The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
smkayl

deleting vent windows on a 53 chevy pickup

I have been searching the site for hours looking for information on deleting the vent windows from a 53. I prefer the pushbutton door handles but do not like the vent windows so I am wondering how much is involved in going to a one piece window instead. I am sure I have seen this talked about before but can't seem to find it when I need it. Thanks in advance for the help.
smkayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: deleting vent windows on a 53 chevy pickup

It isn't that hard but you will have to collect a few pieces to do it.

The doors are basically the same except that the later doors have a piece the wing window frame sets on that you will have to cut out.

So it looks something like this.

Then you will have to put the guides for the window channel in the front like this rusty one is. If you look clear down at the bottom of the strip you can see a clip that the channel/strip sits in while it is held in with a screw at the top. You will have to figure out something to use for a clip at the bottom to hold it.

So far I have had a hard time finding anyone who has those strips to hold the glass channel.
I got the new LMC catalog in the mail today and they have windows with frames and the proper channel and anti rattle strips on page 15. The glass isn't cheap though so you might want to find some used windows with frames and have your glass guy make new ones.
The regulators are the same as far as I can tell.
To make it look perfect you will need to replace the inside garnish molding as the ones for the 51 and up trucks have a cutout to clear the wing window frame.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
skip99

I'm doing the same thing on a 51. here's a link i saved..

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...ion/index.html

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428878
skip99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
smkayl

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to have to find a door with the one piece glass that I can copy off of. I can fabricate just about anything if I have something to look at. I was hoping that someone offered the glass channels in the aftermarket but, oh well. Thanks again for the help.
smkayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
Thadious

Having done this swap already, I can tell you for certain that the window regulator are NOT the same. Due to the short section of the window on the later models, the regulator uses a single arm, whereas the earlier models use a scissor style. With this scissor style, there is a also a short section of track (much like the size of the section on the underside of the window) on the inside of the door (it's about 5" long) for the one arm of the scissor to fit into) The scissor style is required due to the overall length of the window and keeping it parallel on the rise/fall path. I wasn't able to find an earlier style track for the rear of the window and had to fabricate a new one of my own (was teaching in a sheet metal shop at the time). The inside tracks for the window channels that hold the "U" shaped channel (that the window actually slides in) is different in width by about 1/8".

All in all, it's quite the pain in the butt. I did mine but in the end, I opted for power windows (just like the link) and the inside tracks and regulator are a moot point then. Then added my own bear claw latches from a 1/2 door YJ (Jeep) and power door poppers and shaved the handles.

The door glass wasn't really expensive, try http://www.classicparts.com/1947-50-...ctinfo/70-115/ As for the hardware, http://www.classicparts.com/1947-50-...info/70-801CL/ a fair bit more pricey, but only $25 for the chrome over the painted. If you can find an old set of early doors, you might be better off.

Best of luck and holler if you have any questions!
Ted.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you...

My new build - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...70#post8958970
Thadious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:56 AM   #6
mr48chev

Looks like I missed the boat on the regulators. I've always had access to 47/50 doors so it hasn't been an issue.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote