The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
Denee007

How to remove inner fender well?

'59 apache

One of these days when I pull out this 230 I6, I'll be cleaning the engine compartment very well and repainting it, and at the same time installing whatever power steering i"m going to be using. In doing so, can the inner fender come out without too much hassle, or better just to work around it during the PS install?
dne'

Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: How to remove inner fender well?

Inner fenders are the last part to go on. There are the bolts to the top of the fender, one at the bottom firewall to an L bracket off the firewall (keep track of the rubber grommet), hood hinge bracket bolt, two bolts that hold the upper radiator support, inner fender and fender together (accessed from inside the fender up by the headlight bucket), and one at the bottom of the radiator (watch for a rubber shim here). It should also have a rubber gasket along the complete firewall line, a lot of people leave those off. Wrestling it in an out of the compartment without scratching stuff up is a challenge because of the angle that sticks out at the back. I was all excited about installing mine until I realized I needed to hang the fenders and grille first....
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Denee007

How peculiar! but in my case, that's great! Make putting the power steering install much easier, and repainting the inner fender much easier! The hood will be coming off anyway for the engine~ Thanks Orrie!
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #4
dicer

If your saving the inner fenders for last then the whole radiator support and grill etc, would have to be out. I think it will be easier to put them in before the outer fenders, just tape and protect the fenders.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote