The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
74chevy3/4

speakers

hello im putting subs in my truck .... where should they go ? any ideas ?

i have a 74 chevy C20 reg. cab 2wd
74chevy3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
76stepsidechevy

Re: speakers

depends on what you have and how long your legs are. Most I see run them behind the seat and either have the seat pushed up quite a bit or use shallow subs.
76stepsidechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
Spot_remover

What would be a good example of a shallow sub. Im 6'4 so sliding the seat up is not really and option. I dont mean to hijack but this seems to go along with the OP's original question.
Spot_remover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
76stepsidechevy

Same problem here being 6'3". I thought I could get away with using one of the couple different 10s I already had laying around if I got fancy building a custom box but i cant even get one to fit back there without a box when I was test fitting/measuring. I have yet to buy a shallow sub for my truck but im sure as long as you go with a decent name sub and power it with an amp that matches well you wont be dissapointed. I did put a shallow JBL power 8 in my fathers cherokee a while back that im impressed with.
76stepsidechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
Greenlee

Has anyone tried one of those Bazooka bass tubes, or one of those compact powered subs that mount under the seat? I am thinking about going that route. I would like a nice system, but don't want to sacrifice all of the space behind the seat.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
orbot

My knowledge..

Bench seats suck for this.....i ot some individual seats and put a 12" sub behind the passenger seat, worked for me....or get a custom box done for under the seat, theres plenty room under there..or do a component set up although you wont have the same bass sound fron them.
orbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
SeanPaintsFlames

What about a single 10 (or two if you really have to) mounted in an under-dash console? I think new cars are putting subs inside the center console, near your feet. I'm leaning that way if/when I get there.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:31 AM   #8
74chevy3/4

any one got pics of boxes or setups?
Old 01-04-2011, 02:13 AM   #9
codydubb

Bazookas suck i have one in the backroom i would GIVE or not give anyone lol thats how well they work i had two tens behind the seat and two six by nines in the corners powered by 1100 watts but like everyone said you gotta slide the seat all the way forward which wasnt a big deal for me cuz im only 5' 6" but a pain for anyone else so due to weight, the terrible sounding vibrations these trucks have without some sort of dyna mat and hugging the steering wheel they had to go. i would post a pic but it wont let me attach anything for some reason
350 .60 over iron eagle h-beam rods, sealed power high comp pistons, forged crank, vortec heads, edelbrock performer rpm vortec intake, roller rockers, .488 .510 cam 750 Demon Double Pumper, Longtube headers, Dual Flowmaster exhaust,Dual electric fans, Proform electric water pump. TCI 3500 Stall Converter th350 trans B&M shift kit 10 bolt 3.73 Detroit Locker
codydubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #10
allengator

Quote:
Originally Posted by codydubb View Post
Bazookas suck i have one in the backroom i would GIVE or not give anyone lol thats how well they work i had two tens behind the seat and two six by nines in the corners powered by 1100 watts but like everyone said you gotta slide the seat all the way forward which wasnt a big deal for me cuz im only 5' 6" but a pain for anyone else so due to weight, the terrible sounding vibrations these trucks have without some sort of dyna mat and hugging the steering wheel they had to go. i would post a pic but it wont let me attach anything for some reason

Really? I had 2 8inch tubes in an old mazda b2200...
People wouldnt believe they were only 8's until I showed them!

But that was 15 years ago...

1980 Chevy SWB Pickup (build thread)

1951 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71
2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide
2018 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
allengator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #11
74chevy3/4

well if our looking at space i had i 8" tube and it would not fit because im 6'1"
Old 01-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #12
McSwine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlee View Post
Has anyone tried one of those Bazooka bass tubes, or one of those compact powered subs that mount under the seat? I am thinking about going that route. I would like a nice system, but don't want to sacrifice all of the space behind the seat.
Had one in my wifes Highlander, worked great. Thinking about getting one for the truck as well.
McSwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #13
orbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by allengator View Post
Really? I had 2 8inch tubes in an old mazda b2200...
People wouldnt believe they were only 8's until I showed them!

But that was 15 years ago...
The bigger the space the better the bass sound, cause the sound rebounds all over the place unless you got a big ass amp and subs..

I got a pair of 8" boxes ported i had in the rear of my cab, they are in great shape...i took them off couse i got a single 12" box
orbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #14
Spot_remover

I had an audio guy tell me a 6.5" bazooka tube is the only thing that will fit with the seat back.
Spot_remover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #15
wyattglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by codydubb View Post
I would have to agree with part of that, and disagree with most of it. The stock bazooka sub with the paper cone is not bad, but the longevity of it sucks. The tuning of the tubes is off from the factory, if you flip the sub around it effectively lengthens and lowers the tuning on the tube. This gives a much deeper bass, but still has pretty good response as long as you dont have a cheap amp on it. I have two 10 inch tubes that I re-coned with MTX Black Gold subs that the cones face in on. When I was running them with my Lanzar Opti 2150, they would rattle your teeth pretty freakin hard.
I know the regular cab trucks are tight for space, but an 8 inch bazooka with an Alpine or Pioneer mono amp would be great for sound. Wouldnt be overly loud, but it would provide a decent amount of bass.
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:14 AM   #16
AceX
>130dB Moderator

My old box (which I still have lying around somewhere)

Two Pioneer Shallow 10's
Arc Audio Amp is underneath the bow-tie center piece which is removeable.

This took its place...

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #17
cardreams

want to sell that old box ????? if u can find it lol
cardreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:23 PM   #18
tucsonjwt

If you want boom blasters I cannot help you. If you just want nice speakers, I have some thoughts. Cut holes in the stock kick panels and install standard speakers. Build thin MDF boxes and paint them black for the cab corners behind the seat - cut out holes for preferred size speaker, I used small speakers - might use the rest of the box for secret hiding places later. Very inexpensive and sound great, but I am an old geezer. Pics:
Attached Images

tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:43 AM   #19
sixshooter798
Desert Rat

I remember reading that this particular box will fit behind the bench seat of a regular cab. Follow the link for dimensions, but here's a picture in case you have ADD like me:

http://electronics.become.com/extra-...--sc1205339431
Attached Images

sixshooter798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:05 AM   #20
bigwheel15

Do a solid 8" or two behind the seat in a custom box.
bigwheel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #21
muthstryker

I have a 10" shallow mount sub in a slim box that I picked up from my local stereo shop.. everything fit perfect, the seat is even all the way back.

This is the box I have, Minus the sub.. I have a pioneer shallow mount.

http://www.proboxrocks.com/products/...50/index.shtml

Last edited by muthstryker; 07-20-2011 at 05:56 PM.
muthstryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #22
Prerunner1982

Years ago I had to 10"s in separate boxes behind the stock bench seat. If the sear was not all the way back it was only a notch or two forward. The seat was right up against the subs though.
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote