The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
greasemonkey71

HEI problems

ok i just installed an accel HEI

its all wired up

but the motor stil wont start
it cranks like a mofo and it wants to start but it wont and i shoots gas and smoke up out of the carb idk whats goin on...im thinking i stabbed the distributor wrong or i have the spark plug wires on wrong

i need help asap please
greasemonkey71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: HEI problems

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 Clockwise.

1-3-5-7 on drivers side 2-4-6-8 on passenger side.

It sounds like you have it out of time or have the firing order wrong.

Pull #1 plug and have someone bump the engine over with the starter while you hold your finger over the plug hole. Clean the timing marks off first as you need to be able to see them.

When the piston blows air against your finger check to see if the marks are lined up or close to being lined up. You want the helper to just tap the starter in short bursts and it may take several tries to get #1 up. When the marks line up close rotate the crank by hand to get them lined up and check the position of the rotor to make sure that it is pointing at the #1 terminal on the cap. I usually take a marker and mark where #1 is on the side of the distributor body.

If you have to pull the distributor to get it set on number one go back and make sure that the rotor is lined up right before you put things back together and try to start it.

And make sure that you have a full 12 volts to the hei as they really need the full 12 v to work right.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
BMERDOC

Your definately off time. Pull the dr's valve cover and pull the #1 spark plug and stick a stiff wire or a screwdriver into the spark plug hole, clean off the balancer and rub some touch up paint on the numbers and wipe it off after it sets for a minute to make the timing degrees clear. Turn the motor over by hand until the valve end of the #1 rocker arms are all the way to the top and the piston reaches the top of the cylinder, the balncer should be pointing at 0. Mark the distributor at the #1 terminal of the cap as close to the centerline as possible. Remove the cap and see if the rotor is pointing to the mark. If any of the tip of the rotor is hovering over your mark you are ok. If not loosen the distributor and turn the housing so that it is centered. At this point everything is at TDC. The vacuum advance should be pointing to the back of the carb or at least to the rear carb bolt on the passenger side. If your distributor is a tooth or two off the position of the advance diaghram is a tattle tail. If its this far off you must remove the distributor and restab it. Reassemble everthing and start your engine. Time according to your specs.
Attached Images

2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:05 AM   #4
greasemonkey71

ok i feel like an idiot... had the plug wires in the wrong order
and my timing was completely wrong
greasemonkey71 is offline   Reply With Quote