The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
Brandonc20

Bags complete!

So yesterday I installed my Manual fill air bags for the rear of my truck...and it was a lot harder that its put out to be. I'm expecting to remove my springs..drill some holes...run some line...and call it a day. That's not what happened at all. It's probably my truck that wasn't cooperating but here's how it went. I removed the spring...very basic. on the link arm there is a threaded stud that needed to be removed and a 4.25 inch bolt would attach the air bag, but unfortunately that didnt happen like it was supposed to so my friend Eric, who helped me in this install, welded a grade 8 to a piece of steel plate then welded that to the link arm. Hes a professional welder and owns and built a completely bagged 1500 silverado (body dropped, step notch, laying frame...he knows what hes doing) so that is the first picture. next were supposed to drill wholes into the frame to bolt down the top of the bag....yeah there is no way we were getting through that thick frame and the even thicker plate on the frame...we should of took the bed off. Instead we made a cup sort of attachment and bolted that to the top of the bag. second and third picture. We did not c notch the frame yet, however I did remove the bump stops and it rides exceptionally well. I plan on putting in the 2 inch lowering blocks in the rear so I can run more PSI and still have the low ride. I also cut the front coil down about 1 coil. My truck sit 2.5 inches lower all around. Before this setup I have 2 inch lowering coils in the front 4 inch lowering in the rear. So 6.5 in the rear and 4 inch in the front. So all you suspension guys...when I c notch I should be good...now when I let out all the air it sits on my rear axle. Thanks Boris (Way2Lo2), Scott (Scoti) for all your help. I will post up a better picture of the truck when I get home from work. Some of the pics are mid weld. So imagine it all welded and nicely painted More pictures soon to come!
Attached Images

Brandonc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
kev2809
low n' slo

Re: Bags complete!

nice...plans for the front?

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
Brandonc20

I dont have any plans as of right now I do want to be bagged all eventually. its a 3/4 ton and I want to keep it that way. I think its unique. thanks for checking it out
Old 07-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonc20 View Post
So yesterday I installed my Manual fill air bags for the rear of my truck...and it was a lot harder that its put out to be. I'm expecting to remove my springs..drill some holes...run some line...and call it a day. That's not what happened at all. It's probably my truck that wasn't cooperating but here's how it went. I removed the spring...very basic. on the link arm there is a threaded stud that needed to be removed and a 4.25 inch bolt would attach the air bag, but unfortunately that didnt happen like it was supposed to so my friend Eric, who helped me in this install, welded a grade 8 to a piece of steel plate then welded that to the link arm. Hes a professional welder and owns and built a completely bagged 1500 silverado (body dropped, step notch, laying frame...he knows what hes doing) so that is the first picture. next were supposed to drill wholes into the frame to bolt down the top of the bag....yeah there is no way we were getting through that thick frame and the even thicker plate on the frame...we should of took the bed off. Instead we made a cup sort of attachment and bolted that to the top of the bag. second and third picture. We did not c notch the frame yet, however I did remove the bump stops and it rides exceptionally well. I plan on putting in the 2 inch lowering blocks in the rear so I can run more PSI and still have the low ride. I also cut the front coil down about 1 coil. My truck sit 2.5 inches lower all around. Before this setup I have 2 inch lowering coils in the front 4 inch lowering in the rear. So 6.5 in the rear and 4 inch in the front. So all you suspension guys...when I c notch I should be good...now when I let out all the air it sits on my rear axle. Thanks Boris (Way2Lo2), Scott (Scoti) for all your help. I will post up a better picture of the truck when I get home from work. Some of the pics are mid weld. So imagine it all welded and nicely painted More pictures soon to come!
I usually just run a 3/8 x 4" bolt through the truck arm to secure the spring on the bottom side.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
leftcoast66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I usually just run a 3/8 x 4" bolt through the truck arm to secure the spring on the bottom side.
+1 I did weld a plate to the link arm first though, so that way none of the bag hangs off the side of the arm.
leftcoast66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
kieth

We initially used 2 plates which are caged top and bottom on my 66 gmc, it was too high, with 8" diameter bags and 12" tall aired up all the way, so we removed the bottom cage and used a suicide doors flat bottom plate but it really was not needed so we just bolted the bag on through the trailing arm and made sure we had internal spacers so the bolts would not wiggle in the trailing arm and just tightened them down.
We mounted the air line with a T in the middle of the upper crossmember so the length of the air lines were equal going to both bags. I hid the schrader valve behind the drivers side front tire on the frame so no one could lower me down as a joke. We are planning on adding a tank and a ride height control valve in a few months. Kieth

We are about to get this bad boy running and driveable......I hope.....man does this take time or what ?

this is a shot that shows the rear bag with a cage on top and the base just bolted to the trailing arm.....we finally got the air leaks fixed, it does not leak down any more.
http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G..._pTfv9bn-X2-LB

this shows the original bag mount with 2 cages and it was too tall even for a stock stance.

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...28723713_zsmuL
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
Brandonc20

I tired pb blasting the stud out of the link but it wasn't going anywhere. I think this will last. hes a pretty good welder. we'll see.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
Brandonc20

Big difference. 2nd pic was taken in april the day before i bought it. the first pic was taken this morning.
Attached Images