The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
greasemonkey71

Hei

ok what do i need to convert to an HEI

can i get a kit or do i have to buy everything seperatly
greasemonkey71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: Hei

An HEI distributor, a set of plug wires and a length of wire to run full 12v power to the new distributor.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
cparman
sharp as a marble

I have done a bunch of these. I think you can buy a complete dizzy, including a cap, coil, coil cover and rotor from JEGS. I will also buy a set of semi taylored plug wires. I like the TAYLOR brand. That way you can cut the plug wire to length, and make them fit nice. Runs a 16ga wire from a key on hot terminal at the fuse box. Make sure that you have 12v+ while cranking, and away you go. Here is a pic of my truck with the wires run under the manifolds. The way I run the wires is like a 78 Corvette. The front two are routed between the motor mount and the block.
Attached Images

cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
doodah man

Great timing. I'm planning the same project for 4th of July weekend. Hopefully, I'm not hijacking this thread but pushing it along in the same direction.

I've got a Skip White HEI dizzy, MSD universal HEI plug wires, a 12 gauge wire, an inline 30 amp fuse, a box of butt connectors, some female connectors, and a timing light.

I'm going to take a close look at the fuse box this weekend to find the IGN UNFD terminal to connect the new ignition wire. I've read a lot of threads on this site, but it seems like you can connect on the engine side of the firewall or the cab side. Is this correct? I also got from threads on here that the 30 amp fuse between ING terminal and dizzy BAT terminal was necessary.

I talked to an mechanic friend about this and he said I could just carefully mark the positions of the rotor and the vacuum advance can before pulling the points dizzy and drop the HEI in the same position and I'd be good to go. Some info on this site and elsewhere insists on finding TDC first. Any comments?
We're not the jet set
We're the old Chevrolet set
doodah man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
doodah man

Hey greasemonkey71,

I can see that this thread is not getting a big response. Probably because HEI conversion is covered pretty well in threads on here already. Here's some links to information I've found while researching how to make the HEI conversion:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=148346

http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/hei.htm

http://www.pontiacstreetperformance....onversion.html

http://rmcavoy.freeshell.org/HEI.html

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=62040

http://www.gofastnews.com/showthread...nce-Simplified

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=290498

There are consideration for fit in the case of 4WD, but it is supposed to fit in 2WD (but it may be tight). You'll also need to sort out your wiring plan. There are a couple options described in the threads and links above.

Hope that helps. Like I said I'm going to be doing this next weekend. I'll try to take some pictures of the process. I let you know how it goes.
We're not the jet set
Old 06-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah man View Post
Some info on this site and elsewhere insists on finding TDC first. Any comments?
I think it's a good idea if you haven't done this before to find TDC. This way if you get goofed up, confused...etc, you will be at the right starting point.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
doodah man

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I think it's a good idea if you haven't done this before to find TDC. This way if you get goofed up, confused...etc, you will be at the right starting point.
I'm generally goofed up and confused...not much can be done about that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I try it without first finding TDC and get screwed up, can't I just pull the HEI out, find TDC and start over? I know, I know, do it right the first time...but where's the fun in that?
We're not the jet set
Old 06-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Sure you can. MOST people will try and point the rotor toward the #1 cylinder althought it can really be pointed at the truck as long as the wires are correct. Biggest trick is as you slowly pull up the dizzy, you'll notice the rotor will rotate and then stop once the dizzy is free from the cam gear. Just make sure when you go to stuff the HEI you start the rotor in the same place so it will easy down correctly on the slot in the on the oil pump shaft. Marking the vac can will get you close with timing assuming the truck was timed correctly to start with. Might be a good idea to familiarize yourself with the above threads and steps so we don't complete yet another timing/dizzy thread. Let us know how it comes out.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote