The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
38 Hump

Replacement bench seat options

Does anyone have experience with replacing the stock bench seat in a '55 - '59 Chevy 1/2 ton with a newer Chevy pick up bench seat? I have looked at the after market and found them to be more expensive than I thought after buying the foam kit and the upholstery kit. Hoping to locate a nice used newer seat that can be used.
38 Hump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
sgtusmc

Re: Replacement bench seat options

Not sure if you have the big or small window. I'm not quite there yet, however, I'm going with the 59 seat tracks with the 88 bench seat. There's going to be very little fab work to make it fit. This set up will keep the seat under the big window. If you have the small window you can use both the newer seat and seat tracks, and it will sit under the window. I have a pic in my build of the seat resting on the old tracks. Hope this helps you out.
Also check out orrieG's build as he's use'n a newer seat set up.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=sgtusmc
U.S. Marines - Certified Counselors to the 72 Virgins Dating Club.

Last edited by sgtusmc; 07-15-2011 at 06:36 PM. Reason: forgot about orrieg's build
sgtusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
not2oldchevy

Red face Re: Replacement bench seat options

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 Hump View Post
Does anyone have experience with replacing the stock bench seat in a '55 - '59 Chevy 1/2 ton with a newer Chevy pick up bench seat? I have looked at the after market and found them to be more expensive than I thought after buying the foam kit and the upholstery kit. Hoping to locate a nice used newer seat that can be used.
88-92 full size chevy work perfect. They sit good look good drill 4 holes and you are done.
not2oldchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
38 Hump

Thank you guys for the information. Now the hunt is on!
Anyone else, ideas?
38 Hump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by not2oldchevy View Post
88-92 full size chevy work perfect. They sit good look good drill 4 holes and you are done.
They might sit a bit high for you though and you may have to section the seat bases. I have a 90 something seat in my 71 and look about 6'10" sitting in the seat to someone in another car I actually end up looking over or around the stock inside mirror.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #6
JTKimothy

Since you brought up bench seats, just thought you might get a laugh out of this. I pulled mine out today after a raunchy smell started coming from the cab of the truck. Mind you it's been sitting in someone's yard untouched for 25 years until I bought it last week. When I opened the garage door this morning, there were flies everywhere and like I mentioned, the raunchy smell. I pulled out the bench seat and bones fell out! Not sure which poor animal was laid to rest under my seat, but it looked like a science lesson in there today! LOL
JTKimothy is offline   Reply With Quote