The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
Hargy69

Project Beginner 67 C10???

Hi all! First time poster long time luker! I finally went and bought one of these old trucks to work on. I have tinkered around with cars here and there but have never really done any builds or anything like this. I have read trhough countless builds on here though and you guys all make it sound so easy! My wife says to me one day "You really need a truck"....yes I do...so I bought an old one....not what she was expecting!

It's a 1967 Chevy C10 and that's about as much as I got out of the PO. I don't know if he was just tight lipped or really didn't know much about the truck. One of those deals that he got in a trade yada yada stories. I think everything I asked he said I don't know to. Long story short I brought it home. Not as advertised but we met in the middle so I went all in on a pair of dueces!

I figured I would start a build thread instead of countless other threads asking a million questions I'm going to have along the way. I'm not doing a frame off resto or anything that heavy, I just want a safe truck that I can tow and haul a little with but still look cool as heck cruising in it too.

Well I guess my first mission is to try to figure out what exactly I have. The title says 1967 Chevy c10 (not in PO name of course...another fact he failed to mention) but It has 5 lug front and back with disk front brakes. The rear is leaf springs which at first didn't throw up a red flag untill I got there and looked at the frame...it had been choped into a short bed at some point. I asked Mr. PO about it....I don't know. I have seen a lot of build threads choping longbeds to short beds so I wasn't to upset about it but it sure dosen't look as nice as all the ones I've seen on these forums. I'll have to have someone check that out who has more experiance then I do.

Advertised as a 350 with 3 speed on the Tree. Well it's 3 speed on the tree but I have my doubts about the 350. I have checked the numbers on the front passenger side and didn't get a solid awnser but the number on the back was 3914660...which I looked and it said 327? I'll have to post the other number later I don't have it in front of me. I'll get your guys expert opinions.

After I got it home and looked at it A LOT closer I think most of the body is on with 3/4 to 1/2 of the bolts. So I guess I have to go over most everything to make sure stuff dosen't fall off going down the road. It didn't have the radiator hooked up so I didn't get to drive it but he did start it a couple of times. He said the motor had been "gone through" though. I got it home and it wouldn't even turn over for me. Turned the key and nothing. I started looking at the wiring under the hood and of course went to this site and downloaded the full wiring diagram and see a lot of things missing. It's been converted to HEI and a one wire alternator I think.

More on all these problems later I have rambled on way to long. I can here you all chanting PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES....Here you go....
Attached Images

Hargy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
67chevy1series

Re: Project Beginner 67 C10???

haha welcome to the 67 72 and message board! bst site ive been on nice truck looking forward to more pics!

nice the interior seems to be original an ntact you eve anve the original knobs and radio from what i can see on this end.. leaf springs were usually on gmc 1/2ton pickups and 3/4 ton chevys so either its a 1/2ton gmc frame or a chevy 3/4 ton frame.... also what are your plans for this? you have a 73 87 stepside bed (but i think your aware of that), if you want to keep the stepside you can use all of the bed excpet for the fenders.

Last edited by 67chevy1series; 07-01-2011 at 03:51 PM.
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
Hargy69

More...That's all for now...
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
67chevy1series

you have a long water pump so there has been work to the engine... i am thinking a 73 and up 350 painted to look like a 67 72 engine since that brackets are all different from 67 72
Old 07-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
Hargy69

Wow Rick that's a quick reply before I could even get anymore pics uploaded! Btw nice truck and build...sorry to say I've only been through have your thread but 50+ pages is a lot to go through!
Old 07-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
67chevy1series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hargy69 View Post
Wow Rick that's a quick reply before I could even get anymore pics uploaded! Btw nice truck and build...sorry to say I've only been through have your thread but 50+ pages is a lot to go through!
haha this site has alot of quick replys! ya over 70 (i lost count) is alot opages to go through!
Old 07-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
Valhalla

Looks like a clean start.. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Cheap work is never good and good work is never cheap. Lesson = learn to do it all the right way on your own.

SqueegeeMan
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote