The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
ubtripn

These hgas prices and the effect on the value of our trucks.

I just passed (then stopped to look at) a 68 longbed BUT it had a 327 engine with 4 on the floor stock, original owner, white top, blue body. This truck was not modified in any way accept for a stereo. One owner, a/c, power-steering. Camper Special edition emblems and straight as an arrow and I MEAN STRAIGHT without ANY rust. Brand new Goodyear tires, nice rims (the only other non-stock piece) 96K original miles, PERFECT interior, seat, gauges etc...

$1800 or best offer. What the heck? I know long beds go for a lot less but I like the better ride and load capacity. Value does not mean that much to me because I am building my truck for me and I plan on driving it a LONG time then passing it on but doesn't that seem low?

You should have sen the tailgate, perfect, man I still cannot believe it. This isn't a started project truck, this is a one paintjob and your there truck.

Oh yeah, and perfect chrome.

Last edited by ubtripn; 06-23-2011 at 06:34 PM.
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
Gene

Re: These hgas prices and the effect on the value of our trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubtripn View Post
I just passed (then stopped to look at) a 68 longbed BUT it had a 327 engine with 4 on the floor stock, original owner, white top, blue body. This truck was not modified in any way accept for a stereo. One owner, a/c, power-steering. Camper Special edition emblems and straight as an arrow and I MEAN STRAIGHT without ANY rust. Brand new Goodyear tires, nice rims (the only other non-stock piece) 96K original miles, PERFECT interior, seat, gauges etc...

$1800 or best offer. What the heck? I know long beds go for a lot less but I like the better ride and load capacity. Value does not mean that much to me because I am building my truck for me and I plan on driving it a LONG time then passing it on but doesn't that seem low?

You should have sen the tailgate, perfect, man I still cannot believe it. This isn't a started project truck, this is a one paintjob and your there truck.

Oh yeah, and perfect chrome.
Why isnt it in your driveway? If it was close to me, I would have some splain in to do when my wife got home
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
ubtripn

Good question, I just don't haven't after what I have spent on my two I own already. I was hoping somebody in the area might get it.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
ubtripn

Well, I went back to get pics, 3 guys standing in line with the one in front smiling with the keys.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

If its that fine for that price you should really take a couple of pics and post them. Also post the number for the guy that's selling it. Or at least offer the number up via PM for those that ask for it......

Well I guess I was a little slow (again) lol. Thanks for trying

Last edited by CG; 06-23-2011 at 11:23 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
ubtripn

Man, I still just cannot believe it.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

It's still just a truck. A lot of cats will disagree with me on here... but it ain't a GTO, Chevelle, Mustang, Camaro, etc. These trucks just ain't gonna bring the cabbage a musclecar is.

A bone stock truck like that I would say it was reasonably priced. When theyget tricked out is when the price can go up a bit.

I love my truck and all the trucks of this era. But gas prices ain't got nothin' to do with it. It's still just an old truck.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.

Last edited by GASoline71; 06-23-2011 at 08:53 PM.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #8
ubtripn

I agree somewhat but to me its when they get tricked out that the is what makes the value goes down. I am not into them for the money but in my book they stand strong against conventional muscle cars because they have the line AND can do so much more functionality wise. But I'm from the west and have always loved old trucks.

Last edited by ubtripn; 06-24-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:03 PM   #9
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
It's still just a truck. A lot of cats will disagree with me on here... but it ain't a GTO, Chevelle, Mustang, Camaro, etc. These trucks just ain't gonna bring the cabbage a musclecar is.

A bone stock truck like that I would say it was reasonably priced. When theyget tricked out is when the price can go up a bit.

