The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
FFredo

Getting after some rust w/ pics

Here's a few pics of the rust repair I started this morning. I just cam in to grab a bite then back out side.

The grill support is pretty bad at the fender mounts on both sides. So since I only have so much budget (what the wife lets me spend) I have to make due where I can.
I'm still a newbie at fabrication but I think I'm muddling through ok. I may not be good, but I'm slow. I still need to go back out and grind, finish welding and get a skim coat on. I also need to fix the mounting flange section, Then I'll move over to the other side and start over.
Any helpful critique or input? I'm all ears.

FFredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Kim57

Re: Getting after some rust w/ pics

Looks like a good start on it. The more you do the better you will become at iot.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #3
FFredo

Thanks Kim, I'm pretty comfortable around bikes but older Chevy trucks are new to me. I've got three more days to work on it. I ended up taking the grill suport off the truck. I'm sure it will be easier to work on once I have it on saw horses. Working on by back or knees seems to be the hard way to go about it. With a little luck I'll have a driver by Monday night. I hope to drive it to work with primer on the front sheet metal and work my way back over the summer.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
Dan in Pasadena

Fredo That looks really solid. Good job. Are you going to put spot welds in between each of those shown to get solid metal all the way around? What kind of filler will you use?

Can you post a picture from the other side?
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:42 PM   #5
FFredo

Dan thank you. Yes I'll basicly keep stitching 'till it's solid metal. I'm trying real hard to use minimal filler. I've been pretty busy with hammer and dollies. Something else I've never done before, it sure is a learning experience. After I work the metal the best I can I add a skim coat of bondo *I know, I know*. Then I sand that down and do a very light skim coat of galzing compound. We'll see how well I when I squirt some primer on it. I'm sure the pros will snicker, but I'm hoping for a 10 foot truck. I think I'm getting there.
When it's a driver I'm going drive up to see my brother in Whittier.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
Dan in Pasadena

Fredo,
I doubt anyone who does their own work will be snickering....and if they are well, screwem. We're all here trying to learn and do our best. And as the sticker says, "I didn't build it for your enjoyment, I built it for mine" (or something like that).

For myself, I am ENCOURAGED by the fact that you say you've not done much of this and it is coming out as nicely as it is. Are you using hammer/dolly while the welds are still hot? I guess I wonder why you can't just wait till the spot welds all cool and grind off the excess? Sure, you still have to be concerned about heat/warping but hammering the metal raises the possibility of wavy metal too, doesn't it? Anyone have an answer for my (likely) stupid question?
Old 07-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #7
FFredo

Hey Dan thnks for the suportive words. The hammer and dolly work isn't on the welds, I guess I typed that badly. I'm using the hammer work on small dents so I can avoid using very much filler.
Today I got all of the rust cut out and patched on the grill suport. Also I have the new mounting flanges welded in place. I still need to mock up the fenders and suport so I can locate the mounting holes. As it sits right now I have a skim coat of filler over the patches and plan to sand tomorow. Then I'll primer the grill, grill suport and both fenders. With a little luck I'll drive it by next weekend. There is a small area on the hood that needs patching and I hope to get that done in a day or two.
Pics to follow....
Old 07-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
FFredo

Well all of the repair work has been finished on the front fenders, grill support and hood. Now on to the cab....then the bed.
It is a lot of work for some one that doesn't know what he's doing for sure. I had to do things twice over a few times. Hopefuly what I learned will make the cab work that much easier for me. heck I even learned that spraying primer is more then just pointing the gun and pulling the trigger. I will post a few pics tonight when I get home from work.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #9
Dan in Pasadena

Hi Fredo,
Love to see some pic's of all the progress! When I get my truck back from the shop - I think Friday - there will still be plenty to do but it will be running great and reliably so I will be getting closer and closer to the point of doing rust removal/repair myself.

Since I don't have that much rust (as far as I know) I will likely start with just welding shut some small holes, grinding, minor filler and prime. If that goes okay and I don't just blow open bigger holes (DOH!) I'll try my hand at some small repairs.

Simple question: I have a small maybe 1" hole in the driver's door. I ASSUME it is bigger than that once I start grinding but how do I know where to stop? I'll be able to see inside the door but on a panel where you can't see the other side to see the extent of the rot, how do you know?
Old 07-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #10
FFredo

Hey Dan, here are a few pics. I tend to work until it gets too dark to a lot of pics but this might give you an idea of what I'm messing up. These are of the grill support to the point of primmered and ready to block sand. The area where yo can see some rust damage I used a stiff wire brush and pinted it with "Rust Mort" It stops rust and I'm hoping it will do until I can find a grill support worth installing. I do NOT want to buy a after market unit.
Sorry the pics are so big I forgot to resize them correctly. Ignore the orange grill, I was just farting around while I waited for primer to dry. But that orange and cream color combo is starting to grow on me..

Old 07-08-2011, 11:07 PM   #11
Dan in Pasadena

That looks really good. I can't remember if I asked this before (the 2nd thing to go!) but where are you getting your repair metal from? Other old parts cut up, Home Depot, or a metal supply place?
Old 07-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #12
FFredo

I'm getting the sheet metal from a metal supply outfit. I wanted to use part of the OG fenders to fix the mounting flange on the grill suppoert but some POS thief came onto my driveway and took them...
I fear they went to the scrap yard at 10 cents a pound. Worst part if the fender emblems were still on them.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #13
Dan in Pasadena

There's a particularly hot corner somewhere for a guy that will mess with another man's ride! That REALLY sucks, sorry to hear it.

What guage metal are our trucks? I wouldn't know what to ask for and I also haven't the slightest idea what a small quantity
like 2'x2' or 4'x4' would sell for. Any advice appreciated.