The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
93FatBottom

73-87 2 wheel drive to 4x4 swap?

Hey guys, This is my first post here, so I better make it count, right?

Ive recently acquired a 1985 c30 dually. im looking to convert to 4 wheel drive. I have spent many a night looking for a crew cab 4x4 frame, but have had no luck at all. So then I began searching for information to shove a straight axle under her. That being said, I need some information, and I'm hoping you guys wouldnt mind helping out.

First off, The core support mounts for the 4 wheel drive, Im lead to believe that the core support mounts have the build in leaf spring buckets on the bottom, and that I just need to hammer out the rivets and then bolt the new core support/leaf spring buckets in place of the old core support brackets? Is this true, or would it require new holes drilled into the frame?

Secondly, I read online that the leaf spring shackle brackets for the rear of the front springs use 4 exsisting holes in the 2 wheel drive frame. I have the truck stored about an hour north and I wont be back up there for another two weeks, so I cant go check at the moment, but im hoping someone here has the answer to this?

everything else I can tie together between me, my father, and my friends. All I need to do is get the front leaf springs mounted, for right now. I've also considered looking into the DIY4X B52 kit, but for now Id like to stick with all stock bolt on parts, which I can easily cut off the numerous parts trucks I have access too (just none of them are crew cabs so I cant steal the frame )

Anyways, if any of you would be so kind is to help me out with info on this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
93FatBottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
b454rat

Re: 73-87 2 wheel drive to 4x4 swap?

Are you on FullsizeChevy, too?? If so answered over there. Go with the B52 kit, can't use stock hangers without modifying, also arent' very strong.
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
88bagedntaged

Re: 73-87 2 wheel drive to 4x4 swap?

Check mine out. 88 CC 2x4 starting life and now !!
Attached Images

88bagedntaged is offline   Reply With Quote