The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
dukcaln

side mirror thoughts/option

so I want to get the honker stock side mirrors removed and go more custom or hot rodish.... any ideas or suggestions please...

Old 07-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
Frkypunk70

Re: side mirror thoughts/option

Old corvette mirrors, that way you can say " It a rare corvette optioned truck"
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

I like those mirrors. Is that a Highlander? They aren't big at all to me. You have to do way more to that truck to get a hot rod look than change mirrors. That two tone with trim screams factory stock. It's original paint. What will you do about the mirror holes? Then drill more? I don't tell people what to do with their trucks,but I hate to see those who take for granted what they have. You have a great survivor and can't wait to alter it? Take a step back and look at that thing. With the right subtle touches you could have a sweet custom with a factory look that doesn't alter anything permanently and it will look good forever...never be dated. I'm only offering my time tested opinion. I hope you're not offended. Just look at trucks at shows and around this message board. They are either full blown customs or clean mild customs with a factory look. You have the perfect candidate for the latter. Just ask C10 King

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
Sicklajoie
The Niner

^^^ I agree.
And if you want mirrors that you can actually see out of I'd keep those.
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpisani70@aol.com View Post
Would you be interested in selling your mirrors ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukcaln View Post
sure will be willing to sell. PM me a offer shipped...... they are original, class clean and no rust!
Hey guys,

PM sales are not allowed per forum rules PLUS dukcaln if you'd like to sell these, please become a subscribing member. And cpisani70@aol.com if you would like to post a WTB or are looking for some, please look/ post over in the parts forum (to post a WTB you'll need to be a subscribing member as well)....Thanks for your cooperation folks

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
factorystock

My thoughts, hard to find factory tri pod stainless mirrors. They are period correct and are the safe below eye line type. Other mirrors offered were the small type and the much larger camper mirrors.They are the desireable intermediate size.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
dukcaln

maybe I will keep them if no other good looking good functional options can be decided on...
Old 07-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #8
capev86

i have the sport mirrors that so many people covet. my opinion....they suck and look wrong on a factory looking truck. i can't see squat when i go to back up or change lanes. i picked up a pair of the tripod mirrors (the nicest style where the top arm is round instead of flat) like on my dad's 72 burb. i will need to have the holes welded, smoothed and painted and new holes drilled. but since i plan to start towing with my truck and the sport mirrors are pitted anyway, might as well upgrade now!

those tripod mirrors have the big head and small arms so you get the best of both worlds in terms of function with style. it is easy to modify them for towing also. just get a longer bolt with a piece of chrome tubing and you can very quickly make them stick out farther and then swap it back to stock when you are driving solo!
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #9
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

I see all the arguments for the tripod mirrors, and I actually want them on a 3/4 or 1 ton that is going to be doing a lot towing, but I do not like them on a 1/2 ton street truck. I prefer the 67-70 sport mirror, but the 71 - 72 sport mirror is OK too, it just looks added on to me. The 67-70 mirror looks like it was designed to go on the truck, because I guess it was.
Attached Images

'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #10
capev86

the tripod mirrors were a correct option on the 71/72 trucks and i wish my truck had come with them to save me the trouble of upgrading. the earlier years did have a big head option with arms exactly like 67 C30's rig and that would be the route i would take if i had the correct year. even if my truck was a C10 instead of a C20 i would still prefer big mirrors. i was briefly thinking of running the pair of flip out towing mirrors saved from my dad's 84 burb. but the supports are bulky and ugly and the tripods have the same 7.5 x 10.5 head size. my dad's 72 burb c10 had the same white on blue paint scheme (albeit without the side two tone) and so the tripods just seem perfect on Dukcaln's pickup....don't change a thing!
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
dukcaln

all very valid points and I really thank all of you for your suggestions and imput.... I do want functional mirrors cause after all my 16 year old will be driving the truck to and from school..... they really don't look that bad we were just going after a nice hot rod drag truck look