The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
AirSpeed

Tie rod ends and front end alignment

Last week I was looking for a noise coming out of my front end, I jacked up the front end and shook the crap out of everything, everything was tight and the only thing I could find that could be making the noise was the upper leaf spring bushing. Today I replaced the bushings and the noise it now gone but I found that both tie rod ends were VERY worn and very sloppy. I can't figure out how they could be so sloppy after just a few days!
Anyway, I ordered new ones, they will be here tomorrow and now I'm curious what I can do to keep the front end aligned when I replace the tie rod ends on my other truck I remember spinning the wheels while holding a piece of chalk against the tread, drawing a line all the way around then measuring the line, making sure I end up with the same measurements after I install the new ends. I can't get time to have the front end aligned at a shop for at least a week. Are there any other methods I could use to get the alignment very close? Thanks! Aaron.
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Re: Tie rod ends and front end alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
Last week I was looking for a noise coming out of my front end, I jacked up the front end and shook the crap out of everything, everything was tight and the only thing I could find that could be making the noise was the upper leaf spring bushing. Today I replaced the bushings and the noise it now gone but I found that both tie rod ends were VERY worn and very sloppy. I can't figure out how they could be so sloppy after just a few days!
Anyway, I ordered new ones, they will be here tomorrow and now I'm curious what I can do to keep the front end aligned when I replace the tie rod ends on my other truck I remember spinning the wheels while holding a piece of chalk against the tread, drawing a line all the way around then measuring the line, making sure I end up with the same measurements after I install the new ends. I can't get time to have the front end aligned at a shop for at least a week. Are there any other methods I could use to get the alignment very close? Thanks! Aaron.
Posted via Mobile Device

Marking a line on the tire and measuring front & back is the way to go, about a 1/8 toe in, done right and you shouldn't need to go to the alignment shop.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I measure the distance from zerk fitting on the inner, to the zerk fitting to the outer, then make the new one the same length.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:59 AM   #4
AirSpeed

Thanks guys! I will try a combination of both!
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

And you could also try the counting the threads method by counting how many revolutions it takes to remove it. I always lose count.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
85_C10_Sleeper

i run 1/16 " of tow on 30's But thats just me. I wouldnt run anymore than 1/4 on a normal size tire. and i would do 1/16 at the least.

And as far as method goes, i scribe the tires and get a buddy to help me measure it. make sure your accurate were you measure! First time i did it my friend kept moving the measuring tape up and down every measurement!
305ci - 700r4 - 10 bolt - 3:08 gears
Collecting parts for a 'mild prerunner"
85_C10_Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote