The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
creepdogg

How did you paint your Bed Assy?

So, this week I will get my parts back from media blasting, I plan to epoxy prime everything, I need to order all brand new fastening bolts for the bed. My question is how have other painted their beds? As a whole? Apart? Painted with the bolts in? I am looking for suggestions.

I think I plan to "use" the truck a little so I may end up getting a line X liner, as much as it pains me to not show off that shiny ass bed, I will be more upset when someone scratches it up. I think I plan to get the bed straight, cut in all outlying edges, bolt it together, paint it, then line X it. But I just done know if I want the bolts exposed and shiny, or covered with the bed liner material, I would like to have the option of unbolting it in the future if need be.

Thanks guys
creepdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: How did you paint your Bed Assy?

-
We painted mine on the Red & White truck. It was a pain in the arse but it turned out nice. Reflections make it look rough in spots but it was as straight as an arrow. I couldn't make myself line it..... I'm sure some of the old pros on here will have some tips for you but it was the first time Gary and I had painted a complete bed.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
JRBECK64

Shot my Sons 64 with Hippo Tinable Spray in Bed Liner. Here is the lesson Learned. If you decide to use this product I would recommend that you shoot the bed with a rock gut Omni paint the same color you tint the liner because if you shoot the liner over the old color (OURS WAS FLORESENT GREEN) it will show stripes in the Sprayed in bed liner exspecially when you get it in the bright sunlight. So if your going to shoot it red, paint the bed with a single stage red paint. Cost including the gun was $200.

JRBECK64

JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
creepdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
We painted mine on the Red & White truck. It was a pain in the arse but it turned out nice. Reflections make it look rough in spots but it was as straight as an arrow. I couldn't make myself line it..... I'm sure some of the old pros on here will have some tips for you but it was the first time Gary and I had painted a complete bed.

LockDoc
I really want a nice shiny straight bed, but I am a meticulous person and don't want to have to beat my wife or son when they toss something in the bed damaging it So we will see, maybe I paint it, scratch it, then line it
Old 07-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
creepdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBECK64 View Post
Shot my Sons 64 with Hippo Tinable Spray in Bed Liner. Here is the lesson Learned. If you decide to use this product I would recommend that you shoot the bed with a rock gut Omni paint the same color you tint the liner because if you shoot the liner over the old color (OURS WAS FLORESENT GREEN) it will show stripes in the Sprayed in bed liner exspecially when you get it in the bright sunlight. So if your going to shoot it red, paint the bed with a single stage red paint. Cost including the gun was $200.

JRBECK64
I will most likely line X it black, that usually covers anything, I will pay someone to do it for me, I like doing all my own work, but not on this one!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepdogg View Post
I will most likely line X it black, that usually covers anything, I will pay someone to do it for me, I like doing all my own work, but not on this one!
LineX is a great product but I am to cheap to have someone else do it and shooting this stuff in including prep time was about 2 hours. If you do spray it yourself I also recommend that you cover your entire bed because it has a tendancy to send a small partical mist that gets all over everything so if you dont want it on your paint you should cover it.

JRBECK64
JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
So, this week I will get my parts back from media blasting, I plan to epoxy prime everything, I need to order all brand new fastening bolts for the bed. My question is how have other painted their beds? As a whole? Apart? Painted with the bolts in? I am looking for suggestions.

I think I plan to "use" the truck a little so I may end up getting a line X liner, as much as it pains me to not show off that shiny ass bed, I will be more upset when someone scratches it up. I think I plan to get the bed straight, cut in all outlying edges, bolt it together, paint it, then line X it. But I just done know if I want the bolts exposed and shiny, or covered with the bed liner material, I would like to have the option of unbolting it in the future if need be.

Thanks guys
Paint it in pieces then assemble.
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
creepdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Paint it in pieces then assemble.
You have a stepper with wood floor, I want to paint in pieces, just a little worried about carriage bolts collapsing metal and cracking paint?
Old 07-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
nds1968

I painted mine in pieces. It wasn't to bad and made it easy to cut and buff the inside before assemble. I did get a couple nicks in the paint assembling it. The carriage bolts only pushed out some paint/clear in a few spots where I guess it was a little heavy. I stuck the carriage bolts and screws into a box to hold them so I could paint them, worked out real nice.

1967 short fleet Project Blue Goose
'If it don't bounce back... heeheehee you go hungry!" Blues Brothers
nds1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
You have a stepper with wood floor, I want to paint in pieces, just a little worried about carriage bolts collapsing metal and cracking paint?
If you fitted everything after media blasting and before primer you won't have a problem unless you're like my friend Rocky...he over torque's every fastener just short of the breaking point so none of his seams stay flat. With patience, care and a good feel for how much torque to use you won't collapse any metal or crack any paint. I didn't and I assembled the entire truck after paint.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #11
creepdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
If you fitted everything after media blasting and before primer you won't have a problem unless you're like my friend Rocky...he over torque's every fastener just short of the breaking point so none of his seams stay flat. With patience, care and a good feel for how much torque to use you won't collapse any metal or crack any paint. I didn't and I assembled the entire truck after paint.
Roger that