The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
funkytechmonkey

Play in steering above gear box.

I have some play in my steering while driving. I can turn the steering wheel a good inch before it will start turning the wheels. Looking thru the fender wells you can see the shaft turning (the play in the stealing wheel) at the top of the gear box and the linkage at the bottom of the steering box does not move. I assume this is a problem in the steering box itself? Any way to tell what is causing this?

Thanks for your help guys.
Posted via Mobile Device
Boyd Welds Gas tank and mild c-notch.
Click here to view my build
funkytechmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
mdaven@aol.com

Re: Play in steering above gear box.

Check to see if there is a lock nut around a screw on the top of the steering box. Loosen the nut and slowly turn the screw in to remove some of the slack in the steering. Do not tighten it completely, only until the steering shaft is more responsive. If that does not work, you need to investigate another steering box, most likely.
mdaven@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
mdaven@aol.com

Here is a picture of the adjuster in the middle of the inspection plate not where the rachet is located.
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
funkytechmonkey

That helped a little bit...THANKS FOR THE QUICK RESPONSE!

It felt like I tightened it down all the way so I backed it back out a little bit then tightened it down. Hopefully tinigjts drive will let me know if its better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-30-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
Shane
Account Suspended

that is NOT an adjuster for steering play ... it is by the manufacturer to adjust for backlash in the gears on initial setup. you will probably find that your steering is tight when you go full lock side to side and that's because the gears wear in the middle more than the full turns because we drive them in a straight line more than we do thru corners. when you tighten down on it you simply tighten up on the worn section.

be very careful as this type of adjustment has been known to ruin steering boxes. quickly.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:42 PM   #6
cdowns

not just the steering boxes get trashed with that type of bubba adjustment but whole trucks have been known to b trashed to nuttin with the surprise of the sterring box failure at speed

check your rag joint coupler for slop as well as other suspension part
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:57 PM   #7
mdaven@aol.com

Courtesy of: Parts Mike Parts
(530) 885-0673
750 Perry Ranch Rd
Auburn, CA 95603

Saginaw Steering Box Adjustment

The nut and screw adjust Worm bearing Preload and Sector shaft mesh. NOTE! The steering gear must be out of the vehicle to adjust it on all 1974 and later Saginaw rotary gear units. The earlier models can be adjusted (sector shaft preload) on vehicle. Here is the manner that GM Saginaw Division recommends how to adjust. Disconnect the pitman arm from the sector shaft, completely back off the sector shaft adjusting screw on the sector shaft cover. Center steering on the "high point" then attach an inch lb torque wrench to the steering wheel shaft, the torque required to keep the shaft moving for one complete turn should be 1/2 - 2 in lbs. If the torque is not within these limits, loosen the thrust bearing locknut or tighten valve sleeve adjuster plug to bring the preload within limits. Tighten the thrust bearing locknut and recheck preload. Slowly rotate the steering shaft several times, then center the steering on high point. Now, turn the sector shaft adjusting screw until a steering shaft torque of 3 - 6 in lbs more is required to move the worm through the center point. Tighten the sector shaft locknut to 35 ft lbs and recheck the sector mesh adjustment. Total steering gear preload should be 14 in lbs or less. Install the pitman arm and replace back in vehicle. To try and adjust the sector shaft screw without doing the preceding will DAMAGE the steering gear. Most of the play is not in the sector shaft adjustment, it is the spool valve area.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
mdaven@aol.com

Another set of information.
How to adjust the steering gearbox
by: Jim Forbes

Since the steering adjustment is similar, I'll go thru a quick layman's version...but, you will of course eventually need to overhaul the gear, as the bushings are most likely worn out, at the least. There are two adjustments, the worm bearing tension, and the gear mesh adjustment. First, jack up the truck so the front wheels are off the ground, so the steering is free to turn. Put jack stands under the frame!

The worm bearings are adjusted by loosening the big lock nut, then turning the bearing housing. On the 59 and older trucks, this adjustment is at the bottom of the box, at the front. On the 60-newer trucks, look at the top of the box, where the steering shaft (to the steering wheel) sticks out. Usually a hammer and blunt punch will loosen the locknut. The bearings should be adjusted to get a few inch-pounds of drag on the worm gear (steering wheel), but you can adjust it by tightening up to remove the play, then go just a smidgen tighter..and tighen the locknut securely.

Then, adjust the gear mesh, which is a slotted screw with a 5/8" hex locknut. Get the steering centered (wheels straight ahead), and loosen the locknut. Gradually tighten the adjusting screw in, while frequently checking the steering play by turning the steering wheel back and forth a turn or two...but leave it centered when adjusting. Evenually, you will take up the slack, unless the gears/bushings are really worn, in which case the adjusting screw will go all the way into the box! (not good). Tighten till the slack is all gone, then add about a half turn of preload to it. If all is well, you should feel the steering get just a little bit harder as you pass thru the center of the steering wheel's travel. Tighten the locknut securely, and enjoy the "new" feel of driving your truck.

Also, when you finally get around to rebuilding the gear, you will want to have the shop manual for reference, so you can accurately adjust it. A few years ago I bought a few tubes of GM steering gear lube from the local dealer...The correct GM part # for steering box lubrication is 1052182--you can get it from you local GM dealer..This lube is neat, it's half way between grease and oil. Oil is too thin and leaks out, but grease is too thick and won't properly lube the re-circulating balls. Use the right stuff!
Old 07-31-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
Shane
Account Suspended

just because someone wrote an article and posted it on the 'Net doesn't make it the correct way of doing something.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
funkytechmonkey

I did this adjustment and also changed my front shocks at the same time. There is a very noticable difference in my steering.... not sure which one it is from, could be the shocks... but there is not as much play in the steering where and I dont feel like I am swaying all over the road.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:42 PM   #11
mdaven@aol.com

Glad to hear you are making progress and have minimized the problem.