The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
laplander

Question Stupid wheel question

I'm wanting to go with 16" 6 lug wheels to keep the factory look, and to be able to run 235/85/16 tires. All the 16s I'm finding are either late model with a funky offset, or aluminum that just doesn't work. Did they have 16s from teh factory? I'd really like to run poverty caps if possible. Thanks.
laplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
longhorn70gmc

Re: Stupid wheel question

This is a good question, never hurts to ask. Yes, there are GM stamped steel rims out there for hubcaps. I think mine were made in the 70's for the square trucks, but work and look just the same. I looked for steel 16 inch for years to put hubcaps back on and maintain an original look; tires are plentiful and cheaper for the consumer. People out here just don't want to get up off them and would rather you by their fancy dancy rims as I call them. I went on detatchment to Alamagordo New Mexico and the junk yard in the middle of town has lots of them and set me up with a set for 100 buck. I had them brought back in a huge tri wall with the pack out, so now I have a set. Since then I have found two more out in the desert here. When I sell any of my trucks, I will not allow my 16's or my original 15 to go, so I can always have hubcaps on my trucks. Good luck on finding a pair for your truck. Just stay engaged on your search and they will become available.
R/
Billy

1970 GMC Sierra Grande 402/TH400
(Longhorn)14 years and counting rebuild!
1975 (Build) Chevrolet SWB 4X4 350 SB Lifted 6 inches
1970 Ford F250 Ranger 390 BB
2010 Ford Super Duty F250 XLT W/4 inch lift kit and Pro Comp Tires
Hub Cap Freak!
I need another truck like I need another hole in the head!
I'M IN THE MARKET...AS IT WERE!

Last edited by longhorn70gmc; 06-13-2011 at 01:53 PM.
longhorn70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

16 inch 6 lug rims were made, but are far and few between.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
laplander

How long ago did you get them out of Alamogordo? That might be worth a half a day to me to find some.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn70gmc View Post
This is a good question, never hurts to ask. Yes, there are GM stamped steel rims out there for hubcaps. I think mine were made in the 70's for the square trucks, but work and look just the same. I looked for steel 16 inch for years to put hubcaps back on and maintain an original look; tires are plentiful and cheaper for the consumer. People out here just don't want to get up off them and would rather you by their fancy dancy rims as I call them. I went on detatchment to Alamagordo New Mexico and the junk yard in the middle of town has lots of them and set me up with a set for 100 buck. I had them brought back in a huge tri wall with the pack out, so now I have a set. Since then I have found two more out in the desert here. When I sell any of my trucks, I will not allow my 16's or my original 15 to go, so I can always have hubcaps on my trucks. Good luck on finding a pair for your truck. Just stay engaged on your search and they will become available.
R/
Billy
laplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

knowing Billy's hub cap collection, I suspect he is talkikng about 8 lug wheels when he was talking of 16 inch rims.
The 16 inch 5 or 6 lug rims are almost as rare as unicorn unrine samples.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #6
70cst

[QUOTE=Longhorn Man;4733967]knowing Billy's hub cap collection, I suspect he is talkikng about 8 lug wheels when he was talking of 16 inch rims.
The 16 inch 5 or 6 lug rims are almost as rare as unicorn unrine samples.[/QUOTE]

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #7
longhorn70gmc

Yes, your right mine are 8 lug. I didn't catch the six lug and apoligize for that. The Junk yard there did have allot of six lug GM rims, but I don't remember what size they were. What I do remember is how many old vehicles were there unmolested and just sitting in the junk yards. Hadn't seen anything like it since I was a boy in Ohio. I recommend you call over there to the two yards and check status of stock on hand; it just might lead to what your looking for. Unicorn urine samples may interfear. I got a good laugh on this too. Sorry fella's, meant well though. Yes, there are hubcaps everywhere on the walls of my garage. Take care,
R/
Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
knowing Billy's hub cap collection, I suspect he is talkikng about 8 lug wheels when he was talking of 16 inch rims.
The 16 inch 5 or 6 lug rims are almost as rare as unicorn unrine samples.

1970 GMC Sierra Grande 402/TH400
(Longhorn)14 years and counting rebuild!
1975 (Build) Chevrolet SWB 4X4 350 SB Lifted 6 inches
1970 Ford F250 Ranger 390 BB
2010 Ford Super Duty F250 XLT W/4 inch lift kit and Pro Comp Tires
Hub Cap Freak!
I need another truck like I need another hole in the head!
I'M IN THE MARKET...AS IT WERE!

Last edited by longhorn70gmc; 06-15-2011 at 07:09 PM.
longhorn70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote