The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Well, The Windows Are Going In

Still a long way away from driving her. I guess it goes that way with a one-man project.

Even so, I have a new seat that my wife wants out of the extra bedroom. And the seat does not like cats. And the "shop dog' wants to chew on my wiring.
So, after the doors went on, I decided to put the windows in. The doors were completely bare of all parts. I have donor doors for parts and comparison.

I put in the newly rejuvenated wing windows (cleaned up) in an hour the other day. Sadly, back out with them, it turns out to get the windows in.
I managed to get the parts lined up (windows and window crank for now....door handles and locks next). I "horsed" everything in doing no damage to
the glass coating. Maybe a little.... It's a driver.

Nasty job for a guy that's never done it before. I got pretty proud of myself until I put in the felt that goes over the top, down thru the window sill next to the door lock,
and then along the channel that screws into the door jam with one screw, and screws to the inner door skin with two big round-head machine Phillips.

Here's today's problem:

I couldn't get the felt to lay down so the window runner (the part that the window sits on/in) will ride freely up and down.
In hour of being either pissed, sweaty, or calculating and "sensitive". No luck.

I took the part the runner rides in (the channel) out and in six times. Tried to feed the felt up thru the channel...I did about everything
I knew how to do. I decided, "I'm just gonna cut this S.O.B"...Then, I knew it was time to call it quits and ask you folks for help.

The window's in, wind-wind, crank, runners, but I left the internal channel out for now until I could get the felt gasket (runner?) in. .
The felt is just "running free" until I can get some help.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks.
Attached Images

But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 06-12-2011 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Cain't Spel
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Well, The Window Are Going In

-
I don't know if you are familiar with the FAQ Forum or not. Scroll down to the bottom of this page and you will see the "Forum Jump" box. Click on the little down arrow on the right side of the box and scroll down to "FAQ Truck Tech". On that page go down to "Thread / Thread Starter: FAQ Index Thread". When you get into that scroll down to the "67-72 Door related FAQ's". You will find some info there.

I could have just posted a direct link but there is a lot of good info in the FAQ section and now the new people that read this thread will know how to get to it. Thanks to Krue for indexing the FAQ's

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
QKENUF4U

good luck with your windows.... just wondering about your trans dipstick mounting .. is it rubber mounted ?
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
magwakeenercew2jh

Quote:
Originally Posted by QKENUF4U View Post
good luck with your windows.... just wondering about your trans dipstick mounting .. is it rubber mounted ?
Nope. I have a tranny fluid funnel that is used just for that tube.
You no like?
But always a rat.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
magwakeenercew2jh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I don't know if you are familiar with the FAQ Forum or not. Scroll down to the bottom of this page and you will see the "Forum Jump" box. Click on the little down arrow on the right side of the box and scroll down to "FAQ Truck Tech". On that page go down to "Thread / Thread Starter: FAQ Index Thread". When you get into that scroll down to the "67-72 Door related FAQ's". You will find some info there.
Thanks for the GREAT TIP, LockDoc. I did what you directed. I'll use this FAQ Index regularly.
Nice, nice tool.

I didn't find any specific reference to problems with the top/rear felt install that I'm having.
Maybe someone else has had a "tough fit" issue on these, as well.
Attached Images

But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 06-12-2011 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Stil cain't spel
Old 06-12-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
QKENUF4U

Cool Re: Well, The Window Are Going In

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh View Post
Nope. I have a tranny fluid funnel that is used just for that tube.
You no like?
its cool but i would be worried about it ripping loose/breaking loose cause of the trans/engine moving around/vibrating...
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #7
magwakeenercew2jh

Quote:
Originally Posted by QKENUF4U View Post
its cool but i would be worried about it ripping loose/breaking loose cause of the trans/engine moving around/vibrating...
Ahhhh! There's plenty of play in it. It's a rubber line encased in steel mesh-or whatever they call it. "Braided", I guess.

I do appreciate the concern. Thanks.
But always a rat.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
magwakeenercew2jh

Okay. Up to this morning there was no help. Before I called pals at ECE, I decided to start fresh with the passengers door. Here's the step-by-step.

It pertains to doors that are COMPLETELY gutted. So, that, along with the fact that you may know what you're doing, but I'm a simple gearhead that does not...
And, I'll try to be clear, but won't use the correct terminology.

Also, forty people..at least...will say, "How come you did it this way?" I've got pretty thick skin, but my answer would have to be,
"Where were you when I posted the original question. No offense. And, since my way worked, it worked. If you can save someone else some pain, feel free.

Window = Glass
Rear Channel = The metal part that is inside the door that screws in with one screw on the jam and two low on the inner door skin
Screw = Machine Phillips. Most are about 1/4 " with a head a little smaller than a dime
Little Screws = Small sheet metal screws that hold in the Wind Wing
Wind Wing = The whole wind wing assembly with glass and frame
Slot = Opening at the top of the Door Jam where the bottom of the glass would be if it were rolled all the way up
Crank Assembly = All the stuff inside the door attached to the window crank except the
Window Runner = The horizontal piece that attaches to the Crank Assembly
with two nylon buttons and one to a track on the inside of the inenner door skin. It holds the bottom of the window in a slot
Rear Felt = the felt that starts in the top of the window slot right behind the top of the Wind Wing, and runs all the way across, down, thru the "Slot" and into the Rear Channel.
Window Crank = A window crank

One more disclaimer: My Window Runner had supple tape in it that grabbed at the bottom of the window very well. So, I didn't put in new tape or goo of any kind.
I may be sorry about that later. But the window goes up and down nicely right now....so, we'll see if I have to go back.

1- Good night's sleep
2. Coffee if you use it should be applied first to the inside of your mouth
3. Decide you are going to have a good attitude about this. It ain't cancer. It's a truck
4. Collect a small phillips, a stout phillipps, some good grease, a couple of rags, a drop light, a
flashlight you can hold in your mouth, and all the parts above.

5. Slide in the Crank Assembly.
5a.Figure out how to connect the nylon button that faces you to the inner door channel. Put two screws (out of four) into the assembly necxt to the window crank shaft that's sticking out.
You can line these up after the first screw is in (not tight) by turning the window crank.
6. Grab the Window Runner and slip it thru the hole in the inner door. Pretty easy. Slide it back and forth...One nylon "button" at a time on the Crank Assembly slides into grooves on the Window runner
7. Using only the screw in the door jam (it's a little longer than all the rest and has a washer on it , install the Rear Channel. You leave it loose at the bottom for now for a reason
8. Install the Wind Wing. If you took it out, you know you have to rotate it 90 degrees on installation thru the Slot, then, after you get it in, roatate back and press forward...Watch out for the spring at the bottom.
9. One Screw thru the inner door skin and one Little Screw shoud be put in the Wind Wing now to insure it's where it's supposed to be. You'll be pissed about this later.
10. Install the new Rear Felt starting at EXACTLY the rear of the top of the Wind Wing. Follow it all the way to the rear of the top of the window (should be a few little cuts in it for the curve,
then down next to the lock and thru the slot. Make sure it's not wrinkled or twisted and press it into the Rear Channel all the way to the end of the Rear Felt
11. Now take out the Wind Wing. Pisser, huh? Start by pulling about four inches of Rear Felt out and let it run wild
12. Lower (or raise) The Window Runner to mid-level
13. Grab the Window and tilt it 45 degrees forward
14. Get it all the way to the Window runner and let it rest there
15. Put the Wind Wing back in
15a. Replace the 4-5 ' of rear felt in the groove
15b Horse the Window to the horizontal, resting on the Window Runner...Not yet pressed into the slot in the Window Runner
16. This part is important: Before you commit the Window to a position on the Window Runner, make sure that there is about 3/4 inch of clear Window extending past
the Window Runner, and into the Rear Felt at the leading edge of the Window Runner. I think it's best to just let it sit there. Take a break. You are now sweaty.
17. Put the screws thru the inner door into the Rear Channel. Loose is okay.
18. Roll the window Crank up, guiding the window on the way up into the felt in the Wind Wing and into the Rear Felt. Press hard to make sure the Window is seated in the Window Runner.
19. Roll it up and down a few times.
20. Works? Tighten and replace all the screws. Still works? Cool.
21. Doesn't work, or hangs up? Damn. I did it six times ending with the first 20 steps. I hope you don't have to.

22. Here's where I put in the anti-rattle and wipers in the Slot. Any fool can do that.....

Hope this helps someone. Pics tomorrow or Wed. But for now:
Attached Images

But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 06-13-2011 at 09:51 PM.