The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
Whittaker

Drive shaft issues.

I have my drive shaft among other things out of my 68 GMC Sub with a 454 and 4L80E going in 2wd.

With the truck arms is it possible to go to a single piece drive shaft. It is two piece with a slip shaft at the rear. The carrier bearing was heck getting it off and the shaft is bigger than the Billet Poly carrier bearing.

I have a much stronger shaft 1 piece out of early 90s Chevy 4x4. I didn't know if yolks can be swapped and or have a new one made.

With the truck arm cross member in their is their a way to do single piece. Its got a 3"/4" drop or will have.

Thanks
Whittaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: Drive shaft issues.

I'm sure that where you live, there's some business that is devoted to drivelines. May be a big truck business, but there's gotta be one somewhere.

My experience is this: If they know what kind of transmission you have, and you have a yoke that either is a slip yoke or a bolt-on, then you have the basis for one end of the shaft. If you have bolt-on yokes at the transmission as well as the rear axle, then you'll need a slip yoke on the driveshaft. Somewhere, you have to have room for the rear end to have some "wiggle room".

At any rate, let's say you have a slip yoke that fits onto the tailshaft of your transmission. Then, you have a yoke on the rear end that will accept a U-joint. From the center of the yoke on the transmission, to the center of the yoke on the rear axle, is the length that the shop will need. They will cut and modify your shaft, then balance it, to work in your application. I doubt seriously if you can find any driveshaft that will fit both your transmission AND your truck rear end.....too many generational differences.

I also think that there's a business called Denny's Drivelines. Don't know where they are, but I'm sure you can find them and give 'em a call or an email.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
Whittaker

We have one that I used on my Chevelles but It is 80 miles each way. I figuring out that there seem to be 3 different size carrier bearings, and I think I need 1" or 3/4"cut from front any way for the 4l80E.

But I will have to get the rear in gear back under the Sub To get a good ride height measurement.

CPP has a Slip SHaft drive line for the rear.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
brad_man_72
the boat guy

any DRIVELINE shop should be able to shorten your shaft that is too long. Some shops like a center to center measurement, we prefer tailshaft to center. I guess you got lucky the poly/billet carrier bearing doesn't fit, you get to use a better cheaper design if you stay 2 piece.
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
Whittaker

Is a Suburban just too big for a single piece shaft with a regular yolk on the tailshaft?