The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
J.Cagle

Going to look at a '69 what should I look for???

First post over on this side. Usually stay in the 60-66 section since I have a '64 and a '65, but I am going to go look at a '69 short step side bed truck after while. The truck is suposed to have a 327 with an auto. Anything I should look for in particular when looking it over? The guy says it has rust in the cab corners but not a bunch. We shall see tho. Thanks in advance!
J.Cagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
68 IRON

Re: Going to look at a '69 what should I look for???

Well...ok..... to the cool side of town!!!! Just kiddin'! Just use your insticts and ask yourself a bunch of questions. Did seller make mods and how do they look for your taste...wiring how does it look clean and orderly or twist splice here and lots of tape there. Does the glove box SPID reflect what options or factory installed parts are on the truck... Anyway, you have to go with what feels right...you won't like it if it doesn't make you feel good.
To me it should....I know this is corny, but.....it should talk back if its the right one. And oh ya, if you can take some pics for yourself to decide or share to get a quick answer about a rare option. Good luck! Now go take a look!!!
68 IRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Make sure all the numbers match, (SPID, door, frame rail) check to see if its been cut down from a long bed to a short bed...If the SPID is there it will be 115 wheel base for a shortbed and 127 for a longbed.

Lot of people trying to pass off cut longbeds for shortbed money....

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
dmack91

Watch for rust in the rockers (very common), inner kick panels at the floor, floor pans, windshield leaks, battery box rust. Take a magnet to find if it already has bondo in it.

If it has discs on the front, it has been swapped out with a later model. Good mod if done right.

Good luck on it.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

You're in Kansas and you guys have snow...and salt. It's not only the cab corners and rockers that rust, but also the triangular cab mounts (beneath the cab---there's 4 of 'em), inner fenders rust beneath the battery (passenger side); core supports rust out, too. Windshield headers (above the windshield can rust, as have the A pillars. There are extensions at the base of the door posts, where the rear edge of the fenders mount, that also rust. Inside the cab, the kick panels beneath the fresh air vents will rust. That is due to dirt, leaves, etc., that collect in the plenum in front of the windshield. That plenum funnels fresh air to those vents. Beyond that, the normal (for salt belt) places would be the wheel openings, etc.

VIN's will be on the drivers' side door frame opening. If the cab is original to the chassis, you can look on the drivers' side frame rail, between the firewall and the front axle, and see a number, a letter and the rest of the numbers that are on the VIN. If the SPID plate is still attached to the inside of the glovebox door.....and it's the original...it will match the others.

Look for the seat belts. If they are original, there will be a tag attached to the back side of the outer belts that will have a date stamped on it. The engine block (you're familiar with them, right?), and if original to the truck....will have the date as part of the engine ID. Those two dates should be fairly close. In my case, my engine was ID'd with V0924WK, and the seat belts were dated Sept 12 1968. That's the stuff I'm talking about.

Original backup light lenses (fleetside) will have a bulls-eye look while replacements do not.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #6
treveiger

Also check to make sure theres bolts where there suppose to be an look over the wiring. Made those mistakes, o an the drip rail. Go into the cab an push an play with every button like a kid in a elevator to make sure every things working like it should. Look over the trailing arms for rust or rott, also check over the suspension and frame for cracks bends breaks or mods(like to clear headers). I'd also look over the brakes an brake lines to make sure there in working condition. Just basically pick through every little thing. Pos sure like to do it the wrong way it seems like.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2011, 06:16 AM   #7
J.Cagle

Well, the truck was a total piece of junk. And to make it even worse it didnt even have a regular title. It had a builders title that had been issued in 92. The cab was a 69 cab and the frame was a '70. The cab needed hauled off to the dump. If you've ever seen a spot where one of these trucks rust in the cab this on had it. Some one had replaced the front clip with what appeared to be straight fenders. But they had 1/8" of bondo at the bottoms where they rust. The doors Where the same. The Bed sides were total junk and the rear fenders where decent. Motor didnt run worth a dang. Pretty discusted after I had talked to the guy on the phone and he failed to mention the sevarity of this stuff. And never mention the screwy title until I had drove an hour to go look at it. Kinda frustrating. This is the third truck Ive looked at in two days that the owner "forgot" to mention is an over priced P.O.S. haha
J.Cagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
treveiger

Ya that's what happens more times than not it seems like anymore, they figure if they get you up there you'll buy it...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #9
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

You'll be better off checking craigs list in some Texas cities. I know it would be a drive, but an honest seller shouldn't mind sending you some good pix. Now that you've seen several, you can ask the seller for pix of those specific areas that you know may be iffy.

Like you, I hate to second-guess some people but I don't like not being told the whole truth. I'm a big boy...and I CAN handle the truth.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #10
m6z

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Cagle View Post
Well, the truck was a total piece of junk. And to make it even worse it didnt even have a regular title. It had a builders title that had been issued in 92. The cab was a 69 cab and the frame was a '70. The cab needed hauled off to the dump. If you've ever seen a spot where one of these trucks rust in the cab this on had it. Some one had replaced the front clip with what appeared to be straight fenders. But they had 1/8" of bondo at the bottoms where they rust. The doors Where the same. The Bed sides were total junk and the rear fenders where decent. Motor didnt run worth a dang. Pretty discusted after I had talked to the guy on the phone and he failed to mention the sevarity of this stuff. And never mention the screwy title until I had drove an hour to go look at it. Kinda frustrating. This is the third truck Ive looked at in two days that the owner "forgot" to mention is an over priced P.O.S. haha
It hard to locate solid trucks in this area, but that doesn't mean you won't. Just keep looking. I've also went to Texas to get a couple of my trucks, but there's some rusty ones down there as well.

Looking for a 67-72 short bed driver.....
m6z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Arizona man.......Best bodies out there......

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote