The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
notyo_cheez

Question Goodwrench Crate Engines...

Thoughts/opinions/suggestions?

Heard they are being made in Mexico, but they have to be tested somehow right?

Debating on exchanging the 305 for a rebuilt one from Autozone, they have the best deal for $999 less taxes, freight and core. The "core" hasn't been run in a long time, don't know what it will do although two previous owners say it ran when they parked it...
notyo_cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
sixshooter798
Desert Rat

Re: Goodwrench Crate Engines...

Personally I wouldn't buy anything from Autozone. Not even brake cleaner.
sixshooter798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

I have delt with a few of them.....one went back with problems.

GM dealer will probably be the best deal on one.
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
tucsonjwt

When I bought my 83 the previous owner said he had the dealer replace the 454 engine and SM465 transmission. There is a metal tag on the engine block that says something like: "rebuilt for General Motors" and a note about the bored over size. So, I guess this means it is a Goodwrench engine. So far, no problems with the engine - just problems with everything attached to it I put about 35,000 miles on it in 8 years and I am sure he put on a lot more - he used it with a truck camper.
I would rather buy a Goodwrench engine over any other brand because I think GM would enforce quality standards on their suppliers regardless of where they were. Much of GM's product line is built in Mexico, including whole vehicles assembled there - that would not bother me.
Most mechanics around here promote Jasper rebuilds, but I have no experience with them. Promar engines has an interesting website, but I know nothing about their engines.
I would scan GM Parts Direct website to get an idea of what engines are available from GM. A lot of the difference is long or short block - heads, intake, distributor, etc. add up in a hurry. Personally, I would prefer a new engine over a rebuilt engine any day. If you plan to keep your vehicle a long time, then I would go new - unless you do a late model transplant like a 5.3 and newer trans, but then you get into all of the computer/electronics issues - so you might as well just buy a newer truck.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyo_cheez View Post
they have the best deal for $999

They have the cheapest price...... And quality for that price.

I've read many horror stories about cheap crate engines, One rod or main journal turned under and the others just polished. Helicoils through-out the block where bolts had been stripped/broken off etc.

I'd stick with GM if possible, Mine was built new at the GM Tonawanda Engine Plant in NY but that was back in 1997.....
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
1BadSS
NOT REALLY BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
When I bought my 83 the previous owner said he had the dealer replace the 454 engine and SM465 transmission. There is a metal tag on the engine block that says something like: "rebuilt for General Motors" and a note about the bored over size. So, I guess this means it is a Goodwrench engine. So far, no problems with the engine - just problems with everything attached to it I put about 35,000 miles on it in 8 years and I am sure he put on a lot more - he used it with a truck camper.
I would rather buy a Goodwrench engine over any other brand because I think GM would enforce quality standards on their suppliers regardless of where they were. Much of GM's product line is built in Mexico, including whole vehicles assembled there - that would not bother me.
Most mechanics around here promote Jasper rebuilds, but I have no experience with them. Promar engines has an interesting website, but I know nothing about their engines.
I would scan GM Parts Direct website to get an idea of what engines are available from GM. A lot of the difference is long or short block - heads, intake, distributor, etc. add up in a hurry. Personally, I would prefer a new engine over a rebuilt engine any day. If you plan to keep your vehicle a long time, then I would go new - unless you do a late model transplant like a 5.3 and newer trans, but then you get into all of the computer/electronics issues - so you might as well just buy a newer truck.

Real Goodwrench crate motors are BRAND NEW blocks and internals. They aren't rebuilt blocks. My 350 260hp 4 bolt main crate motor was all brand new inside, even the block when I got it.
68 C20 LWB stripper truck
73 K5 Cheyenne
76 C20 Sierra Crew SRW
88 K20 Suburban

I'm not hammering on metal just to hammer, i'm creating a piece of art.
1BadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
tucsonjwt

Every GM Goodwrench new or remanufactured replacement engine is made to the same exacting GM engineering standards that go into every new GM vehicle

http://www.highperformanceparts.net/...nes/index.html
Old 07-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

My dad had bought a Goodwrench crate 350 longblock, to replace the 305. It sat for about a year before he had a chance to put it in...

to this date, I have about 20k on it.. it runs real strong, but at idle it had what I thought was lifter clack. Pulled the valve covers and adjusted the valves down some, and same noise..

From various opinions on hearing it, it seems to be wrist-pin slop, or something deeper.. not rod knocking, just sounds sloppy inside...

It's really a crap shoot with anything you get.. be it GM Goodwrench name, or anything else these days. Unfortunately pops misplaced the receipt.. but even though they are warrantied, you gotta take it all apart again to get it fixed or replaced.. just a pain in the rear.
Attached Images

"... Being "SQUARE".. is where it's at...."

Proverbs 15:30 .... "A Cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones..."
Be exceedingly blessed today, my friends!...
CaliDude76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #9
rwhit57

I've got a Goodwrench 250hp/350 in my truck. just over 40,000 miles on it and no problems at all. I put headers and an intake on it last year and it runs strong and sounds good. I would not buy one from Autozone, period.

rwhit57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #10
Desert1957

http://www.hiperformer.com/
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
tucsonjwt

Early 5.3 vortec engines were famous for piston slap. I have owned several 5.3 new vehicles since 2001 and did not experience any piston slap, but I drove them only 3-4,000 miles before trading them in. Anything you buy today is a crap shoot, especially since we are now racing to the bottom to meet Chinese import quality. So, I look for vendors that have a reputation for refunds/exchange without too much hassle.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:17 PM   #12
VegasBruce

This is what I have in my 73. http://www.gmhorsepower.com/350.php Runs great, I did a 23 hour run from Huntsville TX to Las Vegas loaded with tools. Not a miss, burp or bobble, only stopped for gas.

73 Stepside, 74 Blazer, 75 1 Ton, 66 Barracuda and a 05 Electraglide DD

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...Rusti192-1.jpg
VegasBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #13
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i was comparison shopping different remanufactured and crate motors and I found that they JEGS sells GM motors at good prices. It cost me right under $1600 to the door and its been a good motor so far although i have yet to get 1000 miles on it. The use genuine gm parts. Autozone uses cheap rebuild kits and ive not heard any good things about their stuff

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:11 PM   #14
80SPORT

The GM performance parts 350/290 hp motor is a drop in for all the v8 trucks from 73 to 86.

It is all brand new;it is the 350 goodwrench motor with the corvette L82 camshaft.

Runs well,sounds great with the L82 cam ...and come with a 2 year warrantee from GM.

Of course if you have a short bed performance truck a GMPP 383 is a nice option.
80SPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:14 AM   #15
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Yea I have never heard anything overly great about the auto zone motors from anybody. It does seem like its getting pretty hard to get decent parts that are made right these days haha. Not going to get into on here but ya I have seen a lot of it in the last couple years!
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:49 AM   #16
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

I run a ZZ4 crate motor.

Runs like a beast!! It had ~20,000 miles when I bought it. A guy totalled his Vette with the engine. I hope not to total my truck with it! The brakes work great because it has plenty of vacuum.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #17
notyo_cheez

Thanks for all the responses fellas. JEG'S by far has the best deal I have found, $1400 and a sweet package deal that includes carb, intake, chrome goodies and a few other things I'm forgetting for about $2300.

I was a little concerned about the build quality of the Goodwrench crates, I know the older pre-Goodwrench production engines had high nickel alloy blocks and were preferred for their durability. A craigslist post I saw yesterday had one for $600 which included a long tail 350 trans and radiator, but for the long-winded description of how good this engine of his is I think he is hiding something. Not going there anyway.

Not quite ready for the engine yet. When it's not 100 degrees in the shade I'll resume working on it.
notyo_cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:20 AM   #18
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I have a GM Ramjet 350 in my 77. I shopped the net for the best deal, and found Summit would match the price, offered free shipping (at that time) and had it IN STOCK. Its is really hard to beat Summit Racing for GM crate motors.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #19
JuicyJ

I installed a gm goodwrench 350 in 1998. I didn't want to mess witha rebuild so I went the crate engine route. 1600 is what it cost me but they had it in stock and it came with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. Slapped a edelbrock performer cam in it and it has not let me down one day ever. Best money I have spent.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #20
vtwinsport

I personally would buy an engine built from my local speed shop. The tolerances will be cloer 1-2 thousand rather than the 5-8 thousandths for crate motors. You'll be ablt walk up to the counter and talk with them about any issue and they are local for any warranty issues.
You might pay a bit more for it but you are supporting local industry/ jobs.
For what its worth...

76 Silverado, 2wd, long box, 350/th350, 3.42 posi, edelbrock performer 64cc heads, edelbrock 1405, 2101 intake, Hedman Headers, Comp Cam XE262
http://beerbreadbike.wordpress.com/
vtwinsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #21
cfan10

Cool Re: Goodwrench Crate Engines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter798 View Post
Personally I wouldn't buy anything from Autozone. Not even brake cleaner.

I 2nd, 3rd and 4th that. Stay away from autozone!
Posted via Mobile Device
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #22
juiceman650

My 75 has a Goodwrench 350 in it that was rebuilt (said the previous owner), the only problem I had was a bad carb, and just recently it seems as if my fuel pump is on its way out.
Posted via Mobile Device
juiceman650 is offline   Reply With Quote