I love my truck and all the trucks of this era. But gas prices ain't got nothin' to do with it. It's still just an old truck.
Gary

Its more than that...These trucks represent a lifestyle of the past. Trucks may never be as valuable as an SS but these old trucks can be owned by the average person like me. There is no way I could afford to buy an SS but I can afford to but a C10 with a factory 402BB. Few of us drive these trucks as DD but as a hobby which represents years gone by. The 67-72 Trucks represent a special era. JMHO

See the LINK below...
http://www.sporttruck.com/techarticl...cks/index.html

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:20 PM   #10
o6r1man

Hell I bought my to save on gas money...of couse my other truck is a 3/4 4X4 chevy with a dmax in it. I put 20 bucks a week in my dmax to get me back and forth to work and my 71 put 30 in weeks ago and still rocking the samne tank.
2012 Denali HD dmax
o6r1man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:16 AM   #11
OldSkool71
C/10 CLUB MEMBER

im not really concerned about what they are worth...its what they are worth to you...and i can tell you that i have had every kind of chevy....nova..camaro...impala...chevelle...and i would not trade my truck for any of them....they are great in their own right...but im just a truck guy...what can i say...its not a muscle car....its a muscle truck...
Old 06-24-2011, 07:45 AM   #12
mrhino
Account Suspended

I do care about the value. I build, restore, modify, whatever you want to call it. then sell them and then find or save another one and do it again. I love bringing these old trucks back to life. Because I love these old trucks. Right now its just a hobby, but I would like to do it as a profession. I look at it as if im doing a service. Many people do not have the knowledge, the time, the space, or other means to build there own truck, or have not had a father or grandfather pass one down to them, but still want to enjoy a classic truck. Thats where I and others come in and help provide that. at affordable price. Money or value is important, to me. because if I cant make a little money, I wouldn't be able to do more and bring some of these truck back to life. I walked through my local junk yard a month or so back and there was a 69 in decent shape, it could have been something again, instead it was there just rotting away. the only solace I had was knowing that some of its parts where going to help another truck carry on. I know sounds mushy and corny but in a way its the truth. Sorry to ramble on i just thought id share a different opinion then whats been posted so far. "Not thats theres anything wrong with that"
mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:13 AM   #13
CC69Rat

Sounds like we're all in about the same boat. I have restored two 69 Camaros and yes, they will bring some money when they're done right. But, $3,500 for a rusty shell needing pans, quarters, rockers, IF you can find one anymore. You have $7-8k in the rolling shell even before you get started on the restore unless you can do the work yourself.. What I'm trying to say is the Camaros, Chevelles, Novas, etc. have just gotten out of reach for the common man's wallet. (or should I say mine) Another thing is I got tired of all the 'experts' telling me this was wrong, that was wrong, this number didn't match, .. It's my car, I'll build it like I want it.

I have always loved these old trucks. I still love the Camaros and muscle cars too I just can't afford them anymore. They are expensive to build but they bring more money in the end. I personally think it's a wash. I have a 68, and a 69 stepside SWB trucks and I have less money in them both than I did in a driver 69 Camaro. I guess it all depends on what you want or can afford to build.

Honestly I have had more fun with my trucks than I ever did with my Camaros. Just more personality and functionality. A BB is a BB. They all use gas. If you want gas mileage buy a Prius. If you want horsepower you gotta feed it.

Just my .02

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #14
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post

A bone stock truck like that I would say it was reasonably priced. When they get tricked out is when the price can go up a bit.

Gary
I gotta agree with Gary. And if your re-read his post nothin' derogatory was stated, just fact based opinion.

Be it a car or a truck if your buying old school V-8 muscle you shouldn't be worrying about mileage. The current state of the economy is hurting prices much more than fuel prices.

That being said a truck has a useful purpose more than a car. You can drive your Prius for basic transportation, but you can't haul a load of mulch or dirt in it, much less move all you stuff to your new place in it.

These old trucks will always be popular and their styling is just classic. Just enjoy and stop with the bean counting. Life is much less stressfull that way

John

Last edited by lakeroadster; 06-24-2011 at 08:43 AM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:08 AM   #15
ubtripn

Most definitley there was nothing derogatory stated, just opinion which is what good discussion is about plus good learning. I agree.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #16
ubtripn

This truck was a camper special, when I said stock I meant clean and mostly unaltered. I think the lines, especially the one that runs down the side and slopes down the back is are just (ok, almost) as sexy as a GTO's lines. But, I can haul stuff. I have always owned trucks too because of the functionality.

