The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
jcraig304

CPP Column shift alignment with Park

Been lurking for several months learning tons of stuff..thanks for this forum!

Got a question I cannot seem to find the answer to. I have a 65 stepside with 327 and TH400. Bought a new CPP aftermarket economy column shift several years ago and I am finally to the point of putting it in. I have a Kugel long transmission linkage that I intend to hook up. Here is my problem...with the column installed and steering hooked up, the park lock position is way to the left of the Park indicator. Nothing is hooked up to the transmission yet..just when I slide it into park the park is way to the left (as you look at the indicator) from the park position.. I can see a problem besides aesthetics here...I will need a big throw to get it into reverse and then smaller ones to stay in alignment for N, D, etc. Is there a way to adjust the park lock position in the column itself? I called CPP this morning and they said no, so I am probably out of luck..but the guy kept saying hook it up to the tranny and it will fix itself, which sounds like a bs answer. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks.
John
jcraig304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: CPP Column shift alignment with Park

The 3 speed should line up pretty close. I have a 3speed with a later model truck column and it pretty much lines up, not perfect but Ill survive. call CPP back and raise a little question again...also contact CPPJeff on this board. email him and PM, might just call them and ask for him.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
jcraig304

Re: CPP Column shift alignment with Park

Thanks Clyde.. I will see if I can get ahold of him.
Posted via Mobile Device
jcraig304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:40 AM   #4
tazattitude

Arrow Re: CPP Column shift alignment with Park

I just installed the same column with a 200-4r. Once you have it linked to the transmission. The transmission will control where the indicator ends up on the column. In other words with the transmission in park, it will need to be in the "P" along with in the lock position. Then of course, you take it down to first, you want the indicator to be in "1". If not, then you will need to do more adjusting.

You will be able to also control the throw as well. Takes some adjusting to do. Took me about 45 minutes to get it all lined up and working good

You'll also want to install a neutral safety switch at the same time, so it only starts in P or N. You'll have to cut a notch in the column along with the shift "tube" inside the column

BUILDS
1966 GMC Suburban

1963 GMC Suburban Patina frame-on FOR Sale

1966 C10 Short Bed (2010-11)
Monthly Updates

2015 C10 Pics with my '72 Montego GT 429/521 build

1963 Pro Street C10 back halved. Frame off I did back in 1990
Pics / Video
tazattitude is offline   Reply With Quote