The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
handyhands

trucks and rust

First time building anything, father and son project. We will learn as we go.I am looking for 48-53 chevy/GMC. Other than any holes in the body parts, how much rust is too much? Thanks for any help.
handyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Indian113

Re: trucks and rust

1) What is your ability to weld?
2) What is your budget?
3) Do you have a assortment of tools?

Not being a smart az- but I would look arouind for a started project,with a tiltle and as little rust as possible the first time.
I bought my 64 from Arizona because of rust issues in Iowa,also my 53 came from Minnesota. I had a real lesson when I started to take it apart. Take pictures when you find something and the guy's on this site will help you decide. The knowledge and freindship is awesome.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
bajabob

hh
It all depends... I had some body rust on my truck but nothing really structural while I have seen others here who had done some amazing work. Indian might be on to something when he suggests a project that is a little further along. I have done a few basket cases and saved money initially but what a headache tracking down all the missing parts !!! My next one will be complete and maybe even a runner that needs to be redone.
bajabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
mr48chev

I'd have to agree with Indian 113. a truck with a good title is a must these days along with as little rust in the cab and frame as possible. Fenders can be changed along with doors, hoods and grills but having the best cab you can find to start with gives you a solid foundation to build on and takes a lot of frustration out of the project.
Almost every car/truck forum is full of tales of woe when it comes time to walk a vehicle through the dmv when it doesn't have a good title. The state I live in isn't too bad as we can get a three year registration without title and at the end of three years if no one shows up with a legit title to the rig. It isn't really much of a gamble or a guy can get a bonded title to the rig. Check your states regulations before buying one without a title though.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
sgtusmc

I have to agree with the others. I'd make sure the truck comes with a title. You could find almost every patch panel for these trucks. However, I hate rust and I REALLY hate having to weld in patches (but that's just me). Good luck with your future project.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=sgtusmc
U.S. Marines - Certified Counselors to the 72 Virgins Dating Club.
sgtusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:29 AM   #6
TheDude

Just started working on my '47, I have the typical rust issues, cab corners, and a bit on the floor. I intend to use the truck as a work vehicle, so I am not at all concerned about making a show car. I don't have a welder. So here's my question: what do you guys think about just filling the cab corners? I think there are a few products besides standard bondo, heck, maybe even fiberglass?

Also, I was considering using a structural epoxy that we use in foundations and concrete, what do you guys think?
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #7
handyhands

Here is a little more on our plan. This is going to be a s10 swap, already stripped down to chassie. Steal need to pull motor and trans. Clean, paint and replace suspension parts and brakes. I have saved every part off the s10 and have read a lot of post in the last few months. There is no budget, pay as we go or when we can. My son is 14 so we are not in a big hurry to get it done. As for as tools go, my hobby is wood working. So plenty of those tools, air compressor and a few tools. ( I have always tried to do my own car repairs so I do have a few tools) No welder yet, did some welding in high school about thirty some years ago. I do have a few car guys in the family if I need help.
handyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
sgtusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Just started working on my '47, I have the typical rust issues, cab corners, and a bit on the floor. I intend to use the truck as a work vehicle, so I am not at all concerned about making a show car. I don't have a welder. So here's my question: what do you guys think about just filling the cab corners? I think there are a few products besides standard bondo, heck, maybe even fiberglass?

Also, I was considering using a structural epoxy that we use in foundations and concrete, what do you guys think?
I hate to be a nay-sayer, I'm sure you will regret doing it that way (the next owner sure will! if it ever get's sold.). I'd say do it right the first time. Save up some bones and buy a small welder new or used. Trust me, it will come in handy for future repairs in the garage and around the house.

handyhands-I'm a huge fan of the fater & son builds. I did the swap on my 53 GMC. Let me know if you need pic's or help. You could check out my 53/s10 build. It's was a low budget build with the help of my wife & my son. Once again, good luck on the build!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=sgtusmc
U.S. Marines - Certified Counselors to the 72 Virgins Dating Club.
sgtusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #9
FFredo

I guess everyone already said it pretty good.
I'll add that if I had been smart enough to look for and seen this kind of damage I would have passed and looked for something a bit easier to bring back. I got lucky, the pass side is only "almost" as bad .

FFredo is offline   Reply With Quote