The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
silverado9984

No A/C in my 99

I have had the freon recharged and no a/c, I have had the compressor checked, the relay checked, sent the a/c control head in to be reconned and still no A/c. Does anyone have any ideas? Also, my mechanic can take his snapon computer and turn on the A/C and it blows cold air just fine.

Last edited by silverado9984; 06-28-2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Added info.
silverado9984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
navysnipe

Re: No A/C in my 99

It's probably your HP or LP switch. Try jumping out your LP switch with a paperclip and if it runs then it's probably that one. The LP switch is on the accumulator and the HP is really hard to get to on the compressor

Navysnipe
navysnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
silverado9984

Before I sent the A/C control head in for recon, I jumped the low pressure switch and the relay and the compressor did not engage.
silverado9984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
75sierraclassic

When you said you checked your compressor, did you check your coil that engages the clutch? I just found out mine is going out. I cut the plug at the compressor and spliced in two leads so i could monitor voltage at the coil. If it has voltage but is not turning on, your coil is probably bad.
75sierraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:23 PM   #5
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado9984 View Post
I have had the freon recharged and no a/c, I have had the compressor checked, the relay checked, sent the a/c control head in to be reconned and still no A/c. Does anyone have any ideas? Also, my mechanic can take his snapon computer and turn on the A/C and it blows cold air just fine.
Have your "mechanic" check for an A/C request on the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) data list (Yes or No).
If no A/C request, check for voltage at the high pressure cut-out switch or jumper the switch and recheck for A/C request. (The A/C request is ran through the high pressure switch on this model)

**A Snap-on scanner might not support this test**...I dont know what Snap-on Scanner or software version he's running. A Tech 2 will do this test.
Check the status of the A/C relay using the scan tool and reviewing Powertrain data. If the relay status is off...But the A/C request is yes...there is an input to the PCM inhibiting A/C operation.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote