The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
zane2513

TPI throttle cable question

I had to do a emergency engine swap due to the fact I blew my 327 in my 66lwb. I had a 350 TPI w/700r4 from an 87 Corvette I had for my other 66stepside. So instead waiting to get the 327 rebuilt I put the 350 in so I could put in the 700r4 at the same time, which I was going to do later this spring. Ok, now to the question. What do I need to do to make the conversion to the throttle cable? Is there a cable the will work with the original throttle pedal? This is the only hang up stopping me from getting this running. Please keep in mind I'm only 17 but working with my dad. Money is tight that's why I when this direction I had everything except the throttle set up.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

oh and rebuilding my 66' stepside
&
66' Chevy LWB
in my own way!
zane2513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: TPI throttle cable question

It shouldn't be too difficult to retrofit a pedal assembly from a '73-'87 truck. Actually I think the cable throttles started around '69?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
zane2513

Thanks, Captainfab.

I guess I will head to pull a part to find one.

&
66' Chevy LWB
in my own way!
Old 05-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
overtimeracing

I put the whole pedal assembly from a late 80's early 90's full size chevy in my 68 AMC Javelin. The pedal mount is three bolts, and pretty flat to the floor. These have a longer throttle cable from the firewall to the carb/TB. You'll need to drill a square hole in the fire wall for the cable to pass through / mount to. I drilled a hole, I dont remember what size sorry, then squared it off with a small triangular file. I will be doing this same mod to my 63 Trazer soon. Hope this helps. thx...OTR

Last edited by overtimeracing; 05-01-2011 at 01:25 PM.
overtimeracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
zane2513

Just an update and new question. Got a gas pedal assembly out of a 80 chevy truck ready to bolt in and hook up.
Have a new question on the linkage for the 700r4 tranny. Going from a PowerGlide to a 700r4 what's the best setup for a column shift? Do I need to change the shift indicator?
Thanks guys I about to get this baby back on the road thanks to you all.

&
66' Chevy LWB
in my own way!
Old 05-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
overtimeracing

I think you will need to change the indicator, only if you want it to read correctly. The travel of the shifter should be close to the same. Put the shifter in park and the tranny as well and hook them together. Count the clicks out of park. R,N,D,3,2,1. You may run out of travel, in the shifter, and not be able to get to 1st gear. If thats not a problem, run with it. If thats a problem, you'll need a more current column. Thx...OTR

Oh yeah...BTW...
overtimeracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
enick72

How did your project finish up? I am rebuilding and gathering parts for my 5.7 TPI engine swap. I'm sure I will have a bunch of questions and pictures would be great.
enick72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
zane2513

Hey enich72 thanks for asking.
Been real busy it seems once you fix one thing you find something else that need to be changed or fixed before you can get her back on the road.
She running good just got through putting new wood in the bed working on filler neck set up on the new rear gas tank I put in I will get some pics up soon.

&
66' Chevy LWB
in my own way!
Old 07-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #9
kieth

I have a 66 gmc that had a stock 250 6 cylinder, installed a TBI 350 with a 700R4, I used the stock throttle pedal and linkage, got a PTO cable floating nut with a jam nut for a cable, hooked it up to the flat steel plate on the 66 linkage, routed the cable through the jam nut and it worked like a champ. Did not need a new pedal, just a different way to hook the linkage up. I will try and take some pictures. Kieth

Oh ! I remember we had to bend the flat part of the linkage over to line it up straight with the cable throttle, and we redrilled the hole where the PTO cable part installed so it had more travel in the flat linkage (so it had more travel)

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G..._nb4bVRz-X3-LB

here is a better one, see the brass square headed nut, that is what you screw in to hold the cable in place after routing the wire through the PTO cable mount. It works just fine.
http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G..._ZsqWmKF-X2-LB

Last edited by kieth; 07-16-2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: add photo
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
kieth

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane2513 View Post
Hey enich72 thanks for asking.
Been real busy it seems once you fix one thing you find something else that need to be changed or fixed before you can get her back on the road.
She running good just got through putting new wood in the bed working on filler neck set up on the new rear gas tank I put in I will get some pics up soon.

Zane, come by my shop sometime, Tulsa Truck Center, Inc. 5503 W 61st Street Tulsa, Ok 74131 918-446-2245

I have a few spare parts, 2 other trucks, and it sounds like we are doing the same things to our trucks. I am over on I44 right at the pike pass office.

give me a call and come by. bring your truck. Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote