The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
Russell Ashley

Anyone got an opinion on which a/c?

I will be wiring my truck soon and I plan on putting a/c in it. I've looked at Old Air, Antique Auto Air, and Classic Auto Air websites and they all offer a kit for TF trucks.
I'll probably be getting just the inside setup for now and Old Air has a kit that includes a repop of the deluxe controls that looks like it would be the least expensive overall. None of them are cheap so I'd like to get the right one the first time.

Any opinions on which one to use? Good/bad experiences? Other sources?
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
magicoolbus

Re: Anyone got an opinion on which a/c?

This question does come up periodically and I am partial to the vintage air unit for no other reason that I have installed two of them. I have no experience with the other manufacturers. I rebuilt my factory heater controller and utilized VA's new switch and face plate. VA provides ABS vent holders for the side vents, I didn't like that look and I didn't mind cutting holes in the dash. I do think they look much better installed in dash rather than underneath. I do think that most manufacturers route the heater and ac lines to exit underneath the stock location of the battery tray. Most offer a bulkhead connection as an option, I did not go this route and just drilled holes and used grommets. Wiring was super simple and doesn't really need to be preplanned for. The main blower power comes right off the battery thru a supplied circuit protection. Relays are included in their harness as well. I wired mine at the same time I switched from Generator to Alternator. I used the kit that Mad Electronics sells. Works great.

I ran into a bit of a problem when I did the bench test (recommended in instructions), I could only get low and medium speeds, initially thought it was a switch problem. But found out that the switch needed to move a fraction of an inch more and the repop chrome bezel was preventing it. A bit of trimming and viola, three speeds.

Here is a picture of the center and side vents along with the controller. I elected to retain the controls to the lower kickpanel vents. VA does not really provide a means to do this, I just used a few rivnuts and they work like a dream.
Attached Images

1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
Russell Ashley

Thanks for the info. I actually meant Vintage Air in my post instead of antique Auto Air.

Last edited by Russell Ashley; 06-25-2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: correction
Old 06-25-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
fredscarryall

take a look at southern air. i know two people who have used there set ups and really like them. they are under $850 for a complete kits. but i dont think they make a model specific kit. i think there more of a custom kit, except for the 55 to 57 cars.

Last edited by fredscarryall; 06-25-2011 at 11:16 PM.
fredscarryall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
Scottshotrods

Vintage air 100% made in the USA and they have direct bolt in kits

Justin
Scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:42 PM   #6
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

Just finished installing an Old Air unit. I was sold on the vent system that uses the old speaker grill for 3/4 of the air and eliminates the long vent that runs on the bottom of the dash.

http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/w...cpZZ3QQtppZZ20
BIG CHEVY 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
Russell Ashley

Thanks for the advice and comments everyone. I think I have sold myself on Old Air for now because their inside kit, at $680, is about $115 cheaper than Vintage Air. The difference is that the Old Air kit comes with a new deluxe style control, which is $169 extra with the Vintage Air unit. Southern Air was least expensive but they don't have a custom fit setup for a 57 truck.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
renegade6

I am pretty happy with the Vintage Air unit that I put in my truck but, have only used it a few times. Didn't go with the direct fit but, wasn't too hard to put in, just needed a few extra fittings and small hands to connect everything.
72 K20 Long bed stepside (wife's)
72 K20 Long bed 396 (flip or keep...?)
The latest build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...76#post8438476
renegade6 is offline   Reply With Quote