The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
metal chevy

Cool Deck and Sub Install on an 82

Just bought a new to me 82 k20. Right now it has no deck or front speakers, though it has the 2 speakers up in the dash. At this time im not sure if they work. The dash where the old stereo was located has been cut it looks like. Ill upload a pic of the cutout. I can tell im going to have to rewire most of all of it because the only the wires i can find right now are the dash speakers, as well as a grey wire and black wire. But if the dash is cut to fit a newer single din deck, will i just have to get the wiring harness and piece that slides in to house the deck? Would i be able to find both at an audio store for this old of a vehicle or will i have to order offline?

Also, does anyone know where to buy a 12" sub box to put behind my seat? Ive looked around online and most sites are pretty vague on fitment. The 12" i have is an Alpine Type R if that matters. Thanks guys.
metal chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:52 AM   #2
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Re: Deck and Sub Install on an 82

You won't need a wiring harness. All you have is 12V constant, 12V switched, ground, speaker wires and remote turn on for an amp (you are going to use an amp for your 12" sub, correct?)

You also won't need a mounting kit, because the head unit should come with a mounting sleeve. That's all you'll need on an old Chevy.

As far as the box goes, why don't you build your own? You can get much better results for less $$.

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
metal chevy

Ok well that makes it sound a lot easier then I was thinking lol. My buddy is really good with wiring so ill have him help me out with it. For the speakers behind the seat, what size are they? They look like a 5x7 or 6x9 maybe.

Box wise, I might just build one myself unless I find a cheap used one locally. It depends on if the sub i have will fit in a shallow mount box.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

I don't know about the rear speakers.. you can probably take a tape measure and measure the mounting holes.

That Type R has a mounting depth of almost 8". Sorry to break it to you, but that's not going to be a shallow mount box.

Something like this would work better if you want to keep your leg room... Shallow Sub

Again, you are planning on using an amplifier for your subwoofer, correct? I haven't seen you mention one yet.

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
Old 07-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
metal chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riveted1 View Post
I don't know about the rear speakers.. you can probably take a tape measure and measure the mounting holes.

That Type R has a mounting depth of almost 8". Sorry to break it to you, but that's not going to be a shallow mount box.

Something like this would work better if you want to keep your leg room... Shallow Sub

Again, you are planning on using an amplifier for your subwoofer, correct? I haven't seen you mention one yet.

I got the deck in and all wired up. The rear speakers still work and sound pretty good for being so old. The front dash speakers work as well, mainly acting as a tweeter for now.

I wired the deck all correct and everything, except for one thing i wasnt sure about. Right now the deck is hardwired to the battery so the radio will work whenever the battery is hooked up. There is a yellow wire under the dash, that, by a wiring list i found online, means it is the Switched 12v Ignition wire. If i wire that directly with the wire running from the battery, will that make it so the radio will only be on when i have the key turned?

I assume yes, but i didnt wanna take any chances and screw somethin up.

Oh and yes i am running an amp with whatever sub i run. I am selling my Alpine type r and the box its in, and am gonna be buyin a truck box.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

No, you need to run the switched 12V wire to a switched open terminal on your fuse block. If you tie it in with the constant 12v wire, it will turn on anytime no matter the key's position, so it could drain your battery. The constant 12v wire also doesn't need to be run to the battery, just to an always energized terminal on the fuse block. There is a spot marked "radio" on the fuse block, but I don't remember if it is always hot or switched. So use that one (whichever type it is) and then find the other one somewhere else on the fuse block.

Clear as mud?

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
Old 07-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Just to clarify, that yellow wire under the dash is coming from your radio, correct? Or did I misunderstand?

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
Old 07-28-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
metal chevy

Quote:
No, you need to run the switched 12V wire to a switched open terminal on your fuse block. If you tie it in with the constant 12v wire, it will turn on anytime no matter the key's position, so it could drain your battery. The constant 12v wire also doesn't need to be run to the battery, just to an always energized terminal on the fuse block. There is a spot marked "radio" on the fuse block, but I don't remember if it is always hot or switched. So use that one (whichever type it is) and then find the other one somewhere else on the fuse block.

Clear as mud?
Ok well yeah right now i got the radios constant and switched wired together running to the battery. Can i run the radios and trucks switched together and be good or do i need the radios switched connected to power? Im assuming it needs power. If thats the case i could wire the radios switched to the fuse block but then how does my trucks switched wire connect into all of that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riveted1 View Post
Just to clarify, that yellow wire under the dash is coming from your radio, correct? Or did I misunderstand?
The yellow wire i was talkin about was comin from the truck side. I looked it up online and that is the trucks switched wire. Thats why i thought if i wired that into the radios switched it would make it work only when the key is turned.