The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
Daniel 61 Apache

Energy Control arm bushings too big????

I have a set of chassis tech dropped lower control arms on my truck. The rubber bushings were shot and I figured I'd give the Energy poly bushings a try. But they seem too big, WAAY too big. I measured the inside diameter on the control arm and come up with 48mm. The energy poly bushings come with a metal sleeve that is supposed to be pressed in and it's close to 56mm. There is no way that metal sleeve is going to fit without wrinkling.....what gives?

Does anyone have a stock lower control arm that I could get the inside diameter measurement for comparison with the chassis tech arms? I've triple checked the part number and its the right one from Energy Suspension. I am curious if I can just discard the metal sleeve. I don't want to damage the poly bushing though. Anyone encountered this before? If I can't figure it out soon I'll just go back to the rubber bushings again I guess.

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference....The Marines don't have that problem.

Sic vis pacem, para bellum. -- "If you want peace, prepare for war."
Daniel 61 Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:49 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Energy Control arm bushings too big????

I am going to take a guess here and suggest it's the Chassis Tech Arms that are of the random size, and the Energy Suspension bushing are correct for stock arms.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
Daniel 61 Apache

Figured it out. Chassis tech has the outer sleeve of the bushings already machined into the arm. If the bushing ever blows out all the way and metal on metal contact occurs then the arms will be worthless.

One more reason why I'll be swapping out arms in the near future for ridetech. Now I just gotta find some....

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference....The Marines don't have that problem.

Sic vis pacem, para bellum. -- "If you want peace, prepare for war."
Daniel 61 Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
m6z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel 61 Apache View Post
Figured it out. Chassis tech has the outer sleeve of the bushings already machined into the arm. If the bushing ever blows out all the way and metal on metal contact occurs then the arms will be worthless.

One more reason why I'll be swapping out arms in the near future for ridetech. Now I just gotta find some....
Every tubular arm I've ever looked at is like this. It not a design flaw, just how they are all made.

Looking for a 67-72 short bed driver.....
m6z is offline   Reply With Quote