The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
bowt1ed

Rear disc headaches?

Well, slowly but surely making progress on the 57. Just got my No Limit Fatbar welded in, and naturally - the drive shaft is too long now! Anyway, next is new fuel lines (for new relocated tank) and brakes lines, as well as new rear brakes. Looking a disc conversion out back, and would welcome any shared experiences/lessons learned (particular brand, etc.), as well as difficulities with the parking brake cable on aftermarket rear disc conversions. I heard it can be a bear getting the parking brake together due to access (?). Thanks in advance, Jim
Attached Images

bowt1ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
wildearp

Re: Rear disc headaches?

I always use a Lokar cable kit when connecting up parking brakes.

Did No-limit make the 4-bar on your truck? Got any side shots to show where it connects to the frame? (please)
wildearp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
bowt1ed

Sure wildearp - thanks for the response!

Yes, I bought the Fat Bar set up from No Limit after much debate on whether to stay flipped leaf, go trailing arm or 4-link. It bolts (or welds) forward and welds elsewhere. You can go on their sight and download the entire installation sheet.

I have heard that rear disc brakes offer a difficult application for the parking brake. I assume the cable mechanically applies pressure of caliper to disc as hydraulics do under normal operation - correct? That being said, has anyone experienced any difficulty getting it to hook up? Also, any feedback on product offered (CPP, SSBC, etc.)? Thanks much, Jim
Attached Images

bowt1ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
wildearp

I already made a post in one of the forums with the difficulties I had with the CPP kit. I recommend the SSBC kits, Speedway Motors kits, or the kits sold by Currie Enterprises. Call Currie for availability, as their website was not up to date when I was shopping.

The kit I used has GM calipers with Ebrake. If you use a Lokar parking brake lever, go for the longer lever.

The brake kits that use a drum brake shoe inside the hat of the disk brake (ford style) work better. My GM setup barely works if I give it a ton of effort. There is no way the wife can disengage the brake with the short Lokar lever.

Here is the link to the other post:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=475483
wildearp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
Daze57

mid 70s - 80s caddy had good disc rear ends that usually bolt right up . you may need to make some small mods but for the most part should work .biarritz is the name of that particular model of caddy - usually found in the junkyards these days .

that is if you want to change out the whole rear end -- good luck on your project!
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
Daze57

also i forgot - the caddy seville 70;s- 80s also is a good rear end disc setup
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #7
Trucknut57

I went and pulled the whole rear disc setup off a 2000 Blazer 2wd. Fit perfect and has the parking brake under the rotor. Just connected the parking brake cable to the original location and now I can use my original setup.

Whole thing cost me less than $200.

- dcozzi
Trucknut57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:34 AM   #8
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

I see you have a chevy 10 bolt. The eaisist disc conversion is a 2002 CAMARO TRANS AM 12" LS1 REAR DISC BRAKES. They will actually bolt on to your axles:http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/w...keCable-2.jpg&

My emergency brake is a foot stomper. From the crossover rod I used the Lokar setup: http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/w...=P5150122.jpg&

http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/w...cpZZ3QQtppZZ20

Last edited by BIG CHEVY 3600; 07-30-2011 at 12:44 AM.
BIG CHEVY 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote