The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
bigair

Tricks to installing a hardtop on the 72s?

I have to install a hardtop on my 72, which I got on CL, any tricks? I first have to remove the soft top snaps and brackets. The truck is going to be in a movie on Sat, so I have to get it done fast. It has not had a hardtop on it since 89 or 90 **** its missing the rear bracket that attaches on the inside of the top to the truck wall.

Last edited by bigair; 06-23-2011 at 11:51 PM.
bigair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Tricks to installing a hardtop on the 72s?

Here's how I do it:

I get the top in generally the right place, then I put the two rear bolts loosely (the ones that are on the inside of the bed by the tailgate).

Next I work on the windshield header bolts. I get the two outside ones started (they go through the sun visor brackets) and then I loosen the screws on the center ones until there are just a couple of turns hanging on. Then I use a drift or a screwdriver to align the bolts with the header and get them started.

Then I go to the front behind the doors and make sure those two bolts (one on each side) are aligned and get them started. Then I snug down all the bolts on the windshield header and work my way back along the sides.

Last edited by truckster; 06-23-2011 at 11:54 PM.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:14 AM   #3
bigair

Thanks for the heads up, fellow utonian. I have to get it up to bear lake for a shoot on Sat morning. I found out on tues, that it had to have hardtop and rear seat, so its been a scramble. Shop where my truck is, called me at 7 tonight to tell me, the holes dont line up, and there is nothing they can do.(they did not remove the snaps on the top of winshield from the soft top, I am hoping... PRAYING, that tomorrow at 8 am when i get there and remove the snaps all holes will line up. BTW are the holes in the hardtop and truck both threaded? I was told by the shop guys that they are.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:48 AM   #4
SeventyOne

Good luck. I hope your body hasn't moved/sagged any considerable amount in the last 25+ years that would cause the bolt holes not to line up...
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:53 AM   #5
truckster

I may be bringing you bad news. If there are threads in the sidewalls of the bed, your Blazer originally had a single wall top. I believe all 72s had single wall tops. The single wall top has bolts that go down through the bottom flange of the top into the captive nuts on the bed rail

If there are threads in the bottom of the top, you have a double wall top. The double wall has an inside shell; the single wall has only a single layer on the top. The single wall can easily be distinguished by two interior dome lights on the left inside of the top. The double wall doesn't have interior lights. The bolts for the double wall go up through the bed rail into the threads on the top.

If you have a double wall, the only way I can think of to make it work is to modify the bed rail by drilling corresponding holes and/or removing some of the captive nuts.

Good luck.

Last edited by truckster; 06-24-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #6
SeventyOne

ooooh good point I didn't think about that...

So hey what movie is this that your K5 is going to be in - Goonies remake?
Old 06-24-2011, 06:00 AM   #7
2003 silverado

If its only for the movie I would just do the frt and rear. I use to do that all the time--4 across the top and the 2-rear ones??? JUST A THOUGHT
1997 Ford focus (Beater)
2003 ford Taurus (student)
2014 Ford Fusion HYB (wife)
2003 Jetta ( Student)
2003 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
bigair

Yes, I am going to go with as few as is safe, big issue its a 3 or 4 hr drive to the set. I am going to try and get bolts that are only half threaded, for the sides. Any other ideas, will be checking this thread by smart phone from the shop.

As far as the movie, untitled atm, only name I see is Uncle Rico from Napoleon, it will be his truck through out the movie, he plays a rancher who calls in a ghost team due to all the paranormal activity.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:22 AM   #9
truckster

If you're only driving it on the road, having the four front and two rear will probably work short-term. If you're taking it off-road, I wouldn't do it.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #10
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

If you can get the header lined up and bolted in, you might be able to use c-clamps to attach it to the bedwall (probably won't work with a double wall).

Sometimes it helps to bolt the header down and start a couple of threads on the bedrails then take a quick drive around the block to get things to settle. It can also help to have someone on the outside pushing on the top in key points while someone is on the inside threading the bolts.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #11
BBrendal
Recalculating.....

The 1972 Blazer I had back in 1986 to 1991 was a double wall top drivin from california and had NO bolts in the side the whole 5 year duration I had it. I was around 16 yrs old at the time and didnt know it had to be bolted there. I drove that truck everywhere and never had a problem or any cracks in it. I think you will be fine without side bolts.

1969 Chevy Camaro Z28
1972 Chevy Blazer CST
2004 GMC Yukon (The truck that pulls the car trailer)
1972 Chevy Blazer CST #2 (Finished and sold!)

Blazer build link...
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/...rendal/Blazer/
BBrendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #12
SeventyOne

I would only worry about leaks (water) without the side bolts if you have the header and tailgate bolts in...but it should be okay if you're not drenching the rig...
Old 06-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #13
bigair

So I ended up getting 2 in the front(the two little brackets in the middle front) and 2 down the side(it turns out it had both holes sets(with threads and with out) the with out lined up with two on each side), and no rear bracket, it stripped so had to basical pulle the bolt out still attached to that rear bracket, I am guessing I will cut bolt off and put bolt and washer nut combo, because you can still get to the back of the bolt through the latch hole. If that makes sense, thanks for all your help, didnt finish in time, so I will be leaving at 4 am tomorrow to head out.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #14
SeventyOne

You should post up a pic of your truck...
Old 06-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #15
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

...and some cell phone shots from the movie set.. and info on the movie? Anyone famous driving it?

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #16
bigair

Its John Gries (Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite) will be driving it. He plays a Rancher who keeps having weird things happen so he calls in a paranormal team to investigate. The truck is in quite a few scenes including where it will get attacked by a giant cg wolf attempting to get at the team who have taken up refuge inside the truck. I will post some pics. The movie shoots for the next 3 weeks.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #17
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigair View Post
Its John Gries (Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite) will be driving it. He plays a Rancher who keeps having weird things happen so he calls in a paranormal team to investigate. The truck is in quite a few scenes including where it will get attacked by a giant cg wolf attempting to get at the team who have taken up refuge inside the truck. I will post some pics. The movie shoots for the next 3 weeks.
Let's hope the wolf doesn't read the board and find out about the missing bolts!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #18
bigair

Re: Pics from the movie,

So All done with film, I got few videos of truck as well as few pics with Uncle Rico aka John Gries who will be owner driver.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #19
BlazinC5

I think I can safely speek for everyone on here. We would love to see all ya got.

My build, Restarted

05 Buell firebolt
94 1500 Z71
No rice for me,,, I'm full
BlazinC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #20
OARNGESI

Did uncle rio let you use his time travel device
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #21
bigair

Here is the scene where a cg wolf will try and ram and get at the people who have ran into the truck to get away. Keep in mind, we just did a simple cable pull to get movement on the truck. In the finished scene after hitting the side the wolf will be on the hood snarling and dripping all over the windshield, the rest of the scenes are more just driving around his Ranch and some four wheeling.

I am thinking about breaking ways with my long time friend(since high school) best place to get value for it? I believe i have to sign up on this site, but i cant figure out where, maybe admin can tell me?