The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
Street Sweeper

Dash repair Question

Started disassembling the dash on my '65 Suburban the other day and noticed that somehow the dash had been damaged in its previous life. It looks like either contact with the jump seat or with someone's feet has put two small hairline cracks on either side of the glove box opening. It's hard to tell, but it doesn't look warped - I've just got these two cracks in the metal.

I just wanted to see if 1) anyone has had this on their truck and 2) how hard it might be to repair and 3) what you had to do to fix it. I wasn't sure if it would require welding - or if someone had another idea.

Thanks in advance for your help . . .

Name:  IMG_3183.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  25.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3186.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  24.1 KB

I just wanted to see if 1) anyone has had this on their truck and 2) how hard it might be to repair and 3) what you had to do to fix it.

Thanks in advance for your help . . .
Street Sweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
Byronic
The Beach Cruiser

Re: Dash repair Question

I have the exact same cracks. I just plan on a spot weld to fix.My local welder said $10. Then just sand and paint. I think it happens when the glove box door gets to much weight on it when it's open.
1967 Schwinn Tandem Single Speed
Byronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I had similar cracks in both door jambs, right where the sail panel meets the belt line. The area really takes a pounding from the door slamming. I had a body shop weld them up, and each side cracked again about a month later. So like everything else I fixed the problem with JB Weld.

I formed a reinforcement piece from a hardware store angle bracket, drilled out the crack to keep it from spreading, covered the face of the hole with duct tape and glued in the splint from behind. Once cured, I just pulled the duct tape, blocked it out and finished with primer. Four years later there remains no trace of repair. I’m sure a glove box would take no where near the pounding the driver’s door gets. It’s a simple and effective alternative, especially helpful if you lack welding equipment.

Here’s my earlier post on the virtues of JB Weld:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=369713

Last edited by markeb01; 06-18-2011 at 09:24 PM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:02 AM   #4
Street Sweeper

Thanks for the input. I don't have a welder - or anyone close by to do these quick jobs. I may try the JB Weld route 9sounds like an effective fix) . . . or . . . maybe it's a good excuse to convince the wife that I need to buy a welder. Hmmmm - I think I hear opportunity knocking. I mean, I do have holes in the floor that need to be replaced too.
Street Sweeper is offline   Reply With Quote