The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
jocko

HELP!! Pilot Bearing major pain in the ....

Well folks, need some serious help. I was in the middle of my trans swap and was trying to pull the pilot bearing out of the crank. It is NOT budging.

The hydraulic method did not work. No way to freeze/shrink it.

Actually have the correct pilot bearing puller tool (spreadable slide hammer that slips inside the pilot, expands, and reaches around the back of the bearing to grab). Have been pointing away for an hour and a half and it hasn't moved one bazillimeter.

If I'd known it wasn't gonna move, I'd have just left it in there and re-used it. But now, the inner bearing surface is scarred pretty bad because of inserting and removing the tool.

Need some serious help here - appreciate any ideas. Again, using the correct pilot bearing slide hammer tool and it's not budging - hydraulic method did not work (i.e. forcing it out with grease, etc...)

Thanks.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
TR65

Re: HELP!! Pilot Bearing major pain in the ....

Jocko,

I don't know if it would work in your case but we used to pump the cavity full of grease and then drive an old input shaft into the bushing. The pressure created in the grease would pop it out. Of course the last time I did that was 30 years ago.

Good luck,

TR

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

PB Blaster over night?

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
steverino66

We have a couple of parts stores here that let you borrow specialty tools - with a big deposit.
If any of the parts stores in your area loan/rent tools, you can get a mechanical screw-type puller (similar principal to a steering wheel puller, but has the claw thing like your slide hammer to pull the bearing from behind as you crank the threaded center stud)
steverino66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
Dunenutt
Newbee

I have threaded them with a tap, and screwed a bolt into it. Hit it with an impact wrench and it pulls/pushes it out. I have also drilled small holes into the sides and then cracked them with a chisel. They can be a beotch sometimes.
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Not sure if you're using the fill and smash method of hydraulic removal, but this device is what I used. I bought mine at a local Carquest store for around $10 a few years back. Screwed into place and blew the pilot bearing right out. It doesn't show up real well in the photo but the tapered portion is threaded. Of course now the link doesn't work. Do a Google search under Lisle 55600 Clutch Bushing Remover.

Amazon sells it for $11.95.

Here's another link costing more money for the same part:

http://www.toolking.com/lisle-55600-...FQZCgwod0FFjZQ
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
jocko

hey, that's a great looking tool markeb01. If only I'd had that first!

Just came back in from the garage and see I have several suggestions - thanks very much for all the help.

And the winner is.....

dunenutt!

Actually, I stumbled onto this approach myself and gave it a whirl, figured I didn't have anything to lose. Nice to see someone else was thinkin the same way. It really worked very well.

For future ref, here's what worked SO SIMPLE for me:
1. Tap for 5/8-18
2. 5/8-18 Grade 8 bolt - thread it in (didn't need impact, didn't even need a breaker bar - I mean it came RIGHT out... - and keep in mind the actual correct slide hammer tool wasn't working at all)
3. One trick - the thread length on these bolts (regardless of bolt length) is less than what you will need to get it all the way out. So when I bought the bolt, I also bought a 1/2" dia x 1" long steel sleeve. Used the bolt only and pulled the bushing out til had about 3 threads left on it - then removed the bolt, inserted the sleeve and re-inserted the bolt and screewed it in and pulled the bushing all the way off.
Cost is minimal, assuming you have a 5/8-18 tap on hand, that is. 5/8-11 would probably work, but I preferred the fine thread for more surf area and less likelihood of stripping it out.

What a relief. it's 103 degrees out and high humidity for the desert. I looked like I'd been in a bar fight walkin into home depot...

Thanks again guys. Markebo1, that tool is pretty cool - would probably work great. But I'm all about avoidong having to use the grease gun (but that is MUCH neater than the dowel and hammer method, that's a good way to get a grease bath.... I have seen a guy insert wet paper and use the same hydraulic method - was pretty slick, but mine was way stuck). Now that I have my $4.99 bolt and $1.70 spacer, I'm never going back though - I was worried about stripping threads and compounding my problem - but it came right out. I did have to shop a little longer to find the fine thread 5/8-18.... Home Depot only had coarse -11. Ace Hardware to the rescue! I love the small hardware stores. Speaking of which - how's this for service: The store was only run by about 4 teenage girls (ah if I'd only been a little younger... Ok, a LOT younger). So, my assumption was "good luck gettin help buddy" when I could only find the coarse threaded bolt. So, I asked, and this gal came over and was chatting on a wireless mike with her boss or "Ace Hardware Central" or whatever and we found it. SHe at least got me in the right neck of the woods. Chalk one up for mom n pop.

Now I'm gonna go stick my new bushing in the freezer for a day or so and try to be smarter than the hunk of metal I'm hammering on....

Last edited by jocko; 07-09-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #8
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

WOOHOO!!! Nice job!!

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Outstanding. I'm glad it finally came out. Nothing more frustrating than being defeated by a brainless bronze nugget!
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #10
Dunenutt
Newbee

Do I get a cookie?

Just kidding, glad it worked!
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #11
jocko

Yes!
Old 07-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #12
SFTorange

Good work! Nothing feels better than getting through a tough situation like that.
SFTorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #13
steverino66

Good job figuring that out!
Most of the creative problem-solving crap I improvise seems dangerous to my wife, but that's why there's a lock on the garage door.
steverino66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #14
awbrown

Well , I think you can take the rest of the day off .. hopefully you were woking in a garage with A/C....
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #15
jocko

nope, unfortunately not, no a/c. That was yesterday's headache! Today's was getting the new clutch and pp and old bell hsg back in.... Crimeny. That friggin crossmember is a pita. Oh well - all part of the "fun". But I got all the measurements i needed, and am just awaiting the hamilton spacer to be made - they are switching foundries right now. I think the only mod I have left is to cut a little off my bearing retainer on the t5 and then stuff the trans in (once I have the spacer).
But for now - everything buttoned up from the back onf the bell hsg fwd. only 103 today, but i left the door between garage n house open to a/c the garage. a little.