The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
mgkgmc

Stuck spindle

Hey can anyone provide some tips to removing a spindle? I cant get the lower ball joint off the spindle.
Posted via Mobile Device
mgkgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
late68

Re: Stuck spindle

Make sure the jack stand is under the crossmember and not the control arm and beat the living shi* out of the top. It should pop right out. Easier also is the upper control arm is off where you can turn the rotor to the side for better access.

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=470902
late68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
BMERDOC

Pickle forks rarely work and usually mess up the boot if you wanna reuse it. You really have to get a BFH and hit the lower spindle at the joint like you mean it. If you have to hit it too much it marrs the spindle so you gotta hit it with all you got. Make sure you have a jack about an inch under the control arm so you dont get a cool coil spring tattoo in the middle of your chest. If you have to, heat the spindle at the joint with a hand held propane torch to swell it some. Don't worry about metal fatigue, its not hot enough for that. If you plan to keep the lower joint keep the heat away from the boot and leave the nut on the joint loosely so in case you miss you dont ruin the threads. A soaking with your favorite penetrent wouldnt hurt either.
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
Boog
laying low

Most times you can put your frame on a jack stand. Remove shock and allow the lower control arm to fully drop. Place a floor jack just under the lower control arm but not touching it. Loosen the ball joint nut but leave it on by a few threads. Take a hammer and give some good smacks to the side of the part of the spindle that sits down over the ball joint stud. It may take several hits before it pops loose. The spindle nut still threaded on the stud will catch and prevent the control arm from slamming down. Once loose raise the jack up under the control arm, remove the nut and slowly lower the arm.
Also there are tools used to hammer in between the spindle and ball joint to pry them apart. Looks something like a pickle fork. Not expensive and some parts stores may have a loaner tool program.
This should get you there.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:02 AM   #5
mgkgmc

Thanks for the response everyone I finally got the spindle off with your help. I cant wait to get it finished.
Posted via Mobile Device
mgkgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:09 AM   #6
Rooster's 67

Boog has the right method, With the BFH method, you must remove the shock. there must not be anything supporting the arm outboard of the piviot shaft. LEAVE THE NUT ON THE BALL JOINT,LOOSEN IT SO THERE IS NO MORE THAN A 1/4 INCH GAP BETWEEN NUT AND SPINDLE. If you back the nut almost all the way off, I have seen the sudden release with spring pressure strip the threads right off. This will cause a violent release of nut, and possibly spring.
Jack stands under frame, use very sturdy jack under end of control arm with about an inch clearance, no closer to the pivot shaft than the spring pocket.

Be careful!

Lastly SWING, and SWING F'n HARD!!!
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:10 AM   #7
Rooster's 67

Haha I was seven minutes late, but im sure someone else will need the info
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:04 PM   #8
Dano69c10

I'll be using the info tonight when I change out my lower control arms. Good thread.
Dano

It ain't yours, if you didn't build it!
Dano69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote