The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
Curtis59

New guy, 59 GMC Truck

Wanted to say hello and introduce myself, along with give a short bio. I just bought a 59 gmc wildside (yes i have pics). I recently was awarded full custody of my son after a 8 year horrible divorce and move. I spent every day of my life with my son till he was 4 and I moved to a different state to start over my life. a few years ago I was injured on the job (teamster). Right after the injury my exwife was arrested for a bunch of differnt felonies and put in prison. I spent all my savings getting a lawyer and fighting for custody and trying to survive on work-comp. In 2010 I was awarded full custody of Drake (my son). Back in highschool i built my first vehicle (1976 chevy truck). I always saw the old chevy trucks as beautiful works of art. I figured why not try to find a truck to build with my boy and build our relationship. I grew up without a father and always missed those fun times. Anyways enough about me I am sure you all would rather hear about the truck! So a few weeks ago I was searching around and found a guy in my area with a 59 for sale. I went to take a look at it and got to chatting with his wife and him. His wife was raised where I grew up. Needless to say all three of us hit it off real well. Wound up talking about the truck. it lived in Canada for most of its life. however the PO, started the restore on it then lost interest and its just taking up space in his garage. It has all the original parts 2 spare windows (passenger/driver). The truck still has the original motor and trans (4 on the floor). So the PO is going to be getting the title moved over to colorado and then we will be putting it in my name. I have started to research a lot of different aspects of what i want to do with the truck. I know some may cringe but i plan on taking out the original motor and trans and putting in a LSx in it with a 4l60e. However to keep it somewhat original i am going to keep the solid front suspension. I thought about doing a front clip but alas i just cant chop out 50 years of history just for ride quality. And before you ask why even take out the original motor, this is due to living at 6000 feet and in a bowl. there are 2 passes north and south of me to go out of town and I plan on driving this truck not just letting it sit in the garage and fetching groceries. I want to have something that i can drive back home to california if i felt the need. Plus in a few years Drake will be getting his licence and i would love for him to be able to take his prom date to prom in it. or out with the boys every now and then. WOW this post got long! So without further a due. here are the pictures. all comments, questions, concerns, opinions are welcome!

and the last one was taken right before the PO parked it and started working on the front end

Thanks for looking
Curtis
Curtis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Curtis59

Re: New guy, 59 GMC Truck

edit - its a wideside.. not wildside.. typos yay!
Old 07-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
jimig1

very nice looking project. Glad to hear you are getting to do it with your son. When i grew up I was not able to spend a lot of time with my dad as he lived 6 hours away (and still does)and I would of loved to have done a project with him.
MSRA Member

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
-George Carlin
jimig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
mr48chev

Welcome to the board. That is a nice looking start on a big window fleetside.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
Daze57

great start of a project w/ your son hope he shares the interest !
my dad never had an interest in trucks - but alot of times he came out to see what i was doin - -shook his head and went back inside the house - i still miss that !
best of luck with your project and i hope it all goes well
wealth of info. on this site and really great guys to ask questions of.
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
Kim57

Welcome.
Looks like a real nice start.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
ejn74

Welcome to the site, awesome story on the truck and glad things are working out with your son.
ejn74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Welcome to the site. Thanks for posting pictures and keep them coming. We love pictures, well at least I do.lol
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:01 AM   #9
chopsspcc

SWEET!!! I have always built cars/trucks with my Dad. I know how special it is. Congrats on everything brother!!!!!!

Chops
chopsspcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:07 AM   #10
meter swinger

Thats a great story. Sounds like the begining of somthing great for everyone. Thats a great looking truck. Of course im partial to square 59s. And you cant go wrong with a jimmy one of my favorite memories of my dad was him and my oldest son and me riding to the hardware store in my truck. Good times. Welcome to the site.
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:42 AM   #11
BC Toy chest

Welcome aboard Curtis59. Please keep the photos coming. Do whatever you want to your truck you will get nothing but encouragement.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=432758
BC Toy chest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:51 AM   #12
Russell Ashley

Welcome, glad to hear a happy outcome with your situation. This might not be for everyone but I'd build it back to look like the picture, and build that original engine. You can make those six cylinder engines run really well, and they sound so sweet with a set of pipes.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #13
Curtis59

thanks for all the kind words about the project and my son! it really means a lot to me. The entire custody battle really drained me emotionally and has been really hard to overcome. I believe this project will help Drake and I bond even closer then we already have. He does have his bouts with depression over missing his half brothers and his mom. He loves it here with dad but sometimes it is hard on him, he is only ten after all. Thank you from the bottom of my heart on the comments about the custody stuff and the support for the project. Due to me being a bit of a jokester and sarcastic in nature I have decided to name her WildSide
Old 07-31-2011, 03:18 PM   #14
Mr GMC

Nice truck. I am a GMC guy. I noticed you did not post a picture of the front. Are your turn signals intact? They are the hardest part to find for a 58-59 GMC.
Mr GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:18 PM   #15
Curtis59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr GMC View Post
Nice truck. I am a GMC guy. I noticed you did not post a picture of the front. Are your turn signals intact? They are the hardest part to find for a 58-59 GMC.

the lenses are gone.. not to sure if the wiring is in there. I was looking on a couple sites like LMC and it seems that i can replace them if needed.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:36 PM   #16
Dan in Pasadena

Congrats on the purchase of course but mainly for perseveringly through the injury, divorce, etc. I'm sure it was PAINFUL physically, emotionally AND financially. I can relate having gone through a divorce after 20 yrs to my highschool sweetheart. No ex issues like you had nor injuries but I know what it is to be wiped out and have to remake your life. Took me about 6-7 years to be back on even financial footing. Kudos!

Funny, as a younger man I didn't much care for the GMC front ends. Now? I absolutely LOVE seeng them all redone in new chrome. SO 50's correct.
Posted via Mobile Device
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #17
Curtis59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Congrats on the purchase of course but mainly for perseveringly through the injury, divorce, etc. I'm sure it was PAINFUL physically, emotionally AND financially. I can relate having gone through a divorce after 20 yrs to my highschool sweetheart. No ex issues like you had nor injuries but I know what it is to be wiped out and have to remake your life. Took me about 6-7 years to be back on even financial footing. Kudos!

Funny, as a younger man I didn't much care for the GMC front ends. Now? I absolutely LOVE seeng them all redone in new chrome. SO 50's correct.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the kind words Dan!