The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
55metalmonkey

CPP frame mounted brake question

I'm down to the last 2 of the kit parts that came with my truck, BTW I picked the truck up as a project the PO didn't have the time to complete.... the good thing was that he wasn't a hack and didn't cheap out on parts (+ for me)

I have a frame mounted dual cyl brake booster from CPP and the proportioning block/ valve. I had to move the block to the frame vs under the brake booster to clear the trans cross member..... no big deal and I think it looks better on the frame anyway.

the problem is that I don't have the instructions for this paticular piece and the CPP tech article section doesn't have a great deal of pics to help with understanding the write up.

To the best of my knowledge the PO bought the proper kit for a 4 corner disc brake set up since that is what he already converted when I picked up the project, the truck has a camaro rear with disc and camaro front clip with disc

On the proportioning vale there are 5 ports on the last pic I labled them a,b,c,d,e.
My question is what goes where? I know a & b go to the brake booster but c,d,and e have me a little stumped.
The options I can think of are
1:
c--- front left
d--- front right
e--- to rear split with tee left and right

2:
c--- capped
d--- front with tee split left and right
e--- to rear with tee split left and right

3:
c---front with tee split left and right
d---rear with tee split left and right
e--- capped

4: cross corner euro style
c--- front right and rear left
d--- front left and rear left
e--- capped

5:
c---capped
d--- capped
e--- tee'd to all brakes with ajustable propotioning valve for rear

as you can tell there are lots of options but I'm not sure of how to route the lines using the CPP kit. I'm going to assume that option #1 is right but some experienced input would be very helpfull.
Attached Images

Last edited by 55metalmonkey; 06-18-2011 at 12:55 AM.
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:28 AM   #2
tmoble

Re: CPP frame mounted brake question

yep, A & B are in from the M/C, C & D either way out to L & R front, E out to the rear. I wouldn't combine the fronts off one port.

Last edited by tmoble; 06-18-2011 at 01:30 AM.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:08 AM   #3
55metalmonkey

Thanks, the CPP site would be a bit more helpfull with pics or diagrams, directions are pretty good but like they say a picture is worth a 1000 words.
I figured #1 sounded like the best way to do it

Last edited by 55metalmonkey; 06-18-2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
fixit-p

http://www.classicperform.com/Instru...structions.pdf

Quote:
Originally posted by:Abraham Lincoln "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine."
fixit-p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
55metalmonkey

Go figure there would be a diagram. I searched their site for days before I posted and on the forum since I was sure that the question has come up at some point. now I just feel like I didn't look hard enough.

Thanks for the help, I'll be routing my brakes today
Old 06-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
samdjr74

Just wondering why you wouldn't combine them, rule of thumb or personal experince?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoble View Post
yep, A & B are in from the M/C, C & D either way out to L & R front, E out to the rear. I wouldn't combine the fronts off one port.
samdjr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
55metalmonkey

not an expert but this is my take on it
I think it's because of the amount of fluid flow to each front cliper through the 3/16" line and that the proportioning block has a separate metering valve for each side of the fronts to balance left to rightso you still track straight while stopping if something goes wrong.
the rears both get feed through 1/4" tee'd to each side but the rears also don't work as hard during stopping, more to keep the rear in line and be some help with stopping.

From what I'm told the euro cross corner setup is the best and safest but you need 2 separate adjustable proportioning valves (and a completely different set up to what I have) and it's not the easiest thing to balance left to right ... again I'm not an expert,
most brake systems I have ever delt with over the years I just repair and repace whats there , this is really the first time I need to fully understand the design to get it set up right........ especially with the multiple generations of GM stuff and aftermarket I have on my truck

Last edited by 55metalmonkey; 06-23-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #8
samdjr74

Good info, thanks.

I plumbed both through the same hole on the PV. Looks like I might need to redo it. The truck isn't on the road yet so I don't know if the current set up would even work at this point. The work to change it isn't bad but I'm completely out of brake line, looks like I'll need to get some more

Thanks,
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55metalmonkey View Post
not an expert but this is my take on it
I think it's because of the amount of fluid flow to each front cliper through the 3/16" line and that the proportioning block has a separate metering valve for each side of the fronts to balance left to rightso you still track straight while stopping if something goes wrong.
the rears both get feed through 1/4" tee'd to each side but the rears also don't work as hard during stopping, more to keep the rear in line and be some help with stopping.

From what I'm told the euro cross corner setup is the best and safest but you need 2 separate adjustable proportioning valves (and a completely different set up to what I have) and it's not the easiest thing to balance left to right ... again I'm not an expert,
most brake systems I have ever delt with over the years I just repair and repace whats there , this is really the first time I need to fully understand the design to get it set up right........ especially with the multiple generations of GM stuff and aftermarket I have on my truck
samdjr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
55metalmonkey

I finished mine last night, I'm sure you have it figured out but I'll post a pic anyway, might help.... also I get a chance to brag about being 1 step closer to being on the road
Old 06-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
Russell Ashley

I think you guys are over-thinking the front brake setup. You don't need the front brakes on a separate line, in fact I think you would not want it that way. There's very little fluid movement in the line with disc brakes so a 3/16 line is very adequate. You want equal pressure to the front wheels and you will have that in a single line that tees to both wheels. My proportioning valve has two front outlets but one came with a plug in it. I think the option is for convenience of line routing, not to run separate lines to each front wheel. Race cars probably have a more exotic setup but I'm talking about a street driven truck.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #11
55metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
I think you guys are over-thinking the front brake setup. You don't need the front brakes on a separate line, in fact I think you would not want it that way. There's very little fluid movement in the line with disc brakes so a 3/16 line is very adequate. You want equal pressure to the front wheels and you will have that in a single line that tees to both wheels. My proportioning valve has two front outlets but one came with a plug in it. I think the option is for convenience of line routing, not to run separate lines to each front wheel. Race cars probably have a more exotic setup but I'm talking about a street driven truck.
Your probably right about over thinking it, unfortunately I do that.
I've researched it a fair bit and there is lots of set ups available, talked to a lot of guys on it as well mechanics/ rodders and racers and they all had different takes on it, the most common opinion I got was the independant front with common rear so thats what I went with.