The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
rchadhaney

Just bought a 2001 Tahoe, Questions...

I just bought an 01 LT tahoe for $4,200 with 166,xxx miles on it. I plan on doing a tuneup by replacing:

spark plugs, plug wires, air filter, oil, oil filter, transmission fluid and filter, and fuel filter.

What else should I replace? What additives like techron should I use?

then I have these issues:

I want a new front bumper as this one is bent, where is the best place to get one?

Keyless entry doesn't work but key fobs have been tested to be working. What should I check?

Front end feels a little squirly, what should I check?

The 4wd works but this is my first 4wd, what kind of maintanence should I do on this?
Old 06-30-2011, 12:13 AM   #2
Sillyoldman

Re: Just bought a 2001 Tahoe, Questions...

^b

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
biggsteve97

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchadhaney View Post
I just bought an 01 LT tahoe for $4,200 with 166,xxx miles on it. I plan on doing a tuneup by replacing:

spark plugs, plug wires, air filter, oil, oil filter, transmission fluid and filter, and fuel filter.

What else should I replace? What additives like techron should I use?

then I have these issues:

I want a new front bumper as this one is bent, where is the best place to get one?

Keyless entry doesn't work but key fobs have been tested to be working. What should I check?

Front end feels a little squirly, what should I check?

The 4wd works but this is my first 4wd, what kind of maintanence should I do on this?
sounds like a sweet deal on the Tahoe, congrats! Check LMC truck or Keystone Automotive for the bumper. Keystone has two qualities on the bumper, a cheap and a good. Not a big diff in price but there is in quality. You might try reprogramming the key fobs to the truck unfortunately at this time I do not remember how to do that but I do know it can be performed by you in your drive and does not require any tools. Do the power locks still work? For your four wheel drive maintenance pretty much just change the diff oil, there is a drain plug and a fill plug on the drivers side, and grease the driveshaft if it has grease zerts. On the squirly front end, check the wheel bearings they are notoriously prone to failure. And check the Idler are assembly especially if you have a skid plate. Most shops do not grease the idler arm because the grease zert is not accessible with the skid plate installed and therefore they end up going bad due to lack of maintenance.
Hope this helps. Enjoy!
biggsteve97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
biggsteve97

oh, before you change the trans fluid and filter make sure that this has been done atleast once before otherwise because of the mileage the new fluid could actually cause damage to the clutches.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
rchadhaney

Thanks for the help. It seems like a good deal, a little rough around the edges but runs decent and was cheap. I grew up in a body shop so I'm going to fix the dings here and there.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
biggsteve97

i kinda got my 03 Z71 Tahoe the same way. Front bumper was bent and there was a whiskey bump in the right rear corner and some rust on the rear bumper. I paid $6500 for it last year and its value at that time was $13,500. Ive replaced the bumper and pull the dent but havent done anything with the rusty rear bumper yet. one day soon.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
rchadhaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggsteve97 View Post
i kinda got my 03 Z71 Tahoe the same way. Front bumper was bent and there was a whiskey bump in the right rear corner and some rust on the rear bumper. I paid $6500 for it last year and its value at that time was $13,500. Ive replaced the bumper and pull the dent but havent done anything with the rusty rear bumper yet. one day soon.

Yeah this thing is pretty rough around the exterior but it was cheap too. No rust on the body to speak of though. I charged up the a/c last night and it blows pretty cold I do need to change the cabin filter though.