The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2011, 02:39 AM   #1
TheDude

Bucket seats

I am deciding to forego restoring the original seats, I figure the head rest is a nice safety feature, and I plan to use the truck for work. I would like to use a seat that has the shoulder harness included, I know the Mercedes SL has that, does anyone know of other seats with built in shoulder harness seat belts?
Thanks
Attached Images

TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
sandnuriz

Re: Bucket seats

2002 Chevy or Gmc trucks The higher end ones had them like tahoe or denali! I had a set in my blazer.

It's your ride build it the way you want !!!!!!!!!!
sandnuriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
FFredo

I have a set in my 59 that came out of a 02 GMC, I got them off of craigs list.
FFredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
49bowtie

I'm using seats from a Cadillac CTS, the driver is electric, passenger is manual.
49bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:41 PM   #5
OrrieG

07 Yukon third row seats. Not as cushy as the front ones but offers more steering wheel clearance. And you can fab the brackets to keep the stock tilt and remove feature if you want. gives you three sets of seat belts too.
Attached Images

Last edited by OrrieG; 06-13-2011 at 12:44 AM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
mr48chev

Most of the car seats don't work too well in these trucks as the seat backs take up way too much room with the angles that they sat at. Plus they usually end up looking like an afterthought in the trucks.
Put some thought into it and get seats that actually look like they belong in the truck rather than some that have the stuck them in cause I had them look.
Unless you are 5'7" and weigh around 120 I don't think the Mercedes style seats would be even close to comfortable in an early truck. Maybe Mercedes SUV but not car.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
tbrown8338

i have a 1949 chevy pickup and i want to install bucket seat. what can i take the out of
tbrown8338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown8338 View Post
i have a 1949 chevy pickup and i want to install bucket seat. what can i take the out of
I'd look for seats in Suv's and mini vans or vans that have more upright backs on them. As I said in the post above yours car seats usually have too much angle on the backs and that pushes the seat too close to the steering wheel and dash.
From experience though, nothing beats the stock seat when it is reupholstered right for comfort in one of these trucks with a stock height cab. It may not give the look you want but done right they can be really comfortable.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
flatbed51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I'd look for seats in Suv's and mini vans or vans that have more upright backs on them. As I said in the post above yours car seats usually have too much angle on the backs and that pushes the seat too close to the steering wheel and dash.
From experience though, nothing beats the stock seat when it is reupholstered right for comfort in one of these trucks with a stock height cab. It may not give the look you want but done right they can be really comfortable.
x2

48,49,50 Chevy trucks. 41 Olds
flatbed51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
slugo10

That seat from the Yukon third row is just what I was looking for to go in my '59. You wouldn't haappen to have the dimension of he brackets used to mount it would you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
07 Yukon third row seats. Not as cushy as the front ones but offers more steering wheel clearance. And you can fab the brackets to keep the stock tilt and remove feature if you want. gives you three sets of seat belts too.
slugo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #11
skip99

we went to a salvage yard and looked at hundreds... we chopped the top on our 51, so the van seats were too tall.

finally decided on chrysler sebring ..about 2002, we looked for all manual, low seat bottom height, and thin back that was still comfy..
these even have a little lumbar adjust.

these also have a seat belt bolted to the inside, so you'll just need to fab up the other side.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428878

Last edited by truckdude239; 06-16-2011 at 07:21 AM.
skip99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:49 AM   #12
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugo10 View Post
That seat from the Yukon third row is just what I was looking for to go in my '59. You wouldn't haappen to have the dimension of he brackets used to mount it would you?
I will measure it up and post in the section on my build about the seat frame.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:29 AM   #13
gag1025

OrrieG,
Nice frame to raise the seat. Two questions: How high is the frame, and why did you use a bolt in the front instead of the flat aluminum stock that you used for the back leg?

Last edited by gag1025; 06-16-2011 at 11:26 AM.
gag1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:42 AM   #14
gag1025

My seats are out of a 2005 Silverado and I also made a console like one I saw in a car show and had it covered in cloth and vinyl to match the seats (which are cloth). It is 10 inches wide and has two drink holders and the 3 guages mounted above the radio as well as the transmission shifter. If I knew how to include a picture in the post I would show you the one I copied.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #15
55metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag1025 View Post
My seats are out of a 2005 Silverado and I also made a console like one I saw in a car show and had it covered in cloth and vinyl to match the seats (which are cloth). It is 10 inches wide and has two drink holders and the 3 guages mounted above the radio as well as the transmission shifter. If I knew how to include a picture in the post I would show you the one I copied.
Pics would be nice, I would like to see what you came up with and how they fit.
To attach pics resize your pics on your computer to under 100kb each and save it. when you post go to the bottom of the page, there you will see a box thet says "manage attachments", click on it, then go to the "Browse" box seach for the pic you want to post, you can upload up to 5 (I think)... then click "upload" it may take a few seconds, when it's done it will return you to the "reply to thread" screen then click "submit reply".

I find myself in a simular situation...... when I first fitted my seats which were from a 90's Monte Carlo they were a kinda nice upgrade from the tired old bench seat, power everything including butt warmers, Overall they looked decent but thought they looked odd with the headrest half covering the rear window (small rear window) so I pulled the headrest which improved it a bit but still not the look I was after. when I started looking into seat belts the wife insisted on shoulder belts. Not a hard thing to entertain but I really don't want to cut into the cab to make an anchor point and I'm not a big fan of fishing a backing plate up between the skins.
I came to the conclusion the seats with sholder belts included is the best way to go and might look a bit nicer, also a + if I don't have to re-upholster them too.

Again pics would be great
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #16
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag1025 View Post
OrrieG,
Nice frame to raise the seat. Two questions: How high is the frame, and why did you use a bolt in the front instead of the flat aluminum stock that you used for the back leg?
Frame is all steel. The 3rd row seats have no tilt adjustment. The threaded rod at the front will lower or raise the frame, the flat piece is a pivot. With the frame sitting level the seats are at approximately the same angle as stock and close to what I usually have my wifes nice Honda set at when I drive. The threaded rod and flat bar are welded to horizontal pieces that use the stock floor bolts. If I remember right it sits 5" above the floor. I mocked it up using a 4x4 + 2x4 then adjusted so my arm is horizonal when resting on the window sill in cruising mode!

Last edited by OrrieG; 06-20-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #17
OrrieG

Quote:
I will measure it up and post in the section on my build about the seat frame.
Forgot this weekend but will sneak out and get them. Tonight is cleaning frenzy in the house for relatives arriving tomorrow for a few days.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:37 PM   #18
gag1025

The console that I am going to build looks something like the one in the picture. I will put the three guages over the radio and will have 2 cup holders, and will use a different transmission shifter because mine is automatic, but the main design is the same. Since my seats are cloth I will probably use cloth on the sides of the console. I was actually trying to include pictures in a reply until I found out that thay have to be attached in a post.
Attached Images

Last edited by gag1025; 06-20-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:13 AM   #19
55metalmonkey

I like it!

I found a buddy with a 04 silverado and measured up his seats, should work fine but still have to check into a few things before I drop the coin at a wrecker for a set, I found a mint set for under $400.00. Might have to wait and think about it though... I just finished my frame so I'm a bit away from this stage.

I think the shifter in the pic is a Lokar automatic shifter, they make them to look like a manual stick shift but hooks up to a automatic
Old 06-21-2011, 12:50 AM   #20
gag1025

I probably will use a conventional looking lighted automatic shifter with the gear designations on the side. because the '53 Chevy truck has a high ceiling I will probably raise the seat 6 - 8 inches or so. I hate the stock bench '74 Chevy Nova seat because it sits low and I have to lift my foot up to press the brake pedal as well as the parking brake. It would feel more natural if I was sitting higher. I also plan on filling in the dash where the radio now is and as I indicated before, move it to the console as well as move the 3 guages to the console. I would like to replace the stock instrument panel left guage module with a Tach if I can find one the same diameter as the speedometer. Also I plan on mounting the front speakers on the sides of the console at the front. I am undecided as to replacing the gas tank with a stainless steel rectangle one and leave it behind the seat or mount it under the bed. Between this project and my completed 1979 Triumph Bonneville bike which actually is a continuing project (always something) I am having a great time messing with them both. New larger rims and a new Silver paint job, as well as change the intrerior color to match the gray seats will get the project well on the way. Vintage air system will also be in the works. As you can see this is a 2 year project.
Attached Images

Last edited by gag1025; 06-21-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:34 AM   #21
55metalmonkey

well one thing I would do is relocate the gas tank, it will give you more room in the cab and more options for speakers, seat ajustment ect.
Also the idea of driving around with a tank full of gas in the cab isn't one that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. I know it has been that way since it was built but like I tell everyone that asks me why I moved mine... If I was in an accident and fuel and sparks came together ...well... it's not dying that I'm afraid of, it's living through it! even worse would be if my wife or kids were out for a cruise with me when it happens, Not a lot of people think that their toy will ever get smashed but it happens (unfortunately) there is a reason they changed the law to have fuel tanks mounted externally

other than that you should have no problem finding the gauges that you want tons out there. I have a whole catalauge of gauges, if you can't find what your looking for send me a PM with the size and I'll see if I can help

BTW nice bike

Last edited by 55metalmonkey; 06-21-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #22
gag1025

Another option is to upgrade the original 4 guages in the original guage holder located beside the speedometer and sell the current guages that are mounted below the dash.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #23
slugo10

Talking Re: Bucket seats

Quote:
Forgot this weekend but will sneak out and get them. Tonight is cleaning frenzy in the house for relatives arriving tomorrow for a few days.
OrrieG have you had a chance to get the dimensions of that fine looking bracket for the Yukon third row seat by chance?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
slugo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:38 PM   #24
gag1025

I am interested as well. Especially the height.