The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #26
jimbonice

Re: 454tbi

Whatever works for ya is great. So, do the research, pick something and if it works, life is good!
jimbonice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #27
D.FENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig rig View Post
but I have therory about doing that a preheat o2 was made to preheat by the ecm now I've had a couple go bad on me so my therory is its not made to be hot all the time like it is when its add like what we would do 1 wire to the ecm 1 wire to switched power.not to the ecm to switch it on/off like it was designed to. so its on and hot all the time. thus burnning it self up so to speak. maybe someone that realy knows can shed some light on this
Not sure if the element in a heated 02 stays on all the time or not. I know a guy who writes ECU code so I'll ask him.

You could do a relay in the circuit, triggered by a temp switch to turn off the heating element when the motor reaches xxx degrees.

BTW there's supposed to be an "upgrade" cam for the 454SS motor that is said to work really well with the TBi. I don't have the PN in front of me but the guys at 454ss.com should be all about it.
D.FENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #28
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.FENS View Post
Not sure if the element in a heated 02 stays on all the time or not. I know a guy who writes ECU code so I'll ask him.

You could do a relay in the circuit, triggered by a temp switch to turn off the heating element when the motor reaches xxx degrees.

BTW there's supposed to be an "upgrade" cam for the 454SS motor that is said to work really well with the TBi. I don't have the PN in front of me but the guys at 454ss.com should be all about it.
There are several. GM had one that's been discontinued but Lunati, Comp, & Edelbrock all have similar grinds.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #29
FritzA

For a lot of good TBI info, you should check out http://tbichips.com/

Follow the link on the left to Good TBI Mods and then to 454SS on the bottom. He mentions some specific cam grinds in there.

It's the basics as stated before: Air In and Air Out along with enough fuel and spark. Start with the low hanging fruit like open air cleaner, stronger coil and dual exhaust (even without headers). Oh yeah, make sure the fuel filter is fresh, an old filter is death to the tbi engines.

Then step up to a good cam (matched to your intended driving purpose), manifold and a better fuel pump. Are the valve springs as bad on the tbi BBC as they are on the SBC? Another good upgrade when you switch cams. Now is also the time for a modified chip (again matched to your intended driving purpose).

Finally I would go to a bored throttle body. If you come across a good deal on some heads the yes, jump on them.
FritzA is offline   Reply With Quote