The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
50-MO

Need some opinions please!

First off, this is a great forum and I was very excited when I ran across this today.

My wife and I have fell in love with the early 50's bodystyle several year ago while attending the Grand Rod Run in Pigeon Forge, TN. We have wanted one for many years and as I was driving down the road last week I found one!

It was not the exact style or condition in which I wanted but it was a start! The truck is titled as a 1950 but VIN decodes as a 1949 build, 3800 1-Ton truck, (has 52 doors on it). Regardless the previous (original) owner has placed this body on a mid-70's 3/4 ton chassis with Dana 60 front and rear. Although I love 4x4's I am not sure that this is how we should keep this truck, we have always enjoyed the sleek body lines and low stance of the 2WD models.

I am fairly mechanically inclined and capable of doing most all of the work needed to rebuild this beast. What I am looking for are opinions! Should we ditch the current chassis and start over or try and make this one a bad ass 1950 4x4?

Obviously working with what we have is more cost effective but I am not overly concerned with that right now. Opinions please.... Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

50-MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
solidaxel

Re: Need some opinions please!

Welcome from So Arizona !

Personally I like the hot rod look, lower in the front, and tires up in the fender well
If the truck runs and all the panels fit and are the way you want them I would find a 49 to 53 1/2 ton chasis and put a new front suspension V-8 and complete all the mechanicles up to the electrical and swap everything over. I think you could use your exixting rear end if it is a 1/2 ton.

There will be more comments so take your pick!!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
55metalmonkey

Welcome from Victoria BC
Tons of experience on this site so don't be afraid to ask,

I've been working on vehicles almost all my life and I still find myself asking alot of questions and getting others opinions on things, even if I think I know the answer it's good to get some input to make sure... it's hard to know everything after all.

BTW nice find
personaly I like ADs as 2wd and slightly lower too, since the frame has already been swapped from the original you have basicly a blank slate to go in what ever direction you think is best ( dakota, s10, original ect.) lots of info and previous builds as a reference & to give you a taste of what could be done.
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
55metalmonkey

Welcome from Victoria BC
Tons of experience on this site so don't be afraid to ask,

I've been working on vehicles almost all my life and I still find myself asking alot of questions and getting others opinions on things, even if I think I know the answer it's good to get some input to make sure... it's hard to know everything after all.

BTW nice find
personaly I like ADs as 2wd and slightly lower too, since the frame has already been swapped from the original you have basicly a blank slate to go in what ever direction you think is best ( dakota, s10, original ect.) lots of info and previous builds as a reference & to give you a taste of what could be done.
S-10 swaps are popular on the the AD stye, modern frame, suspension and drive line and parts to get it to sit the way you want are easy to find. Same for Dakota.
If you seach on the forum for AD &/or frame swap your likely to get a ton of threads... it can keep you busy reading for quite a while.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
55metalmonkey

Don't know why that double posted after I edited it but sry for the 2x post.....weird?
Old 06-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
50-MO

Thanks guys, that is what we are going to do with the 2wd, but before I went through all this I thought I would get some opinions.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
rollinrooster

Welcome to the site. Good looking truck you came across! Ever thought about putting it on an s-10 frame for the low sleek look you are talking about? Here is a picture of my '49 on an s-10 frame.
Attached Images

rollinrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinrooster View Post
Welcome to the site. Good looking truck you came across! Ever thought about putting it on an s-10 frame for the low sleek look you are talking about? Here is a picture of my '49 on an s-10 frame.
Showoff, but you do have something to show because that truck looks great.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #9
50-MO

Man that looks great! Congrats on the progress you have made. Yes I have considered the S10 option but have read many mixed opinions about the swap. What year and style frame did you use on yours and does this still have the standard suspension under it to get that stance?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #10
MrTucker

I'm surprised nobody has said it, but I would DEFINITLEY do away with the frame you have if you're going to 2wd. The wheel width is way too wide. I prefer to see the wheels tuck inside the fenders - you'll never get this with a newer fullsize chassis.

Whether you go with the original frame updated with modern suspension (MII, 4link), or the S10 chassis swap you end up spending nearly the same (some will say otherwise, but dont see how).

Just spend the money where it counts, get a solid chassis and you'll love your project!

Good luck
MrTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #11
OrrieG

You shouldn't have any problem getting rid of the 4wd frame, guys with 2wd are looking to get them because converting is a major PITA. Bad news is they are relatively easy to find, I bought two running 74 trucks one 4wd, one 2wd for $500 each. Pulled engines and transmissions/transfer case and minor parts and ended up scrapping the 2wd and selling the 4wd rolling chassis for $100. Both the bodies were rusted beyond repair, interiors shot, etc.

Look at the build threads and decide which way you want to go, s10, find a good stock frame and clip it, or even build one from scratch. Stock ones can be found from guys doing s10 conversions.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #12
rollinrooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
Showoff, but you do have something to show because that truck looks great.
That makes me feel good, because your work is killer. Wish i lived around the corner from someone with your kinda skill.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #13
rollinrooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50-MO View Post
Man that looks great! Congrats on the progress you have made. Yes I have considered the S10 option but have read many mixed opinions about the swap. What year and style frame did you use on yours and does this still have the standard suspension under it to get that stance?
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the completments, as for the s-10 i used it is a standard cab longbed '89 model. The suspension has been changed to 4-link in the rear and air bags on all 4 corners. Witch ever way you go good luck.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #14
BlueJeep

My truck is/was a 49 3800, and I'm very happy with the s10 frame swap on mine. I took a slightly different approach than the others in that I used an extended cab (1995) frame and trimmed a longbed to fit. It is very fun to drive and s10 parts are cheap and plentiful.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #15
RootBeer 6117

Welcome from Columbia/Jeff City Mo,
There are a lot of good guys on here willing to help and answer questions.I use the search button a lot to find tons of info. 2WD is the predominate build but there are 4wd builds using S1O trucks. Long bed, regular cab s10 is very close in length and width,the 2WD is a little narrow in the front end but works well, that's what I an using.What I like about the S10's you can pick one up for 500-1000 and have a lot of the parts you need. Good Luck and start a build thread with lots of pictures.
Joe
RootBeer 6117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #16
99 to Life

I would sell off that frame you have and get a long bed s-10 frame from 82-02 (kinda lost on the newer s-10 frames so not sure if that is most accurate) I used a 92' frame. I think that would be the easiest route for you. You can get a frame for 1-200 bucks, but when it's all said in done you will be over a thousand with all new parts and if you coat it etc. I'd just recommend that over the clip or a new IFS at this point. All three options are great, but most IFS and even the clips will require a lot of good welding and you don't want to mess that up. The s-10 suspension can easily be lowered to achieve a lower stance. and you can get away with bolting everything on, such as cab mounts, rad mount, bed mounts, running board mounts. That is what I did. On my next s-10 frame I will be welding most of it, as I now know where it will all go.

Its up to you, no way is right or wrong and the best way to learn and opinionate on is by doing it. I would just sell off that 4x4 cause it is just too much of a head ache and eyesore IMO.

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #17
50-MO

Thank you for all the comments. Everyone has great points and ideas. We have removed the front end and cab from the truck and pushed the rest outside in the field for the time being. The bed and running boards are not in the greatest shape so no need to clutter the shop with that stuff. Now the decision is whether or not to build a frame or find a donor old frame. I am loving the build threads on here, thanks guys!
Old 07-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #18
99 to Life

what plans do you have drive train wise? Reason I ask is, there are plenty of things to do in the mean time until you get your frame. Ex. if you go the sbc route and build one, you can work on that and look for your frame. Also any body work, like re enforcing the cab floor. Fix up your bed, you name it.

I'd just look for the s-10 longbed frame and or the shortbed frame, with that you can extend it to the desired length or if that is too much work, since your be needs work, you can cut it down. I believe the shortbed frame is 108" and the longbed is 117 so that is 9 inches you can cut out of your bed. I want to do it someday, cause I think it would look different, and I have seen them so
I know they look good. If you go OG frame, then you got to find a good clip and you will need a good enough welder to get the job done.

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #19
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Marshfield? My Uncle just moved from Marshfield back in December.

Anyway, I'd leave it a long bed. They aren't that common. If you want to shorten it, get the parts for a short bed and put it on an S10 or stock frame. That's just my opinion.

My second opinion is leave it 4x4 and make it stupid big with 38s!
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote