The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
cfan10

Cool clean it up? engine

1) What do i need to clean up engine for paint (i know brake cleaner)

2) Also, my right exhaust manifold has a small crack, (going to trash it) what tools do i need to remove exhaust manifolds to prep for paint? (heard horror stories about bolts breaking off)

3) planning on using engine spray bombs, (no painting tools)

Thanks for any advice.
Posted via Mobile Device
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
veinbar

Re: clean it up? engine

1) Brake cleaner is expensive and messy. I prefer a cheap purple power or similar degreaser to remove the bulk of the nonsense. Then, follow it up with a spray bottle filled with mineral spirits paint thinner. This will remove filmy, oily residue left behind. Now the surface should be ready to paint.

2) I can't think of any special tools needed to remove exhaust manifolds, just be careful. Like anything, don't speed through this process with ill fitting sockets or you could find yourself in a crap situation. On that note, you may need a special tool to re-install your exhaust manifolds. They are undoubtedly warped from years of use so the holes may not line up properly requiring the use of a exhaust manifold spreader. You can rent this part from autozone or o'reilly's. No need to purchase it unless you see yourself needing it often.

3) Now you will get differing opinions on how to paint an engine. I have painted 4 or 5 so I'm no expert, but I have found a combination that lasts longer than others. Clean the block thoroughly as mentioned before, tap and mask accordingly, use a high temp primer first. Go for 100% coverage with the primer which may be two coats. Let dry, and follow up w/ 2-3 coats of high temp engine paint. Take your time when applying paint. It's a building process so first coat will be light and look like crap, the second coat will be about 80% coverage, and the final coat 100%.

Again, this is how I do it, and it holds up well over time. If you want to show it to people, then do it right. I find myself popping my hood a lot because my engine bay is more attractive than my truck. LOL Hope this helps.

veinbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
cfan10

Those are sweet! Thanks for the great advice.
Posted via Mobile Device
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
Stepper562

Nice job man. I'm getting ready to yank my motor and trans to replacing all my gaskets and seals so this'll be tons of help.
Posted via Mobile Device
Stepper562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
veinbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepper562 View Post
Nice job man. I'm getting ready to yank my motor and trans to replacing all my gaskets and seals so this'll be tons of help.
Posted via Mobile Device
How many miles are on your engine? What's prompting the gasket swap? Any reason you wouldn't want to have it rebuilt for a little more?
Old 07-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
wyattglock

"Brake cleaner is expensive and messy. I prefer a cheap purple power or similar degreaser to remove the bulk of the nonsense. Then, follow it up with a spray bottle filled with mineral spirits paint thinner. This will remove filmy, oily residue left behind. Now the surface should be ready to paint."

I second that motion! I used Simple Green in the one gallon concentrated form to cut the grease and grime. Then went back over the engine with mineral spirits in a spray bottle and used lots of blue shop towels. Stay away from the red rags, they leave a bunch of fuzz.
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
67_SS396

If you have lots of caked on piles of grime, whether it be an engine, trans, diff, suspension parts or whatever, cheap oven cleaner fron the dollar store works great. For parts you don't mind getting wet, follow up with a pressure washer and watch the grime and paint come right off. Not sure that I would use the pressure washer on an engine that's not going to be torn down completely though.
Posted via Mobile Device

'66 C10 - The new hot rod

'77 3+3 Dually - 12 valve 4wd conversion tow rig project

'28 Ford 2 door sedan street rod

RevLimit Offroad

"Hang on beer, we can do this."
67_SS396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
Stepper562

Quote:
Originally Posted by veinbar View Post
How many miles are on your engine? What's prompting the gasket swap? Any reason you wouldn't want to have it rebuilt for a little more?
Mileage on the rig is unknown...I need to replace my oil pan gasket and valve cover gaskets. I'd love to do a rebuild but my rig is my dd. If I'm going to do internal work I might as well build a 383. As of now I just dont have the time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Stepper562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #9
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

i just use engine shampoos
pressure washer at a local bay(neigbours might get upset washing my gunk down the street/drain)
the manifold bolts have broken for me ,leaving a nib and i used a oxy/acel torch from inside the exhaust port to cherry heat it and that did it
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #10
veinbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepper562 View Post
Mileage on the rig is unknown...I need to replace my oil pan gasket and valve cover gaskets. I'd love to do a rebuild but my rig is my dd. If I'm going to do internal work I might as well build a 383. As of now I just dont have the time.
Posted via Mobile Device
A 383 would be amazing, but can cost 2-3x the amount of just having the stock motor rebuilt. I got my 350 long block rebuilt for $700. Add on the cost of the remaining gaskets, hoses, belts, and lines, you're looking at $1100 or less. A healthy 350 will pull your truck around effortlessly. I would have a 383 if I could afford it, but the 350 in my truck has been amazing. Daily driving better than any past vehicle.