The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

10 years of the Silverado HD

Somehow GM pulled off Motor Trends Truck of the Year with their new Silverado HD. I am personally not fond of the ’07 and later Silverado’s but it got me thinking that the Silverado HD’s are 10 years old now. Wow, time flies. I remember anxiously awaiting for these trucks to hit the market when I was still at GM World Headquarters working on the 1999 Silverado launch. Remember the launch of “The TRUCK”. That was a fun time to be at GM!

Back then (1998/1999 time frame) rumors were flying everywhere that the new 2001 Silverado HD would have a new AAM solid front axle and a NV5600 6 speed manual. In the end, neither happened for the GM twins meanwhile
Chrysler got the new AAM SFA in 2003 in the new Dodge HD's. They also got the NV5600 a few years earlier. At least us GM guys got a new Vortec 8.1L big block and a ZF S6-650 6-speed manual that isn’t too shabby.

When I moved back to CO in May of 2001 for a field rep job, I was pretty anxious to unload the 1998 Z71 that I bought new while living in Detroit to order a new HD truck. Only 3 years old the ’98 was already sprouting rust bubbles under the hood lip and on the rocker panels thanks to the Midwest road salt (no road salt in CO thankfully!) . I contacted my dealer buddy here in town around June of 2001 to place the order for the truck I wanted and he said, you know what?? I have that same truck on stock order that is already late but supposed to be due in August. For whatever reason, the truck still didn’t show up until September, which worked out pretty well as GM started the 0% financing right after September 11th. The odd thing was the truck was built in December 2000! As it turned out, the reason for the delay was GM was building a stock pile of the new HD’s for the launch of the Heavy Duty series and being this truck as a stock order truck it was on the slow boat out of the bailment pool. None the less, it was still frustrating waiting for 4 months for it to arrive.

Here it tis…..10 years and only 52,826 miles later. Certainly looks better than any 2007 or later GM truck IMHO!

6-speed manual with a manual shift transfercase! What trucks should be made of!

The day I brought it home. 9-21-01

What I traded to get the 2001 HD.

Yep, it was a 5 speed with a manual shift transfercase! The last of the Mohicans in the half-tons.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
JohnC

Re: 10 years of the Silverado HD

Looking good man! It is hard to believe how time flies. I was thinking about my 03 the other day, and realized it's almost 8 years old, and to me it seems like a new truck.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
MAC67
" SHOW ME"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
Somehow GM pulled off Motor Trends Truck of the Year with their new Silverado HD. I am personally not fond of the ’07 and later Silverado’s but it got me thinking that the Silverado HD’s are 10 years old now. Wow, time flies. I remember anxiously awaiting for these trucks to hit the market when I was still at GM World Headquarters working on the 1999 Silverado launch. Remember the launch of “The TRUCK”. That was a fun time to be at GM!

Back then (1998/1999 time frame) rumors were flying everywhere that the new 2001 Silverado HD would have a new AAM solid front axle and a NV5600 6 speed manual. In the end, neither happened for the GM twins meanwhile
Chrysler got the new AAM SFA in 2003 in the new Dodge HD's. They also got the NV5600 a few years earlier. At least us GM guys got a new Vortec 8.1L big block and a ZF S6-650 6-speed manual that isn’t too shabby.

When I moved back to CO in May of 2001 for a field rep job, I was pretty anxious to unload the 1998 Z71 that I bought new while living in Detroit to order a new HD truck. Only 3 years old the ’98 was already sprouting rust bubbles under the hood lip and on the rocker panels thanks to the Midwest road salt (no road salt in CO thankfully!) . I contacted my dealer buddy here in town around June of 2001 to place the order for the truck I wanted and he said, you know what?? I have that same truck on stock order that is already late but supposed to be due in August. For whatever reason, the truck still didn’t show up until September, which worked out pretty well as GM started the 0% financing right after September 11th. The odd thing was the truck was built in December 2000! As it turned out, the reason for the delay was GM was building a stock pile of the new HD’s for the launch of the Heavy Duty series and being this truck as a stock order truck it was on the slow boat out of the bailment pool. None the less, it was still frustrating waiting for 4 months for it to arrive.

Here it tis…..10 years and only 52,826 miles later. Certainly looks better than any 2007 or later GM truck IMHO!

6-speed manual with a manual shift transfercase! What trucks should be made of!

The day I brought it home. 9-21-01

What I traded to get the 2001 HD.

Yep, it was a 5 speed with a manual shift transfercase! The last of the Mohicans in the half-tons.
Nice Truck .