I posted this once but it didn't get through.I would like to see them remake the glamour era truck today like they did the camero, it would be nice, not as good because of all the extra complexities and emission controls but still cool to see.

Personally I would love to own a 66 GTO and a 68 Chevy truck. Then I would be in heaven.

Last edited by ubtripn; 06-24-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:24 AM   #17
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhino View Post
I do care about the value. I build, restore, modify, whatever you want to call it. then sell them and then find or save another one and do it again. I love bringing these old trucks back to life. Because I love these old trucks. Right now its just a hobby, but I would like to do it as a profession. I look at it as if im doing a service. Many people do not have the knowledge, the time, the space, or other means to build there own truck, or have not had a father or grandfather pass one down to them, but still want to enjoy a classic truck. Thats where I and others come in and help provide that. at affordable price. Money or value is important, to me. because if I cant make a little money, I wouldn't be able to do more and bring some of these truck back to life. I walked through my local junk yard a month or so back and there was a 69 in decent shape, it could have been something again, instead it was there just rotting away. the only solace I had was knowing that some of its parts where going to help another truck carry on. I know sounds mushy and corny but in a way its the truth. Sorry to ramble on i just thought id share a different opinion then whats been posted so far. "Not thats theres anything wrong with that"
Good read

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #18
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I agree with everything being said. Thanks for not taking what I said as a slam... it wasn't meant that way. I also couldn't touch some of the musclecars that are out there because of the astronomical prices guys want for them. Even for junkers.

I was able to pick up my rig for $1,000 bucks and go from there. The coolest thing about an old truck turned "hot rod" is that trucks in the day were not made to go fast. So when a truck comes loping up to a stoplight that sits a little lower than stock and has bigs and littles on it. I grin from ear to ear. Knowing that cat didn't have to plunk down $25,000 smackers to get one cool ass rig.

I would love my truck to be worth more. But am also thrilled it is not. Be careful what you wish for whe you cats want these trucks to go way up in value. They will be as unreachable as musclecars. Case in point was the last car show i went to. There were almost a dozen 67-72 Chevy/GMC trucks in the show out of about 75 vehicles that were there. 10 years ago, you were lucky to see many trucks at a show at all. Maybe, and I mean maybe 1 or 2, 67-72 trucks out af 200 vehicles. Now you will see 25 to 30 (or more) in a field of 200.

These rigs are gaining popularity. which is cool as hell. But also can mean way higher prices for original stuff down the road. A very short road. I would love to keep it all a secret that we can have these rigs all to ourselves. But the word is out. One of the best bang for the buck right now is the 67-72 Chevy/GMC trucks.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.

Last edited by GASoline71; 06-24-2011 at 02:03 PM.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #19
leddzepp

Quote:
This truck was a camper special
So it was a Ford?

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #20
ubtripn

No, it was the model above CST with the square emblems - I don't know the exact wording. But I have the same emblems I found at the junkyard.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #21
68 IRON

Quote:
This truck was a camper special, when I said stock I meant clean and mostly unaltered. I think the lines, especially the one that runs down the side and slopes down the back is are just (ok, almost) as sexy as a GTO's lines. But, I can haul stuff. I have always owned trucks too because of the functionality.

I posted this once but it didn't get through.I would like to see them remake the glamour era truck today like they did the camero, it would be nice, not as good because of all the extra complexities and emission controls but still cool to see.

Personally I would love to own a 66 GTO and a 68 Chevy truck. Then I would be in heaven.
I agree with you totally. But take a close look at some of the grills of these newer trucks. I swear they were leaning more to the roots with the grill atleast....could have done a better job.

I bought my son a 68 lwb (he just didnt like 3 on the tree) which my wife started driving, then I bought a 69 with auto. These are simpler trucks that we can both work on without diagnostic equipment.Ya they are rougher on gas but he gets compliments everywhere....and its still pretty rough around the edges. Gotta love true american steel!
68 IRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #22
ubtripn

Well said, the last of the true steel and steal trucks.

Yeah, they are starting to get back to good now. I hated the sculpted bubblegum look, give me some sharp edges.

Last edited by ubtripn; 06-24-2011 at 02:34 PM.