The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
85_C10_Sleeper

A few noob questions

A.)
I was planning on going with th400, but i have a fresh 700r4 rebuilt less than 5k ago and was never beat on... Long story short, im looking to do a couple things to my 85 700r4 to make it shift alot better. Im in the process of building a nitrous 350(or 383 stroker, havent purchased the crank yet ), just waiting on funds, nothing too special. Just my toy, not trying to win any races or nothing.

my problems with the trans right now, (running a mild 305 - intake, carb, cam, headers,) are that all the shifts are rediculously early. Ive done allmost all i can do with the TV cable adjustment. and that helped me alot. But when i launch, it shifts into 2nd at around 3k. which with the short 1st gear, is a big problem. i love how it shifts when im just cruising, trans shift points when cruising feels like it has a towing shift kit in it, definitely doesn't shift early when im cruising. But when i nail it all that seems to go out the window.

when i launch itll shift 1-2 and then 2-1 and then once back in 1st it runs awsome.

If the trans itself isnt doing it i believe it could be 2 things.

1. I could be me, without knowing it, letting off the gas enough (1-2 shift) and then getting back on it (2-1)? Im just learning track manners and all that(which is why im running my 305, just learning in something slow so i cant get in too much trouble) . i have no clue as to why id be doing that but its very possible that i could get the jitters or something.

2. It could be that the electronic advance distributer and all that is working against me? Ive had problems with this distributer were i nail the gas and it would take a second for it to pick up. plan on ditching it and going with a vacuum advance on the 350.

Were would these parts get me
I do not in anyway plan on installing them, leaving it to a family friend who builds performance transmissions for a living.

-TransGo Performance 7-2P - TransGo High Performance Servo Kits(corvette servo?)
-TransGo Performance 700-2-3 - TransGo Performance Shift Kits
-B&M 80842 - B&M Pro Ratchet Shifters
-Summit Racing SME-1008R - Summit Racing® Manufacturing Aluminum Transmission Pan
-Trans filter

Ive seen on several 3rd gen camaro forums that a corvette servo and a good shift kit will get the transmission were i want it.

B.)
Should i run a sway bar in the front?

From what ive seen it seems like no one is running them, I pulled mine off and love the ride. I drive pretty slow on the street, dont have p/s either so i dont take turns fast. Read thru the suspension sticky looking for stuff on sway bars

C.)
Anyone know were i can pick up aluminum door panels for my 85 c10? Been looking but cant find any nice clean ones, most of them have flames n such on them.

Sorry for the huge wrightup, but instead of making 3 or 4 threads i decided to make one large one!
305ci - 700r4 - 10 bolt - 3:08 gears
Collecting parts for a 'mild prerunner"
85_C10_Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: A few noob questions

WOT shifts are "mainly" controlled by the governor, Trans-go shift kits are great & even include governor springs. BUT to get it perfect get this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-326500/
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote