The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2011, 11:27 PM   #1
Andice

'64 Fenderside Project

We finally got the V6 engine from my donor truck into my project GMC. I've learned a lot in the past few weeks.
Attached Images

Andice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:36 AM   #2
wc63

Re: '64 Fenderside Project

that engine looks clean. from what i hear, you should have no problems with it. these v6's are like diamonds ''theyre for ever", thats what i told my wife anyway. mines not rebuilt, but i rarely have issues with it. who did your rebuild?
wc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:15 AM   #3
NorthstarGMC

I've been wondering what the demand for some basic aftermarket parts for the 305 would be. I could fab up jigs for a high rise intake and headers if I knew there were a couple hundred people at least interested in buying them. I think the 305 would be awesome with dual holley 500's sitting up on top and some drag pipes. I've wanted to make thermostat housing and a serp belt setup as well. Not enough time/money though. Man, it would be fun!
Old 07-31-2011, 05:58 AM   #4
glos55

I'm curious how these engines sound? In other words what would the exhaust note be with dual Flowmasters or Turbos or even Cherry bombs?
glos55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
Andice

We did not rebuild it. We replaced two bent pushrods, but never had the heads off. This truck had run on propane since the day it was purchased. The oil, oil pan and area beneath the valve covers were spotless. New hoses, plugs, points, condenser, coil, carb rebuild, fuel filter, etc. You can see the place on the top of the air cleaner where the propane hose was connected.

The most common aftermarket upgrades seem to be adding a Holley 400 carb and electronic ignition - both of which are on my short list of things to do.

The engine sounds great but no real tone to it yet as it is still shooting flames out of the manifolds due to the lack of exhaust pipes.

I've attached an image of the engine as it was found in February.
Attached Images

Andice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
wc63

i was wondering what that was on top of the air filter. i guess now i know. somenone in the phoenix area is selling one with that set up. its a little rich for my blood.http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/2473017743.html
i guess the reason your engine is so clean is becuase propane is already in gas form. from what i understand, the reason engines get carbon build up is beacuase gas in liquid form does not burn completely, leaving a little bit of carbon after every combustion. the fuel should be a gas/vapor in order to operate correctly (cooler running temp, lower emissions, longer engine life, etc). im planning to put my fuel through a vaporizer, before it gets to the carb. in order to test this theory out.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
wc63

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthstarGMC View Post
I've been wondering what the demand for some basic aftermarket parts for the 305 would be. I could fab up jigs for a high rise intake and headers if I knew there were a couple hundred people at least interested in buying them. I think the 305 would be awesome with dual holley 500's sitting up on top and some drag pipes. I've wanted to make thermostat housing and a serp belt setup as well. Not enough time/money though. Man, it would be fun!
i would be interested in intake and headers. i was planning on building some headers but getting ahold of the flanges is my issue, and i dont have a tube bender. then i was wondering why nobody uses tube for intakes. just have them connect to runners and a box setup at the carb. seems pretty basic but im not a fabricator. i have holley 500's in both of my gmc's and they are great for these engines. duel carbs would definatley increase hp but, these engines are not made to spin over 4000 rpm (from what i understand). you should try jolly's forum (60600gmcguy.com) they are crzy about these v6's im sure youll have several some takers, including me.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
wc63

Quote:
Originally Posted by glos55 View Post
I'm curious how these engines sound? In other words what would the exhaust note be with dual Flowmasters or Turbos or even Cherry bombs?
i tried a few methods in one of my trucks. first was straight pipes with the outlet behind the doors. that was way too loud. then i tried flowmaster knock offs, but left the open muffler under the cab. it sounded ok at idle but it was way too loud in cab while driving, the glove box and my windows would rattle. then i got 16 inch glass packs and ran them just in front of the rear tire. these sound great in my opinion. not quite the sound of the I6's but theyre not as obnoxious as a V8 with shor glass packs. i really like the sound. they are quite at idle and begin to rap at about 2000 rpm.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:53 AM   #9
NorthstarGMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc63 View Post
i would be interested in intake and headers. i was planning on building some headers but getting ahold of the flanges is my issue, and i dont have a tube bender. then i was wondering why nobody uses tube for intakes. just have them connect to runners and a box setup at the carb. seems pretty basic but im not a fabricator. i have holley 500's in both of my gmc's and they are great for these engines. duel carbs would definatley increase hp but, these engines are not made to spin over 4000 rpm (from what i understand). you should try jolly's forum (60600gmcguy.com) they are crzy about these v6's im sure youll have several some takers, including me.
I will keep you posted. I've got a lot on my plate but I've got a complete 305E that I am planning on rebuilding with those modification among others and will update the forum as it progresses.

As far as hearing the engine there are some great videos of it on YouTube that made me think twice about junking it out.

and just for kicks here's a V-12 in a GMC 1-Ton:

Also I see no reason why it can't push the 4000rpm range. It's a 60 degree GM big block and I see no reason why it can't coax more RPMs.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #10
wc63

these engines are built for low end torque. not really made for racing. if you've driven yours on the freeway you would surely redline before 70mph. mine starts screamin at around 60, but im sure my 205 tires and 4:11 gears have something to do with that. they are meant to idle at about 450rpm ( i happen to like that) and theyre horsepower ratings are based at 3800rpm
http://www.6066gmcguy.org/EngineData.htm
im not saying they wont handle the added revolutions. but i would feel insicure about driving it around like a 350, these are not v8's.