The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #1
matthew.doan

53 coe help...my first one...

im going to pick up a 53 coe sat. and i have a few ?'s i need answered..im new to coe

1.how many people like these?
2. how much do they weigh
3. can you do frame swaps on these big rigs!!!
4.if i leave on original frame can i put diff wheels on it?
5.i few years from now if i sell..would it sell good?
6, are parts hard to find?

please help and pics is great..'

thanks matt
Attached Images

matthew.doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:16 AM   #2
Kim57

Re: 53 coe help...my first one...

Welcome
I don't have any technical info but think the COE's are really neat.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:35 AM   #3
OrrieG

Hit the link in my signature for the manual project. When it opens at the bottom of the page is a link to "year index". go there and find you year. The books have all the techincal info, frame sizes, weights, dimensions, etc. The Factory assembly manual also have the frame dimensions, bracket, cross member and other dimensions. Most of the ones I have seen have been put on lighter model frames.

Last edited by OrrieG; 07-26-2011 at 12:42 AM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
dicer

There maybe someone that would like one modified, but the safe bet is to restore to factory stock if you do plan on selling it. Just look at all the ad's that are online or anyplace else. A good factory original sells fast and for a good price. There are tons of projects and modified older trucks out there that are forsale, they don't seem to sell for the inflated price that is being asked. I think the first fear someone would have about a mixed match truck is how well it was done, fearing they maybe driving down the road and have the welded in clip fall out or what ever.

That truck looks like its in real good shape, a frame with out welded on dump hoist etc.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
drivea55

although I am a mod it to your liking kinda guy,

I have to agree here with dicer, that truck looks like a really good candidate for a stock restoration.

but with that being said...

do with what your heart tells ya!

Brian

SOLD to "ONEBADFIVEFIVE"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=436406
drivea55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:05 AM   #6
autocustomizer

i just bought a 51 COE, and people put differnt frames on these ALOT, usally what i have found is people use the 73-87 frames, im guessing cause there cheap. and they mount the engine behind the cab.

i dont know what engine my 51 has but it doesnt run yet, dont know if the engine is even any good. how much did you have to pay for yours?
autocustomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:09 AM   #7
autocustomizer

oh and my truck with a flat bed with no floor in it weighed in at 5,900lbs. used a newer ford f650 roll back to get it
Old 07-27-2011, 12:11 AM   #8
matthew.doan

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocustomizer View Post
i just bought a 51 COE, and people put differnt frames on these ALOT, usally what i have found is people use the 73-87 frames, im guessing cause there cheap. and they mount the engine behind the cab.

i dont know what engine my 51 has but it doesnt run yet, dont know if the engine is even any good. how much did you have to pay for yours?
how do they get all the stuff to work right if its behind the cab?
and i did some trading around for it so i really hate to say what i have in it, people may pass out haha
Old 07-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #9
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Dont know anything about them, but do think that they are cool.
Attached Images

hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
wildearp

I mounted one on a late 70's, early 80's 1 ton chassis. If you pick a bus chassis, they make a wide and narrow frame. You want the narrow. I will say if you plan a v-8 and mount it up front, you will have no foot/leg room. This is why lots of folks do a rear engine.
wildearp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:52 PM   #11
autocustomizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew.doan View Post
how do they get all the stuff to work right if its behind the cab?
and i did some trading around for it so i really hate to say what i have in it, people may pass out haha
radiators still mount in the front with electric fans and then they run the coolent threw pipe under the cab. as for making everything else work, just longer linkages and wiring.

and i paid 500.00 for mine, i thought that was an amazing deal.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:17 AM   #12
xpickup

matthew.doan, That is a nice truck. I ussually modify everthing so that is what i would do. I did a lot of work on my buddies 1950 Ford COE from sheet metal ( a lot of custom stuff)to mounting the cab and everything else . The steering was the pain to do but I used one those steering offset boxs which work out great. I also used a shorty column. I mounted the motor about in the middle of the second set of doors below the floor. The radiator is in the factory location. The frame is a F350 1 ton chassis. Looks like a great project. I would like one sometime but it need to be a Chevy. Sorry, I know it is a Ford but is gives you a idea!

Shannon
Attached Images

xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:42 PM   #13
matthew.doan

thanks for all the help!!

i would like to put it on a newer frame and make it like a hauler but i dont know what frame to really get. I was thinking like a 80's chevy would that work?

also i might know were a 80's single cab wedge style rollback is...how well would that work for my cab?
Old 07-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #14
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Pretty cool. I like them. Check out RoddingRoundTable.com and look for 348Tripower's project. His is a Dodge body COE on an 88-98 Chevy full size frame. He put the engine behind the cab and had a local steel shop bend some big bed sides for it. He used AD rear fenders on it. I'll try for a link but if you want a hot rod, then go for a hot rod. Don't worry about stock frames and such unless you are worried about it being a stocker.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #15
kieth

I have owned, sold, 3000 class 8 trucks, The frames on these vehicles are basicly straight, this makes lengthening, shortening, modifying pretty eash to do. If you are going with the later model frame it will ride better but it could involve a lot of fabrication to make it all come together. With the stock straight frame one could easily put any engine, transmission, rear axle combo that they wanted........Just remember all of this takes some experience.........the tools are very large......but you will not believe how inexpensively you can purchase a complete older class 6,7, or 8 truck, but it can cost a lot of money if the engine is bad.........find someone to help you pick a vehicle and the componentry......Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #16
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

http://www.roddingroundtable.com/for...636&highlight=

Dodge cab, Chevy drivetrain, AD fenders, hand made bed. Pretty awesome COE. I saw it when he started with it as a cab on a trailer about 4-5 years ago.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:15 AM   #17
fat57

looks good
fat57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:59 AM   #18
mr48chev

I've seen that Dodge coe that Dan posted the link to in coverage of rod runs several times so it must get around pretty good.

A friend of mine up here in the pnw has a 40 something Ford coe cab on a later chassis with the engine and trans under the flat bed with what looks like a crate on the flatbed as an engine cover. The bed tilts up to display or work on the engine. The truck doesn't get used as a truck though and is just a big hot rod.

Advantages to having the engine behind the cab under the bed are 1. a lot less heat in the cab of the truck plus you can make a bit more room. 2. The engine is a lot easier to work on. It's tight quarters in those COE stock engine compartments even with the stock engine.
I'm looking into putting later one ton suspension under my 51 1-1/2 ton standard cab to have a truck I can use more and then putting a ramp truck bed on it to haul other vehicles with.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:09 PM   #19
Wheelie

These are really cool. I have seen one at the Dallas Autorama called "Rusty Nutz" and it was really cool. I have always thought of making a cool hauler with one myself.
Wheelie is offline   Reply With Quote