The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
dstarrett

spyder gear pin

In process of pulling the axles out. Got the cover offbolt out that holds the pin in, but the pin itself wont budge. Tried punch and hammer, but did not want to get carried away and screw it up. sprayed down with penetrating oil and left it to soak. What have I missed?
dstarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Re: spyder gear pin

Take a look at the bolt and make sure its all out. As I recall the bolt has a "pin" section prior to getting to the part that is threaded. The end should be somewhat "rounded". I remember pulling the bolt and beating the snot out of the cross shaft only to find out that section was still in the carrier holding the shaft in place.

Here is a picture of what it should look like...

http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDet..._Gear_and_Axle
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
Fastrucken

A lot of the time the bolt breaks and leaves one thread with the pin part still engaged in the cross pin. This broke before you attempted to remove the bolt. I had this happen to me on a grand national rear end I was swapping into a regal I had. I took it to a rear end shop since it wasn’t in the car. The guy behind the counter said he might be able to get the pin out without tearing up the differential and it would only take 5 min but he would charge me a full hour of time (75$) and not tell me how to do it. Well he kept his promise got it out quick took my 75 bucks and refused to tell me how. I told him on the way out that I would find out and tell everyone I could. Well I did so this is for the jerk-off.

If your cross pin bolt broke and the pin portion is left in the differential, its usually held in by 1/2 to 1 thread. It’s not stripped or cross threaded, just a spot where too much load was placed on the bolt causing it to shear. So you take a stick welder hook the ground to the ring gear and place a welding rod through the hole against what is remaining of the cross pin bolt. While holding the welding rod in place, tap the positive lead to the welding rod for an instant. What you end up doing is tacking the rod to the remaining portion of the cross pin bolt and then you are able to unscrew it. If this doesn’t work, then you’ll have to tear the differential up to get the remaining part of the pin out.

Good luck
Graham
Old 07-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Few more ideas:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=broken+bolt

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote