The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #26
VWBeamer

Re: Honest opinions; new style 19"+ wheels and low profile tires.

I agree, Trucks look better with the fender wellls full, especially a 2WD truck.

On my old 67 a friend talked me into getting a 235/60/15 series tire for the front, never looked right. Later i changed it out for a 235/70/15 series and it looked a whole lot better.

Another thing, as others have mentioned, a 275/45/ 20 will have a taller sidewall than a 255/45/20. Not only that, but the wider tire has bigger air cushion because of the width, so that helps also. So if you run a low profile tire, make it as wide as possible.
VWBeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:33 PM   #27
jcrawl

I know where you are coming from my dad and i argue all the time on what looks best on his 68 (looking for rims rite now) he is old school and say 15 that total out to 30 inches they do look good and im not against 15's to me its all about what looks best on the rigg if im going for stock then 15's but if i have modified it then ill probally go with bigger rims.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #28
jku72

Since you are asking for honest opinions, I shall input mine here. Big rims on an old car look stupid. I've never seen a set that looked like anything but out of place. (sorry to those that have them). In fact, I think big rims are about as sensible as saggy butt pants. Whether it's Boyd Coddington, or Chip Foose, all the cars they build with big rims are rediculous looking. WHY, WHY, WHY?
Not to mention, to get this look, you sacrifice tire life, ride quality, ruin the rims on anything other than Southern California cement parking lots, and pay a lot more.

68 C10 burb
42 Willys MB
46 Dodge WF-32 1.5 ton
53 & 56 Olds'
60 Cadillac
22 Dodge Brothers
jku72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #29
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

big rims and tires take more work to execute well than something simple. To me, the WHOLE build has to fit the style of a 18"+ rim to use one.
Example; big rims and small tires, but with a rim style that fits and a stance and attitude that works together

Example #2, dude who just put big rims on an old ride and thought he would be awesome.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #30
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
big rims and tires take more work to execute well than something simple. To me, the WHOLE build has to fit the style of a 18"+ rim to use one.
Example; big rims and small tires, but with a rim style that fits and a stance and attitude that works together
More work??? I respectfully disagree and your first example makes this point. You talk about the WHOLE build? You have shown a bone stock appearing truck, just dropped. That same truck, with the same drop, would also look killer with 15's utilizing big and littles. And installing those 15's would not be any less work and it wouldn't be simpler.

Big wheels vs. small wheels...... it's all merely personal preference.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #31
glos55

Wow! I think no two people will ever agree on this topic........but think if we all had the same wheels and tires? Put me to sleep already. p.s. I love this forum!
glos55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #32
kieth

That is the difference in this forum, we all seem to like a little bit of everything and we put up with the things we may not find to our liking. Other forums seem to get ruled by a few folks who think their way is the only way. I like the variety, the slammed trucks appeal to a certain crowd, some like them with Patina, some completely customized, I like mine just a bit nicer than stock while some think it is sacreligios to modify in any way. Stock is the only way for them. But here we all may not embrace the same ideas but we all seem to like old Chevy pickups. Remember opinions are like "------" everyone has one and it does not make it right or wrong just their opinion. Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #33
66redw/white
made in america

^ TRUTH. love this forum!

1964 c10-283 powerpack, 3 on the tree

2004 corvette- lowered, borla, tuned. slow

my old girl
1966 c10- 305v8, t-5 sold
66redw/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #34
VWBeamer

Yeb

It's your truck , your money. You can't please everybody, so you have to please yourself. My truck will be slammed and on 20's.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #35
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
More work??? I respectfully disagree and your first example makes this point. You talk about the WHOLE build? You have shown a bone stock appearing truck, just dropped. That same truck, with the same drop, would also look killer with 15's utilizing big and littles. And installing those 15's would not be any less work and it wouldn't be simpler.

Big wheels vs. small wheels...... it's all merely personal preference.
put her side by side a stock truck and say that again. The whole build fits the look...the body is extremely clean, not stock and done well. Add in that the suspension had to be setup to tuck the 20" wheel combo, and look flush in the process. It also looks to have been body dropped, since I don't see any frame below the cab. That same truck might still look cool with smaller wheels, but not AS cool.

Take a more "muscle truck" looking build, wide rears, big engine etc....then 15's are where its at.

It is all preference, and I'm usually partial to the smaller wheels my self. I guess the slammed stuff just fits better to me with the big wheels, vs. a muscle truck.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:40 PM   #36
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
...Big wheels vs. small wheels...... it's all merely personal preference.
Quote:
...It is all preference, and I'm usually partial to the smaller wheels my self.
It would appear that we are pretty much in agreement. My only point to the photo you posted is wheel size is secondary, the tire outside diameter and width drive the bulk of the modifications to that truck. And that truck is truly awesome.

Speaking of big wheels....

Here is a '56 I saw this weekend:

And here is a photo just recently posted in another thread.
Attached Images

Last edited by lakeroadster; 06-21-2011 at 08:59 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #37
VWBeamer

Ummmm, yea, that's just wrong.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:36 PM   #38
Max1775

No donks for me! Tyvm... I like the 15-17" range, but everyone has their own thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Max1775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #39
jcrawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWBeamer View Post
Yeb

It's your truck , your money. You can't please everybody, so you have to please yourself. My truck will be slammed and on 20's.
You hit it on the head we all buy our own crap so if you arent happy with it you bought the wrong rims and thats all there is to it. Like i said earlier i like both it depends on the build!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 11:51 PM   #40
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

When you made the post and asked for "opinions' you opened up a can of worms that seems all to common among the 60-66 owners. This group of truck lovers are much more biased in their opinions regarding wheel size.

Unfortunately many of those biased opinions are based on fiction rather than fact. You can run a wheel bigger than 15" and still get an awesome ride. The ride firmness is determined by sidewall aspect ratio, and rubber compound not rim diameter.

Rims larger than 15" will NOT easily bend or ruin a tire if you hit a pot hole. Once again the potential for wheel damage is determined by sidewall aspect ratio. The material used to manufacturer the rim will have a strong impact on ability to absorb shock with out damage, but the wheel size does not.

I could go on and on with endless comparisons, but it would be in vain....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #41
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Ur correct N2, but you also have to consider some limiting factors. YES, a 20" wheel with a reasonable sidewall can ride and handle just fine....heck Yukons and the like come stock with 20" + rims.
I think within the 60-66 crowd, you have to consider that you really can't run a big sidewall on a 20" rim because the overall diameter would become way to large for the vehicle. Not sure how much room you guys have in the newer body. It seems like too often some folks buy the "most" rim they can afford, and then try to compensate with less tire to keep the rolling stock the same diameter. This is what seems to lead people to certain misconceptions.

Since we are on the topic, I'd also like to address folks who put big wheels on the car or truck, and don't consider any other changes to the suspension or braking. Haven't we all seen the 90 Caprice Classic on the side of the road because 150k mi ball joint decided it didn't want to play nice with 26's

Last edited by BR3W CITY; 06-22-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #42
SulphuriousSam

Quote:

Example #2, dude who just put big rims on an old ride and thought he would be awesome.
What you talking about Willis?! That IS awesome! I need to get a mid 80s Yugo and try that one...blingidy blingidy j/k

1966 C10 LWB, 283, 3 on the tree (lots of work to do!) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471348
2001 Suburban daily driver
2008 HHR (wife's ride)
SulphuriousSam is offline   Reply With Quote