I wonder how many of the 98's were made in the ext cab v8 model with a 5spd and manual shift. Cant be many of them . Ill tell you this , I looked and looked and looked for that exact truck for my dad , wasnt quite sure if they made them or not but eventually one popped up on ebay 30 miles from my house so we got it for my dad.

Funny thing is it could pass for a twin to the truck you have , Green and gold 98 z71 ext cab 5spd with the manual shift tcase. I mean identicle when we first got it , he added a topper on it . I will say yours is the only other one ive ever seen . Ill get the last few digits of the old mans vin and see if by anychance we have the same truck . I know its a long shot but there cant be many of them. We got his about 2 years ago when i found it . It also didnt have a cd player , just the cubby hole . Had a ft jackson sticker int he windshield .

Last edited by MAC67; 12-13-2010 at 08:36 PM.
MAC67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC67 View Post
Nice Truck .

I wonder how many of the 98's were made in the ext cab v8 model with a 5spd and manual shift. Cant be many of them . Ill tell you this , I looked and looked and looked for that exact truck for my dad , wasnt quite sure if they made them or not but eventually one popped up on ebay 30 miles from my house so we got it for my dad.

Funny thing is it could pass for a twin to the truck you have , Green and gold 98 z71 ext cab 5spd with the manual shift tcase. I mean identicle when we first got it , he added a topper on it . I will say yours is the only other one ive ever seen . Ill get the last few digits of the old mans vin and see if by anychance we have the same truck . I know its a long shot but there cant be many of them. We got his about 2 years ago when i found it . It also didnt have a cd player , just the cubby hole . Had a ft jackson sticker int he windshield .
Yeah, there weren’t many. I doubt it is the same truck being mine was Indigo blue instead of the Emerald green. When I bought the ’98 we lived in Detroit and GM was giving a smok’in deals on them to GM employees to help get rid of the old body style extended cabs before the new GMT800 1999 Silverado’s started showing up. I absolutely had to have a 5 speed but none could be found in MI, IN, IL, OH, or PA. I ended up calling my dealer buddy back home here in Pueblo and he had two in stock with 5 speeds. I chose the Indigo blue one, as it had bucket seats. My wife and I then flew to CO to pick it up and drive it back home to MI. Funny thing was it was built at Pontiac East assembly which was only like 5 miles from our house. Flat land people aren’t big on manual transmissions I guess. The dealer locator at that time showed several in CO, WY and MT. The closest to MI was in Northern WI but it was a plan jane 1SA peg group work truck with a 5.0L instead of 5.7L.

I actually didn’t care much for the ’98 Z71. The transmission was only a NV3500 where you can go practically 35 MPH in first gear. It also had the notorious frame beam shake that was like riding a bucking bull when cruising on the concrete highways of Detroit and a horrible idle flare when stepping on the clutch while up shifting. The idle would shoot up about 150 to 300 RPM’s depending on the ambient temperature. Your dad’s probably does it as well when it is hot outside. The reason for the flare was in the calibrations to reduce hydrocarbon emissions, which is ultimately why the manual transmissions behind V8 engines in pick up went away. Damn emissions regulations!

That truck did great on fuel though! With 285 tires, I could pull a consistant 18 to 20 MPG cruising at 65 MPH on I-75. I remember the best tank was 22 MPG going from Detroit to Cincinnati. The best tank on the 2001 HD going from Pueblo to Albuquerque with an 8.1L has only been 13 MPG!

Good catch on the missing CD player. CD players weren’t available with manual transmissions nor was the 3rd door.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
MAC67
" SHOW ME"

All be danged , when i first looked at that picture it looked green to me. Biggest problem we have had with dads truck was when the slave took a dump . which involved dropping the transmission to get to the throwout. When we first got the truck i was praising chevy for still building a fairly decent truck in a latemodel and then that happened and they redeemed thierself for by adding something else stupid . what the hell was ever wrong with mechanical linkage and straight axles . Not everyone who wants a gm truck is a soccer mom.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:12 AM   #6
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Nice truck. But why wouldn't you get a Duramax? I mean, better mileage, power, reliability, etc.

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:33 AM   #7
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdstreettito View Post
Nice truck. But why wouldn't you get a Duramax? I mean, better mileage, power, reliability, etc.
Cuz, I am not into diesels and nor am concerned about fuel economy. The 8.1L was a $800 option. The Duramax was a $5000 option at the time. Easy choice for me! Plus in 2001 when I bought this truck, the Duramax was brand new and not many people, including me, had an ounce of faith in the aluminum head Duramax. The Duramax has been alright, but I wouldn’t go as far to say it is more reliable than a 6.0L or 8.1L gas. At 100,000 to 150,000 miles people are replacing $2500 worth of injectors in the diesels while the gas guys are spending $100 for spark plugs and wires.

The 8.1L can't out run a Duramax but it is a cheap alternative to diesel torque.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:08 AM   #8
MAC67
" SHOW ME"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
Cuz, I am not into diesels and nor am concerned about fuel economy. The 8.1L was a $800 option. The Duramax was a $5000 option at the time. Easy choice for me! Plus in 2001 when I bought this truck, the Duramax was brand new and not many people, including me, had an ounce of faith in the aluminum head Duramax. The Duramax has been alright, but I wouldn’t go as far to say it is more reliable than a 6.0L or 8.1L gas. At 100,000 to 150,000 miles people are replacing $2500 worth of injectors in the diesels while the gas guys are spending $100 for spark plugs and wires.

The 8.1L can't out run a Duramax but it is a cheap alternative to diesel torque.
again ive got to agree. There has not been a duramax that ive been around that hasnt been in the shop at least 3 times for gremlins . I dont trust them.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
jakeblues652

nice truck!!! my dad bought one about 5 years ago like that. 1999 2500 4x4 ext cab short bed. i LOVE the HD hood though. that is one of the things i dont like about my dads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Did you figure out how to fix it?...I mean with other than a BFH?!

want to see some slow progress on my truck? http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=436560 <-click there
jakeblues652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:41 PM   #10
DirtyLarry

A few more from a soggy day in the mountains back in 2004. Phantom Canyon road from Cripple Creek to Cañon City.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:16 AM   #11
JohnC

Nice pics!
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:40 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

You did get a good one. Looks good! I have no desire for anything newer than '07. Those first few years still look normal. My buddy got a sweet 2500 crew cab Duramax '07 SRW (searched high & low) in Midnight Blue before they were gone. He's keeping the miles off pretty good but I doubt he'll let it go any time soon,or before it's all used up. It's babied,though. I'm still running my '92 I ordered up my way. I hope I can find something close to how I'd order one when I go to get one. Not too sure It will be a diesel. These days gas motors last plenty long and get mileage pretty close to diesel.I don't see 15mpg being a big savings compared to the cost of the option and possibly "higher" repair/maintenance costs. That option is over $8,000 now! That's just insane. I have no need for all that excessive torque anyway.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #13
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Larry, I really like your truck. The 01 and 02 hd's are some of my favorite trucks ever! I had the same truck as you except 6.0, black and automatic. I am still kicking myself for letting that go. I do like the 8.1's better though and hope to get a black crew cab version of your truck someday when I can afford it and find the right one . I don't like the way the hood overlaps the fenders and you see the seam on the side on the 03+ chevy ones. The 05?-07 GMCs are pretty nice too.

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #14
jb1016
"Oh well, it's a driver."

Great trucks. I like your HD (can't be too many optioned like that) and I like the old 98 too. I'm a big 88-98 guy, and of course I love 67-72s, but IMHO GM trucks never looked better than the 99-02s, specifically the Chevrolets. When they went to the "angry eyes" in 03 it ruined it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Petty
I don't know, but I've been told: You never slow down, you never grow old.
jb1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:12 AM   #15
abebummy26

My dad is looking at a 06 regular cab 3/4 ton with the 6.0 and the 5 speed and it's a 4x4. It's the perfect truck for us. It's even got manual windows and locks, plus a rubber floor mat and upgrade cloth seat I don't think either one of us would have ordered it different. The ac is ice cold. It's Dark Blue Metallic which I think is a really nice color don't see many around here. I just hope we can talk mom into it. It's absolutely cherry, 44,xxx miles. The only flaw I could find was the holes drilled in the top of the bedside for a tool box.

1987 GMC S15 (soon to be a chevy clone)
2.5l, 4 speed, no ps, no pb, no ac

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Spoken by Cletus the hillbilly
I like stickers... a whole bunch.

Last edited by abebummy26; 06-25-2011 at 02:01 AM.
abebummy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:31 AM   #16
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Since the 01 and 02 hd's are my favorite, I decided that is what I needed to have. It took over a year to find the right one. As you would imagine, its hard to find a 10 year old truck with lower mileage, no rust (I'm in MN) and the right configuration (color, cab, 4x4, etc). Well I finally found one that fit the bill and flew down to Dallas to get it last month. Its an 01 ccsb with 65,000 miles, LS with leather, fogs, towing mirrors, 6.0. I'd have preferred manual transfer case but they were impossible to find in a non regular cab. Anyways here is a pic. I'm glad I didn't settle for a more easily found newer HD. Just finished a 2000 mile trip to colorado towing between 6000 and 9000 lbs and it worked great.
Attached Images

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote