The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
red70
Account Suspended

68-70 cruise lever

Does anyone know how to remove the top part of the 68-70 cruise lever so I can rechrome it?

Bryce
Posted via Mobile Device
red70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
ls1nova71

Re: 68-70 cruise lever

It's just pressed on the splined part of the metal lever, but they almost never come off with out breaking. I would just mask off the metal part, since the chrome they chrome plastic with doesn't involve any heat like chroming metal. Not worth risking breaking it if it's an original in my opinion.
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
red70
Account Suspended

Would that chrome paint that they sell nowadays work well on that or should I take it to a chromer. Can they chrome plastic
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
chewychevy67

i had my lever rechromed by chrome tech usa. I made a tool to get it apart without wrecking it. just have to be gentle. the metal part on mine needed rechroming as well. i am very happy with mine the waqy the chrome looks on both parts. if i can find pic's of the breakdown i will post. Rod.
chewychevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
red70
Account Suspended

Thanks rod if you can find those I would greatly appreciate it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #6
chewychevy67

i couldn't find the pictures so ill do my best to explain it for you. first i took the cruise knob off. you should be able just to pop ot off and then i took the switch retainer (star washer) out the end of the switch. when you get there it should be self expalnitory. then i slid the switch out of the end and there wlll be 3 wires soldered to the botton of it. mark these (i took pictures which i can`t find) so you dont mess them up. just take a solder gun, heat the solder up and the wires will come loose. you can cut them but will still have to solder them on afterwards. after pull the wires out the botom of the metal part. Then what i did was i took a brake line that was longger than the metal part that was the exact same size round as the metal part. i flared the end 90 degrees so it wouldn`t cut into the plastic. i then made a cut lengthwise thru the tube so it would slip over the metal part. being that it is longer than the metal part i was able to tap the end very gently till the plastic end came off the lever. this requires patience and will take time. from factory they are only pressed on. assembly will be exactly opposite but much easier. I hope this helps you. if i do find these i will still send them your way.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #7
chewychevy67

when you are tapping the plastic end off pit the end of the lever that screws into the signal swich into a vise. the angle it is at will alow you to still be able to hit the end of the tube. the curve at the end is why you have to split the tube fyi.