The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
gulffishin

Door needs adjusting, but how?

My drivers side door has fairly straight gaps with the exception of the edge along the roof. While sitting in the drivers seat I can see the sky through the gap at the top I have read my manual and have tried adjusting the hinges, but am not really sure which way I need to adjust the door to close up that gap

The bottom closes up good and the sides seem to be pretty good...it's just the top and just on the drivers side..

Any suggestions?

Last edited by gulffishin; 10-03-2010 at 10:38 PM.
gulffishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:30 AM   #2
Rich 5150 69

Re: Door needs adjusting, but how?

Do you have a door seal on it...and is it flush with the front and back edge at the top ...?
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

I have a similar issue with my passenger side door at the top. I have new door seals on but the top of the door leaks like crazy. The top of my door is out a little.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

One tip I’ve heard about door alignment is to always adjust the door against the panel that can’t be moved first. This would normally be the quarter panel on a car, or the back of the cab on our trucks. Although the rear edge alignment may look okay, if you have a large gap at the top the door needs to be raised. On mine, I loosened the hinges and removed the latch striker, then shimmed the lower edge of the door with paint sticks until it squared up. I then climbed through the cab and tightened the hinges with the door in the closed position. It could also be that your hinge pins are badly worn and it won’t adjust properly until they are repaired. Another possibility is the door opening in your body isn’t within specifications and may need repair. These cabs are made up of so many individual parts I’m surprised the doors fit well when new.

The following won’t fix the alignment, but if leakage is a problem it might help to add the upper door gasket designed for the 60-61 if you don’t already have them. GM left this off the later trucks, but should fit fine on any 60-66.

It’s a U shaped seal that forms a channel causing water to run down the edge of the door toward the bottom instead of running inward against the top of the main body seal. Here’s a photo of the profile:

The short leg (seen on the right) goes against the inner flange of the door and the long leg compresses against the body opening creating the channel. On the OEM seal, the long leg was about 30% taller and worked even better. Unfortunately none of the aftermarket seals are identical to the original, but they still channel water away from the inner body seal. It is shown as item 6 on the following catalog page:

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cbe/full.aspx?Page=11
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Thanks for the info. I dont have the seal on the doors just on the cab. Something to add to my next LMC shopping list.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
gulffishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 5150 69 View Post
Do you have a door seal on it...and is it flush with the front and back edge at the top ...?
No seal on it yet (I do have seals ready to be put on though). It looks like the corner of the door (next to the A-pillar) needs to be pushed in and maybe up a little.

I will post pics of it tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
gulffishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
One tip I’ve heard about door alignment is to always adjust the door against the panel that can’t be moved first. This would normally be the quarter panel on a car, or the back of the cab on our trucks. Although the rear edge alignment may look okay, if you have a large gap at the top the door needs to be raised. On mine, I loosened the hinges and removed the latch striker, then shimmed the lower edge of the door with paint sticks until it squared up. I then climbed through the cab and tightened the hinges with the door in the closed position. It could also be that your hinge pins are badly worn and it won’t adjust properly until they are repaired. Another possibility is the door opening in your body isn’t within specifications and may need repair. These cabs are made up of so many individual parts I’m surprised the doors fit well when new.

The following won’t fix the alignment, but if leakage is a problem it might help to add the upper door gasket designed for the 60-61 if you don’t already have them. GM left this off the later trucks, but should fit fine on any 60-66.

It’s a U shaped seal that forms a channel causing water to run down the edge of the door toward the bottom instead of running inward against the top of the main body seal. Here’s a photo of the profile:

The short leg (seen on the right) goes against the inner flange of the door and the long leg compresses against the body opening creating the channel. On the OEM seal, the long leg was about 30% taller and worked even better. Unfortunately none of the aftermarket seals are identical to the original, but they still channel water away from the inner body seal. It is shown as item 6 on the following catalog page:

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cbe/full.aspx?Page=11
Thanks for the tips, but how did you tighten the hinges with the door closed? You must have loosened the hinges on the body; not the door.

Can you access the lower door hinge without removing the fender?

That's a good idea about using the other weatherstripping along with the one that is already on there. I may do that too.

Thanks for the help
Old 10-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulffishin View Post
Thanks for the tips, but how did you tighten the hinges with the door closed? You must have loosened the hinges on the body; not the door.

Can you access the lower door hinge without removing the fender?

That's a good idea about using the other weatherstripping along with the one that is already on there. I may do that too.

Thanks for the help
Yikes! Wrong car! It was over 10 years ago, I guess I better start refreshing my memory before speaking! Obviously the hinge to body bolts are adjusted from outside. Same principles apply however, I shimmed the door in position before tightening the hinge mounting bolts (with the fenders off) with the assistance of a helper to hold everything in alignment. Then smaller adjustments can be made if needed to make up for sag in the hinges after they are opened. Although the door does need to be open (if the fenders are in place) to adjust the in or out alignment via the hinge to door bolts in the jamb area. Thanks for adressing the goof.

Here's the applicable section from the 1960 Chevy Shop Manual:

Last edited by markeb01; 10-04-2010 at 07:59 PM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:57 PM   #9
CEE1NG_RED

...subscribed.
- 2003 Ford SVT Cobra "Terminator" 281 (Once in a blue moon driver/weekend driver)
CEE1NG_RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
Vernski

Markeb01 I wondering if the adjustment is the same for 4-5-6 or anyone else if they know for sure thanks ?...Vernski
Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote