The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
cfan10

Cool strip it bare?

Ok, thinking about stripping all paint off exterior or at the least the metal part of dash. Can i clear a couple of times over bare metal, want a sorta delaren (spelled wrong?) look. Not worried about surface rust, but rot is scary. Will clear protect it. Is this possible, opinions? Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
notyo_cheez

Cool Re: strip it bare?

In Texas you'll bake like a potato with a scuffed exterior. And you'll literally be able to fry an egg on the hood. Probably won't earn you any bragging rights, I'd pick a color and go with it instead.

You won't get the look of brushed stainless (DeLorean) unless you fab new body panels yourself in stainless. Don't go there.

The dash pad sub-base won't matter but for safety's sake you may want to reconsider and keep it padded. I like my teeth.
notyo_cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
broey
Square

Re: strip it bare?

there are tons of bare metal c10's here in arizona, they just look like they are un-finished even though they done.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
cjlinkster

Re: strip it bare?

I was at Walmart that other day, and there set a restored Delorean in the parking lot. I have never seen on in person before, but that was a cool looking car. It really did shine in the sun though!
Old 07-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
cfan10

Cool Re: strip it bare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyo_cheez View Post
In Texas you'll bake like a potato with a scuffed exterior. And you'll literally be able to fry an egg on the hood. Probably won't earn you any bragging rights, I'd pick a color and go with it instead.

You won't get the look of brushed stainless (DeLorean) unless you fab new body panels yourself in stainless. Don't go there.

The dash pad sub-base won't matter but for safety's sake you may want to reconsider and keep it padded. I like my teeth.

Lol, i like my teeth, but i was talking about the bottom part of dash glove box area, all across where headlight switch mounts. Think that would look pretty cool.
Posted via Mobile Device
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote