The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
Dustyn19

Park Brake Cable For A CCSB

I have a CCSB and the previous owner never connected the park brake cable up. The cable that runs from the pedal to the equalizer is too long. I will be heading out to the salvage this weekend. What style truck uses the same length cable that will work on my CC?

Dustyn
Old 06-24-2011, 12:28 AM   #2
MadManAndrew

Re: Park Brake Cable For A CCSB

I can't help you there, but I had a brand new one custom made by Madisonpowersystems.com. Didn't really feel like trying to make one fit, the one they made me was awesome, especially for only $50. And the cable that runs from the wheels around to the pedal cable you can make out of stainless cable with crimp ends. Hope that helps, Andrew.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
DetroitDan

I think you'd either have to take a measurement with some string, then look through a book or parts store computer for something thats real close, say an inch or so in either direction. Or just get a longer one, cut it and swage an end on it. I did see a part at Advance that looked like it had about 6-8 inch extension built in, if you have a cable a few inches too short.
I went through a pita trying to get one for my cclb, part they got me first was a foot too short, but it was measured and labeled right, near as I can tell the wrong part was in the right box. Did get the right one, but it's still not hooked up because I lost the little barrel clip that holds it to the brake cable from the wheel.

I wouldn't use a junkyard part on an emergency brake. Probably old and weathered and maybe weakened from past use. It's not just a parking brake, it's supposed to also be for emergencies. I stabbed the e-brake pedal once in an emergency when I lost my brakes, and the old crusty cable snapped when the full weight of the truck dragged against it. So then all I had was downshifting.

Last edited by DetroitDan; 06-25-2011 at 09:20 AM.
DetroitDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
madcow75

Don't bother messin around makin one fit goe down to your local driveline shop with your measurements and they will make you one for about the same price it is to purchase one, with no messin around.
madcow75 is offline   Reply With Quote