The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
Jlroberts

'69 chevy 4x4 conversion

I know its alot of trouble but... I have a 69 shortbed c10 2 wheel drive that I want to convert to 4x4. I know it would be easier to just find one and buy it, but it was purchased in 72 by my grandpa, then passed down to my mom when she graduated and it was my first truck. The truck is not all original but i have centimental value in it. I prefer a 4x4 to a 2wd even if its only a not a mud truck. What all would i need to do this? and could i use a late 70's or 80's 4x4 frame with the cab and bed??
Jlroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:36 AM   #2
63chevyll
gets board easy.......

Re: '69 chevy 4x4 conversion

Just convert it if you can't find a frame.
But it would be nice to have all the parts from the same truck
Posted via Mobile Device
63chevyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
Jlroberts

so i could do it without changing frames?
Old 07-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlroberts View Post
so i could do it without changing frames?
Yes, it can be done. Its a hell of a lot of work though. You basically need another complete rolling 4wd frame to use parts from, you gotta have front and rear spring brackets, front and rear differentials, engine crossmember, transfer case differential, front and rear driveshafts etc... Believe me, if you can find a frame it is one hell of a lot easier than converting.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
Jlroberts

Alright i can see where it would be easier to change frames than just converting, but I can imagine that the later models are easier to come across, so will the 80's models work.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlroberts View Post
Alright i can see where it would be easier to change frames than just converting, but I can imagine that the later models are easier to come across, so will the 80's models work.
I have seen them done that way, but the wheelbase will differ from the 80's trucks to your 69. And the body mounts will have to be moved/fabricated. They are alot easier to come by than a 69-72. Btw, if you plan on lifting it stay away from the 67-68 frames, lift kits are hard to find for them.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
plummen

Im in the middle of stripping down my 69 c20 2x4 to mount the body on to a mid 80s k20 frame,ill post some pictures of it once the cab is sitting on the frame so i can start sorting out the body mounts .
The main reason i decided to go with complete chassis swap is that this truck is going to be my daughters daily driver for a while after i get it done and if it breaks down somewhere in western nebraska on her its a whole lot easier to find parts for a stock mid 80s chevy k20 than to try and figure out where to find a replacement for a custom one off piece that doesnt fit anything else
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote